Coz...Good snorkeling spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be in Coz in December on a cruise. While my honey and I are divers, the parents are not. We want a spot where we can all snorkel together.

I know that the recommended spots are usually north of town. But the current wouldn't be good for them.

Out of the southern beaches, what would you recommend?

We were there in July and spent one day at Paradise Beach. While people raved about it, I thought it was awful. There just wasn't much to see as there weren't many hard structures to attract fish.

Any suggestions?

Hi Donna,

I didn't get your PM or your e-mail (per your message in another thread)...don't know what happened!

No surprise that Paradise beach was awful snorkeling, it's a sandy bottom with no reef structures at all. The truth is that the best snorkeling is going to be by boat to the reefs, like Palancar Gardens and Columbia shallows.

Eagle Ray Divers actually offers a nice family package for divers and snorkelers and they cater to cruise ship schedules. Give Chellie a shout at chellie@eagleraydivers.com

If you're looking for something from shore, I don't have any solid recommendations...sorry!

A few years ago we stayed at Plaza Las Glorias (forget what it's called now) and had some nice snorkeling there. We even saw octopus on some night snorkeling.

Paco:
A few years ago we stayed at Plaza Las Glorias (forget what it's called now) and had some nice snorkeling there. We even saw octopus on some night snorkeling.

Cozumel Palace now and not open to the public. God cannot even get through the front door if he's not a hotel guest :)

Just got back from Coz myself. The only place I snorkled was in front of the hotel Fiesta Americana towards the SW end of the island. There were others who came to snorkle there as well. Theres not really a beach but some steps down to a sandy access area, there are palapas and a fresh water shower there as well. From the looks of it the hurricane did a good number tearing up the coral that was there. But even 10 feet from shore there was plenty to see-smal sting rays, small barracuda and numerous other fish; even saw a few cleaner shrimp and some small reef fish that had set up cleaning stations for the larger ones. You can go out further say 50 yards or so and be in 15-20' with plenty to see and more intact coral structures. Current was light and you could easily fin up current a ways and then let the current bring you back to the hotel.
Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, and the fish there are used to being fed, they swim right up looking for a handout. I'm sure that if you brought some of that tube-fish-snack stuff you would have a feeding frenzy. Also, this part of the island is only a 6$ 5 minute cab ride from where the cruise boats disembark.

grassyknoll:
Oh yeah, and the fish there are used to being fed, they swim right up looking for a handout. I'm sure that if you brought some of that tube-fish-snack stuff you would have a feeding frenzy. Also, this part of the island is only a 6$ 5 minute cab ride from where the cruise boats disembark.

Feeding the fish is against marine park rules, I believe, and I think FA is in the park. I could be wrong on either point, though.... ;^)

FA is within marine park boundaries, so DO NOT feed the fish. Even if it wasn't within the marine park, you should not feed the fish.

Back
Top Bottom