Type of Wetsuit in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whisky_Tango

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello again,

Aside from the obvious mask, fin, snorkel combo that I will be bringing to Coz in January, I was wondering if there is any other essential MUST BRINGS that I should purchase before I go? On the top of my wish list is my own BC, but I don't think that I will make that purchase prior to the trip.

One thing I do intend on buying is a warm water wet suit, probably a shorty type. I have seen some reasonably priced suits ranging from 2mm to 5mm. Would a 2mm shorty suit suffice for Coz in January? I am fairly tolerant to cooler temps, but as I don't have a lot of diving experience, I am not sure how comfortable I would be. Any other smaller, (ie. low pack weight), items I should buy and bring to make my life easier or dives more enjoyable?

Cheers,

Todd

Hello Todd,

I too am tolerant of cooler water and wear a 3m shorty, but I'm fat and hairy so I've got natural insulation. If you are only going to dive 2 days, that will probably be OK. The longer you stay and dive the cooler you will feel. I'm good on air so 70-80min dives are normal for me and by the 3rd day I start to get chilled. Also the air temp will be cooler so you feel cold out of the water.

The 5m shorty would be better or a 3m full. A hood makes a big difference too. Many divemasters wear them but they are wet every day.

Bring SWIM EAR to help dry the ears and prevent ear infections. This is a must for HS and college swimmers, find it at most drug stores. Mask defogger, extra mask strap, extra fin strap. These are all small and inexpensive but worth it to save a dive. Most operators will have limited or no extras on the boat but they will have tools to tighten hoses.

You must dive with a divemaster in Cozumel so they have all the safety signaling devices with them. I carry a whistle and sausage anyway but have only used them once in 10 years and over 400 dives in Coz.

First time in Coz? rent a camera or buy one for those great underwater memories.

I'll be there Jan 12-17 when will you be there?

Whisky_Tango:
Hello again,

Aside from the obvious mask, fin, snorkel combo that I will be bringing to Coz in January, I was wondering if there is any other essential MUST BRINGS that I should purchase before I go? On the top of my wish list is my own BC, but I don't think that I will make that purchase prior to the trip.

One thing I do intend on buying is a warm water wet suit, probably a shorty type. I have seen some reasonably priced suits ranging from 2mm to 5mm. Would a 2mm shorty suit suffice for Coz in January? I am fairly tolerant to cooler temps, but as I don't have a lot of diving experience, I am not sure how comfortable I would be. Any other smaller, (ie. low pack weight), items I should buy and bring to make my life easier or dives more enjoyable?

Cheers,

Todd

I dive with a 3 mm one piece full suit the year round in Cozumel. During the cooler months I wear my drysuit hood as I don't tolerate cold very well. My wife on the other hand simply wears a dive skin the year round and will wear a 3mm shorty from Nov. - March.

Since you stated you have not dove in Cozumel before you are aware that all diving is drift diving. Even though the divemasters ask that you stay several feet off the reefs you do see people with road rash. And it often takes weeks or months to totally get over it. This would be an advantage of the full suit and besides if you get a little warm just open the top a little.

Don't forget some sort of jacket for your surface interval. Something that will block wind would be best. Sue

I use a 3mil full suit in the winter, shorty in the summer. This fall water temps are up so I'll probably bring both when I'm there in a few weeks. Most divers in Cozumel in January are wearing full suits, if that helps you. The idea of bringing your own suit to Coz is a great one and will probably have more direct impact on your diving comfort than any other piece of gear. You've probably heard this before, but fit is everything in a wetsuit, so try on several with some help. This is one area in which a good LDS can be extremely helpful.

in the over 100 dives I have made in Coz I have never worn anything but a microprene suit. My wife wears an O'Neil Microfleece and we have never been cold

Whisky_Tango:
Hello again,

Cheers,

Todd

For Cozumel you should also bring a safety sausage. The smaller size ones that clip onto a D-ring on your BC are fine. If the dive operator you're using doesn't provide towels, jackets, etc., then you'll also want to bring a lined windbreaker and a long sleeved tshirt or lightweight sweatshirt for the boat and SI's.

If I wasn't able to buy a full set of gear all at once, I would put a reg and computer ahead of the BCD on the list. I would also invest in a good quality, proper fitted wetsuit before a BC.

Water temps in January will average around 78-79. Most people wear a full 3mm and many add a vest or core warmer after a few days if they're diving for a week or longer. I get cold easily and more so drift diving since I'm not doing that much so I wear a 5mm.

Hi Whisky_Tango,

Thermal comfort is quite idiosyncratic, so what will be of most use to you is knowing what scuba temps to anticipate.

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "7mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, expect Coz scuba temps of ~79 plus/minus a degree in Jan. Personally, and your MMV, I like being warm and if I was doing multiple dives over multiple days at that temp I'd take a 3 mil full. If you get a bit too warm during a dive, you can always let some water into the suit. It's much harder to warm up. Also, take a beanie or hood just in case. They're light and easy to pack and can make a big difference if you need them.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

As I expected, lots of personal preferences and opinions. After reading some of this advise and some input from my local DM (not to mention finding a good sale) I have purchased a 3mm full suit. I think what really decided me was the protection against road rash and stings.

I may end up getting a shorty along the line if I find it to be too warm, or once some summer diving comes my way. Next purchase will be some boots and strap fins.

Thanks for the input everyone. Cheers,

Todd

Whisky_Tango:
As I expected, lots of personal preferences and opinions. After reading some of this advise and some input from my local DM (not to mention finding a good sale) I have purchased a 3mm full suit. I think what really decided me was the protection against road rash and stings.

I may end up getting a shorty along the line if I find it to be too warm, or once some summer diving comes my way. Next purchase will be some boots and strap fins.

Thanks for the input everyone. Cheers,

Todd

A full 3mm is a great choice. If you are diving for 6-7 days doing 2 or more dives a day in January anywhere in the Caribbean, you shouldn't find that to be too warm. There are some people who dive in bathing suits or skins year-round, but the majority of divers you'll see will be wearing a 3mm or more. On the off chance that you are warm you can always open the zipper a bit or just give the neck or wrists a tug to let in some water and cool down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom