Top 10 dive sites on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anywhere you dive will be a great dive.
I have been on all of them and there is not a bad dive. I could dive the same spot 10 times and each time would be differant and beautiful.

Have fun and enjoy it all. Take your time and look also at the tiny things.

Seriously, just go with it. Reserve a night dive on Paradise and enjoy the view!

jjwdiver:
Seriously, just go with it. Reserve a night dive on Paradise and enjoy the view!

I aint often right but I've never been wrong, it seldom turns out like it does in the song...

But once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right.

Staying on the south end of the island, you probably will not get the oportunity to dive the more northerly sites. That is really good news because the southern reefs are generally better than the northern reefs. You will also have the opportunity to dive the southern shallow reefs at night which is normally only available to those staying south. If you don't mind a fairly shallow dive, one of my favorites is Columbia Shallows. Many ops will dive the deep walls of Columbia but then travel north during the surface interval so they are closer to home after the 2nd dive. Columbia shallows is 25 to 30 ft max with large coral structures extending to within 6 ft of the surface. This structure was relatively uneffected by last years hurricanes. Depending on the operator you are diving with, this dive can easily last for well over an hour. What are the dates you will be there?

The best advice I can give is to talk with the DM on the boat, let him know what dives you want to do and what you'ld like to see. walls & pennicles, swim thrus, sharks, rays, big grouper, small critters...whatever.

These folks dive there nearly every day and know the current conditions and the best places to go.

A short list of fav's is, in no particular order, Paradise, Yucab, Santa Rosa wall, Dalila, Columbia Shallows and Deep, even the C-53 can be cool although the reef still needs to develop on it some...actually the list just goes on and on.

But these are just names and my diving may not be your kind of diving or anyone elses so trust the DM, a good one won't steer you wrong.

I usually say stand on the beach and point to the water...that's the good diving in Coz.

I would highly recommend getting a book called the "Cozumel dive guide & log book", I think it can be bought on-line, but you can pick it up at a lot of the dive shops on Coz.

It maps out the location, depths and topography of most of the major dive sites on Coz as well as a breif written description of each. It also has coral and fish ID cards, current info, general weather and marine park info and regulations. well worth $20US or maybe $25?

We dove there for 5 days in mid September and every site was great. We actually just talked to the DM and I told him I love turtles and want to see lots of them. Every dive we found turtles. If you tell them what you want they will know were to take you. You figure the DM's dive all the sites so many times they would know what the best ones are for what you want to see. My fav though was Santa Rosa and Paradise deep.
Have fun
Stacy

sharky60:
I would highly recommend getting a book called the "Cozumel dive guide & log book", I think it can be bought on-line, but you can pick it up at a lot of the dive shops on Coz.

It maps out the location, depths and topography of most of the major dive sites on Coz as well as a breif written description of each. It also has coral and fish ID cards, current info, general weather and marine park info and regulations. well worth $20US or maybe $25?

I recently bought that book - it's a neat read!

Once you arrive to Cozumel, and get in the water, you will know what we are talking about. Follow the divemasters lead. He or she should consider the general makeup of skill levels on board, then depending on the day and conditions make a good recommendation. Very often, seasoned Cozumel divers on board will have input and it all works out. My husband, family, friends and I have never been disappointed with our divemasters. I have 55 dives in Cozumel, many of them repeats and never once have been disappointed. Shallow dives will give you a lot of critters and longer bottom time to enjoy the beautiful water. Deeper dives, will give you wonderful swim throughs and coral formations. Have a glorious time in Cozumel and don't forget your trip report! Sue Sue

Back
Top Bottom