To Dive or Not to Dive... That is the Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harpua

Contributor
Reaction score
We are arriving at 9:00am on March 3rd. WooHoo! Now then, this begs the question, and I have seen it go both ways... IF properly hydrated and well rested... would it be safe to pick up and afternoon dive (or maybe a night dive if I can scrounge one) on that day. I am leaning toward the NOT option so as to be safe and conservative. However, I hate to miss a rare opportunity to get in another dive if it is really safe. I don't fully remember the "rule" for post-flight dives, and my book is at home. What do y'all think. My last resort would be snorkeling at Dzul Ha. Oh jeeze. What a drag :) mmm fish tacos... mmm...

You can definitely dive the day you arrive. Infact, just got back from a weekend in Cozumel. We arrived at 10:30 AM on Friday, and were in the water by 3:00 PM.

The rule is based on how long to wait before flying after diving. You can dive after flying with no problems.

I agree that there isn't a "rule" about diving post flight, the "rule" applies to flying after diving. Like Jinjer, I have also gone diving the afternoon I arrive--we usually get early morning flights from DFW and are there early enough to pick up an afternoon trip. (Edit: Jinjer I just noticed you're in Dallas too! LOL)

However, your statement "IF properly hydrated and well rested" is a good measurement. Drink LOTS of water and make sure you get a good night's rest the night before. Any kind of travel, even on a short flight, can be taxing on your body. If you get there and feel at all tired or "weird' I wouldn't dive. Follow your instincts--only you know what you're capable of doing.

Now I'm not a doctor, that's just good old fashioned common sense. :)

I went to Coz in June and as luck would have it everything went so smoothly that I was ready for a dive one hour after the plane landed. Even had time for a decent lunch.

Look at it this way. You go there to dive. Any time not in the water is wasted. It's going to depend on your own comfort level at the moment.

bfisher:
Look at it this way. You go there to dive. Any time not in the water is wasted.

With all due respect, that is not at all the way I look at it. I started going to Cozumel in 1978, and I didn't start diving until the early 90's. I stay long enough to get myself on island time, and whether I'm diving, eating at one of my fave restaurants, fighting a marlin, playing in the surf over on the "wild side", or just sitting with a cold cervesa staring at that unbelievable blue on blue on blue of sky and water, I'm on vacation and "being here now". YMMV.

Heck, I'm ALWAYS on "Island Time" no downshifting for me :wink:

Dive away my friend!

harpua:
We are arriving at 9:00am on March 3rd. WooHoo! Now then, this begs the question, and I have seen it go both ways... IF properly hydrated and well rested... would it be safe to pick up and afternoon dive (or maybe a night dive if I can scrounge one) on that day. I am leaning toward the NOT option so as to be safe and conservative. However, I hate to miss a rare opportunity to get in another dive if it is really safe. I don't fully remember the "rule" for post-flight dives, and my book is at home. What do y'all think. My last resort would be snorkeling at Dzul Ha. Oh jeeze. What a drag :) mmm fish tacos... mmm...

Harpua,

As long as you make prior arrangements with your dive operator and don't have any unforeseen problems such as health, weather or delayed luggage, you should not have any problem diving the day you arrive if you want to...

As an example, we land on Friday 3 Nov in the morning from Dallas and will get in at least two dives in the afternoon and some of us are planning to stay on the boat for a night dive... We have a private charter lined up with Scuba Toys and the operator has agreed to accommodate our schedule.

If we were staying a week, we would not be doing three dives the day we land but since we are only staying for a long weekend, the idea is to check in, gear up and get wet... The night dive the first night is better for short weekend trips (IMHO), that way you can experience the island life that Gordon mentioned both Sat & Sun night without having to get ready for the night dive... This is also based on the fact that we have a very easy 2 hour flight from Dallas and are in the same time zone...

Enjoy your time on the island... By planning now as you are doing, you are sure to have a great time!

Enjoy,

Blue Moon

What airline gets you to Coz in the morning from Dallas? We're going in April and the earliest I find is AA arriving at 1pmish.

Trainacomin:
What airline gets you to Coz in the morning from Dallas? We're going in April and the earliest I find is AA arriving at 1pmish.

We almost always fly the charters from DFW. Both Ryan and Champion fly direct to Cozumel and Cancun. Best bet is to book them via Worry Free Vacations or FunJet. If you can depart DFW on a Monday or Tuesday, you can get a fantastic deal that starts at $79 round trip before taxes....

The weekend flights tend to cost around $300 or so round trip... First flight is at 8 AM and arrives Cozumel around 10:30 AM but that one fills up fast.... Great deals if you stay at Casa Mexicana and fly Worry Free....

Enjoy,

Blue Moon

Back
Top Bottom