Certified in coz!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scram Bulleggs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
After many years of snorkling I finally got under the water. Did all my class and pool work in NY. Got to coz and did my check outs with http://www.pelagicventures.com/. Troy the owner was my instructor. He has to be the most laid back Canadian I have ever met. After 10 minutes it felt like you were diving with a friend.

Once my cert dives were done we got to go chase the fish around. Troy was great. Stayed right with me the whole week and really made sure I saw as much as possible. A couple from Texas joined us on some of our dives and they were great, very patient with me the newb on the boat.

We saw so many things that I never saw from teh surface it was amazing. Troy found a tiny pipe fish on the sand bed and we were looking at it through a magnifying glass he handed to us. We saw many turtles on our dives. Got to see a Splendid Toad Fish. Amazing creature. Had an eagle ray swim right up and under us.

Got to see a large Nurse shark slowly swimming in the open. A giant green moray made a distant appearance but was heading the other way so we only got to see him for a short time. Our last day we saw a school (I know they don't really school) of black tips. They were every direction we looked. One stayed below us for awhile. It really was great. I still could do without the curious cuda's following my heals heh.

It was a shame to see the island so empty. I guess people assume its as bad off as New Orleans after the storm. We had the awesome weather. It did shower a couple of times but it lasted a few minutes then dried up. We only went to one reef that looked in bad shape still covered in sand. The rest of teh reefs really looked great. Its amazing how quickly the coral make a come back. Saw very few softies though.

One thing we did notice was that the island was showing signs of westernization(sp). We did all of out meals in local resteraunts and they were great. The smiles you receive are great. Makes you feel very welcome where ever we went. The only exception was a place right where we stayed. I guess it was more for teh cruisers. Was a coffee/dessert place called rocken java or the like. Very unfriendly it fealt like a cafe' in NYC, everyone seemed to be in a rush no time for an hola ect.

If you do go with Pelagic Ventures request troy or Alex. Great guys and they make sure you enjoy. Both have many many years of experience and it showed.

Hey welcome to the family, glad you had a great trip. It always helps when you have a good instructor to get you off to the right start diving!

Too bad you didn't good service at Rock-n-Java, it's one of my favorite places, Lisa make some of the best pies and cakes your going to find on the isalnd and I have had nothting but excellent food and service whenever I've been there. Oh well, I guess everyone has a bad day :wink:

Thanks for the report! Informative. I have to say that Rock n Java is probably my favorite restaurant on the island for consistancy. Beware of the display case of baked goodies, it's evil I swear!!!!

A favorite breakfast stop for us too.

Rock n Java has the best pies and cakes as well as breakfast stuff on the island. Always happy when we stop by..to bad, you should try again next trip.
Congratualtions on getting certified! Its a great sport! Enjoy!

Try R&J again on your next trip (By the sound of your review, there will be a next trip). We've had friendly service, albeit laid back island style. Don't confuse relaxed service with bad service; remember you're not in "the city." The food is consistently good, especially their salads and burgers. Desserts aren't too shabby either.

Welcome to the board!

nyprrthd:
Try R&J again on your next trip (By the sound of your review, there will be a next trip). We've had friendly service, albeit laid back island style. Don't confuse relaxed service with bad service; remember you're not in "the city." The food is consistently good, especially their salads and burgers. Desserts aren't too shabby either.

Welcome to the board!

I'm not singling anyone out here, but sometimes we gringos, used to the US style of service, think we are getting bad service in Mexico when the check is not promptly brought to the table after the meal. In Hispanic culture, it is considered rude to bring the check before it is requested.

Oh I much prefer things done in a mexican minute. My refrence was the opposite. But no matter not what the thread was about. Maybe a comment better left off.

au contraire. I've had uneven service there. Sometimes it's been great, sometimes it's been extremely slow, cold food etc. Seems to depend on how busy they are. And that's a worry when you have a dive boat to catch.

Scram Bulleggs:
Oh I much prefer things done in a mexican minute. My refrence was the opposite. But no matter not what the thread was about. Maybe a comment better left off.

Back
Top Bottom