Airline advice to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveandPuttGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
O.K., I know airfares are one of the unsolved questions of the human race, but it's my first trip to Coz next February 16-25, & airfare to Coz is starting at $780 RT from Ohio. Is this in line with what others have to pay, or can I hope to find a better deal by waiting? Any tips will be greatly appreciated. :huh:

I know it may not be the cheapest, but if you do hotel and air through Apple or Funjet, you get a decent price with support, transfers and extras. Sometimes I travel without them, but usually get a good deal with hotel and air.

Usually I pay around $350 from San Antonio, occasionally less. This next trip (Nov) I had to pay $600 to Cancun...it's a strong statement of my Cozumel addiction that I actually plunked down the cash for that ticket.

I used to fly from Charleston WV and it was a little more, but $780 sounds excessive if you're flying from eiher Cleveland or Cinncinnati. Some cities are just expensive to Mexico. Try going to Cancun and see what that does to the fare. It's an easy bus-ferry trip to Coz from Cancun. Just don't book your return flight early in the morning or you'll have to go to Cancun the night before, which I personally would consider a nightmare!

Another possibility, which rarely comes up on this forum, would be to investigate (damn, I forgot all about this when booking the last trip) going to Merida; it's a really nice city about a 3 hr bus ride from Playa del Carmen. This would change the nature of your trip as you'd undoubtedly spend a night or two in Merida, but to me that would be a plus if you have the time.

Considering that you will be travelling during a peak time (Carnival), the fares you found may not be completely off the mark. We're travelling there the following week (Feb. 24th through March 4th) from NYC and our airfare came up to $478 after tax, tag and title. If/when we've gone during the late summer/fall, we've gotten it in the $350 range.

YMMV.

DiveandPuttGuy:
O.K., I know airfares are one of the unsolved questions of the human race, but it's my first trip to Coz next February 16-25, & airfare to Coz is starting at $780 RT from Ohio. Is this in line with what others have to pay, or can I hope to find a better deal by waiting? Any tips will be greatly appreciated. :huh:
Aso paco mentioned, you can do Apple or Funjet, but nobody says you have to book a hotel with them. They usually offer cheaper flight only options on their charter than the major airlines. Another option is to fly into Cancun which is usually much cheaper. Figure 2-3 hours to get from Cancun to Cozumel and about $20 each way but sometimes spending $40 can save you several hundred.

As a general rule you can fly into Cancun for substantially less than what you pay to fly to Cozumel. From there you can take a van or bus to Playa Del Carmen and take the ferry over to cozumel. It is a bit inconvenient but it can be a big savings. I did it this past summer and saved over $200 p/p. A $600 plus saving for my family.

we just very recently booked flights from seattle to cozumel (in december) for $608 apiece. i have been watching fares by checking various travel and airline sites pretty often, so when i found that price i knew it wouldn't last. the next day that exact ticket had gone up by about $90. (i was glad i had placed a 24-hour hold at the cheaper price!)

We just came back from Coz last weekend. We booked through Funjet....$612/pp all inclusive. (of course going during Carnival could be quite a bit more) This was also out of Dallas, so we started a bit closer :)

mase:
As a general rule you can fly into Cancun for substantially less than what you pay to fly to Cozumel.

Maybe yes, maybe no. From here (Austin) there seldom is any significant difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom