Video of Eagle Rays in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebes11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got back on Saturday and threw this together because I wanted to share my first encounter with Eagle Rays. Too bad they came in at ~80ft. when I could no longer go below 40. Thanks to Pedro at Blue XT~Sea for having a sharp eye and pointing them out before they were anything more than shadows in the distance. I think he stole Steve Austin's eye (am I dating myself here?)

www.jaxabbeyflooring.com/movies/eagleray.mpg

Please download to your computer before playing as my bandwith is limited.

to eric: working on getting everything burned to a disc, be patient!

that is a pretty cool video. Too bad you couldn't get closer. Although I hear they are easily spooked.

Nice video, Hopefully I'll see some next week when I'm in Cozumel....

Beautiful ! What dive site were you at? Sue

It was taken during our last 10 minutes of our dive at Columbia Deep. It's the beginning of the season for them, I've heard about more and more sightings as November has gone on. They are beautiful to watch, that is for sure.

Last week we had one swim right under us as we were headed up from Columbia Deep over the shallower sand area at about 40 ft. It was beautiful. I didn't try to chase, it was too much fun just watching it glide by!!!

Willar:
Last week we had one swim right under us as we were headed up from Columbia Deep over the shallower sand area at about 40 ft. It was beautiful. I didn't try to chase, it was too much fun just watching it glide by!!!

At Punta Sur a couple of years ago, we had just gotten in the water and descended to about 80', and we were swimming toward the first coral head. I was the last in line, and up ahead I saw the DM wave and point; I looked where he was pointing, and I saw a lone eagle ray coming out of the gloom, swimming the opposite way we were, a bit off to the side and below us. I altered my course to intercept it, and when I got over near its path, I froze and stopped breathing (yeah, I know, but this was one of those times). It passed by about three feet in front of my face; I could have reached out and touched it but of course I didn't. I would have given just about anything to have had a camera.

Great choice of music to go with the graceful Eagle ray dance! Thanks for sharing.

Gary what a great dive it was the best of the week for me. Unfortunatly it was my last day diving. I wish Jake could have been with us. Tell my UWGF aka my Scuba Rodeo Cowgirl that I say Yippee Kiayeaa. Let me know what your scheduales are in April maybe I can do a Coz to FL to WI trip. Great Video cant wait to see the rest.
Till we dive together again...
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom