Back from Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Zimmerly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Returned last Wednesday from a two week stay in Coz, fourth time there and it was better than ever.

Scuba Club
The first week I would be alone. GF would come down next week. The Scuba Club fit my needs. Its a no-frills kinda place. Basic room with fridge, hair dryer, alarm clock and racks outside your room to dry your gear. My room was on the third floor with a patio and nice view of the ocean. Always plenty of towels and pleasantries from the maids. The bed was kinda hard but I have come to expect this in most of Coz. They assigned me to a boat with five other divers to one DM. Diving was varied, the most challenging being Punta Sur. I quickly realized that for once I was the diver with more experience and greater SAC rate. It seemed guys were always asking me how much air I had after a dive and then explaining why they didn’t. Amusing. Anyways, the reefs are coming back and it seemed that there were more small fish than before. Saw a greater number of Angel fishes than in previous years. Had the pleasure of seeing a pod of six dolphins follow in the wake of our boat on one of the rides out. Water viz was 100-125+ and around 85f. Currents were mild the first week and actually had the experience of being on a dive and having the current change direction three times.

The food. Well, I’m not a picky eater, but the food was “O.K.” Lots of it, but recycled from lunch to dinner with lots of rice and beans. I think the food at Fantasy Island, Roatan was better. The bar price for a wine was $5 US. Off to Chedrul where I bought a couple of bottles for much less and proceeded to have a evening ritual of talking to people, drinking wine and watching the sun set on the patio.

Cozumel Palace
By the end of the first week I had settled in to my daily routine, and while everyone was packing to the airport, I hailed a taxi and went up the street to the Palace. Ah, the Palace. My GF showed up around 13:30 and after lunch and cocktails we went to Dive Paradise to fill out the paperwork. Then back to the Palace. What a difference. From the soft beds, excellent food, two-person jacuzzi (which works great for rinsing dive gear), service to the level of catering, it cannot be beat. The next morning we were picked in a fast boat and were pleased to learn that there would be only one other diver with us for the week. Sweet. Since he was a photographer, we decided to do the shallower dives. We like to look at the fish. We all had a great time and half way through the week, he and his wife took us to the other side of the island for sightseeing and cocktails. The Nortes did blow through for a couple of days and one day we didn’t dive, but made up for it the next day.

All in all a wonderful, relaxing vacation and cannot wait to go back. Cozumel will always be my favorite place to go.

Personnel Notes:
- Passed my 100th dive in the second week.
- Did my first solo dives (only at 22 ft in front of the Scuba Club)
- Used my SMB twice out of necessity. GF and I had to ascend earlier because of her air. When we came up, there were swells and the boat was a long way off.
- My SAC rate is greatly improving, coming up with at least 1000-1200 psi (45-50 min) on the first dives and 1200-1500 psi (45-60 min) on the second dives.
- I was the only diver in two groups to have a Save-A-Dive Kit, and it was used by others a few times.
- Took off an additional 2 lbs of weight of my belt.
- Lost 5 lbs of weight (body mass).
- Baby shampoo works the best for mask defog.

Regards,
Dave (aka “Squirt”)

Sounds great. I'm looking at going soon. Is the Paradise an all-inclusive? Sounds like it is the better place to stay. What are your recommendations.

Dive Paradise is the dive operation we use when staying at the Palace. The Palace is all-inclusive (+booze) and diving, Scuba Club is also all-inclusive (-booze) and diving. Depends on your comfort level. For my GF, nothing but the best when in Coz. Check out BayAdventures.com for info on packages. We have been using them for the past three years with no complaints.

Regards,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

We are leaving Mon for Cozumel and just wanted to know what you thought of Dive Paradise.

Thanks for the report, our first dive trip was with SC in 2003 and we like them. So was the dive paradise just as good as them?

Dave,

Have you ever stayed at the Hotel Cozumel? If so how does it compare to the Palace?

NDH:
We are leaving Mon for Cozumel and just wanted to know what you thought of Dive Paradise.

Thanks for the report, our first dive trip was with SC in 2003 and we like them. So was the dive paradise just as good as them?

We like Dive Paradise because of the fast boats, fewer divers, longer bottom times, quicker boat rides and the extra services they provide. On the other hand, if you don't like doing back rolls, need shade and are prone to sea sickness, fast boats may not be for you. I'm sure everyone has their favorite dive ops and can argue their merits, but for us, we will stick with Dive Paradise.

Regards,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

Dave Zimmerly:
We like Dive Paradise because of the fast boats, fewer divers, longer bottom times, quicker boat rides and the extra services they provide. On the other hand, if you don't like doing back rolls, need shade and are prone to sea sickness, fast boats may not be for you. I'm sure everyone has their favorite dive ops and can argue their merits, but for us, we will stick with Dive Paradise.

Regards,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

I have nothing whatsoever against DP, but fast boats, small groups, long BT's (dive your computer), quick boat rides, etc. are not points which set DP apart from all or even most ops on Cozumel; such things are pretty much the norm. Most of the small boats have shade, too.

Dave Zimmerly:
In my opinion, there are no comparisions to the Palace. Check out
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ for what other people say.

Regards,
Dave

Dave,

After further investigation I agree with you. Of course, there is a slight price difference, too. And me, being a frugal individual and just a diver, I'll pass on the Palace. Thanks for the comeback.

We returned on Nov. 12 after a week at the Coz Palace - it was fantastic. I only wish they served more authentic Mexican food but who can complain when you can get almost everything else you want or need.
We dove a couple days with Dive with Martin and one day with Blue XTSea both are great dive ops and highly recommend either of them, although with DWM ask for the fast boat, our first day was rather slow and toasty above water.
I cant wait to go back but gotta earn some $$$ first!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom