Dive shop for fins..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are thinking of leaving our bootie/fin combos at home this time,and buying some barefoot type fins when we get there.
Are they WAY more expensive at the Coz dive shops?
Any approximate prices?
This is kind of a last minute decision, as we leave on Thursday morning.

This interests me as well, I head down to Coz on Nov 5 and I'm comtemplating new fins. I don't know whether to go with barefoot style or buy booties and open-heel fins.

Always buy your gear at home.....you will not save any money plus you are spending your vacation time shopping.....

full foot fins or open heel....I prefer the open heel....never know when you are gonna need those booties to walk over hot sand or sharp rocks.....but everyone has their favorite.....for Coz full foot fins will probably work since you are mostly diving off a boat...

My husband had a strap break on his fins last Dec on the 2nd day of diving. It was quickly apparent that since it wasn't Mares or Cressi we weren't going to find a strap that fit so we started looking at fins. From what we saw, the two biggest stores that are cross-corner from eachother (I think one is the Mares store and the other sells lots of Cressi?) had a decent selection and prices but limited brands. The shop across the street from Scuba Club has a more limited selection but prices were a little lower. You would be able to find something but it may not be the exact make and model you want. If you don't find something you love at the first store you go to, or if you want to see everything and price check before buying, then you're going to be fin shopping at least a full afternoon into the evening.

I would get what you want at home unless you have no choice. Or at the very least bring your fins & booties and know that you have them in case you don't find what you want.

I like the full foot fins, I wear socks with them on a boat dive. I made the big mistake of taking them to Bonaire....very tough on the feet shore diving!
I would buy at home for more choice and less $.

Yeah remember Cozumel is an island and EVERYTHING is imported, so dive gear is going to be generally more expensive than it is at home.

a lot of people that are doing mostly boat dives are going to the full foot fin. I still haven't found a fin I like better than my 25 year old ScubaPro Jetfins, I love them babies!

Personally...buy at home....open foot.....spring straps dont break (at least never heard of any breaking)....love those booties to walk on the shore

I had forgotten how handy (or footie?) the booties are when walking on the sand, etc. Thanks for the reminder, all!

Also,In my experience, purchases in Coz are non-returnable if it just doesn't work out. Exchange for store credit is a remote maybe if the product is in the orginal package, unused, unopened and back to the store within a day.....Make your purchases before you go. Sue Sue

FWIW, most of the ops have plenty of full-foot fins that you can rent really cheaply.

Back
Top Bottom