El Cid versus Reef Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I would appreciate a comparison of El Cid La Ceiba and Reef Club Cozumel. I am familiar with the locations but would appreciate feedback on quality of accomodations, quality of service and how the AI food is.

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

We've stayed at both. We prefer El Cid because the room service was much more prompt and thorough than Reef Club. The rooms at El Cid are much better and all ocean view. The staff was more friendly and personable at El Cid to us. Just my 2 cents worth opinion. (We didn't do AI at El Cid, so I can't comment on that, but I can say the snacks we had at the restaurant were better than the same ol things the Reef Club had out for it's buffets!!!) Enjoy your trip no matter which you choose!

Never been to El Cid but Cozdreamer is right about the roomsevice at Reef. Don't know about how long ago Cozdreamer was at Reef but over the last four years it has improved greatly. The buffet since Wilma has improved 100%. I'm a fussy eater and found something every meal I could eat. At least 5 entres for dinner sometime carved meat and made to order faitas. The snack bar open 10-5 and 9-1am was newly built 2 years ago and improved after wilma, hot dogs--burgers--GREAT RIBLETS--fries--chiken nuggets--pizza.

Must pay extra for ocean front room. the rooms are in small buildings its not a high rise but you might get 3rd floor and no elevators. This may be a draw back.

The entire resort was redone this year and is in great shape. I was there in Oct and will be again in Dec

Lou

I don't know much about El Cid, but Reef Club is better than ever. Great improvement after Wilma. I am a travel agent and I was there two weeks ago.
The have a new restaurant right next to the dive operation that is great for breakfast and dinner. Ocean view and very peaceful.
When are you traveling?

"El Cid" or La Ceiba as I still fondly think of it was our Cozumel home for years, we love the location, I personally think it's one of the best on the island, some folks don't like the proxemity to the cruise ship pier, but my wife are people watchers, and that's some good people watching there!

The local staff have always been like family to us. The waitstaff and bartenders are always happy to see us & front desk manager Ester, has gone out of her way on many occations to help us out and always welcomes us with a big grin and a "welcome home"

Most if not all the rooms have been renovated now and are larger than they used to be & the restaurants have always served good food and again service has always been friendly and hospitable. Then new renovations since Wilma are just beautiful although they did get rid of one of the pools.

Plus my friends Holly and Armando's shop, Island Photo is on property and it made it very convienient to take care of my photo needs.

I was also told in May that they have not rebuilt the pier yet and had no plans to, divers were having to walk up the street a couple of blocks to use another pier. They also did not appear to have a dive shop on site anymore, although Dive with Martin's shop is very close at the International Pier.

In fact, the new owners, El Cid, seem to have decided to be less "diver friendly" in general. We did the time share dog-n-pony show a couple of years ago to find out some info on the direction the company was taking the property, and the sales guy pretty much made it clear that divers were not the main clientel they were looking for.

He flat out said, word for word "I don't give a damn about diving", to a prospective client and someone who he knew were divers! Not to mention the main reason this island has become what it is, is because of the dive industry!

They seemed to be shooting for retired couples and families, with their condo style, multi-bedroom, rooms.

If they have worked out the "diving issues" I would still highly recommend the place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom