cozumel ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamarcp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi i was wondering if anybody has dove the devils throat or the barracuda reef in cozumel, if so could you please give a good description of it or pics or even a video,that would be great. My wife and i are going down on dec7- 14 and i really would like to do those to dives, trying to find someone to do them with we are diving with dive with martin. My wife dosent feel comfortable doing those two dives i tryied to get her to do them last year but she wouldnt :D :D :D

Thanks Marc

I just did the devils throat 8 days ago. Sorry no pics but I'll describe it as best I can. First off it's a deep dive. You enter the throat at about 85ft. Bring a light to see things better. The cavern is nice size so don't worry about having to squeeze through anything. The throat is a slow curve downward with lots of pretty coral inside. It exits at just over 130ft onto a wall so when you come out watch your depth. When I exited I looked down and there was a black tip reef shark. The dive master said they're not uncommon at that depth on the wall. You make your way back up through another swim through and come out at 80 to 85ft.

If you're ok with long swim thrus and deep dives it's actually a pretty easy dive. Just watch your time down there. One of our group didn't and got into an OOA situation during a safety stop. Be sure to do a minute safety stop at about 75ft and at least 5 minutes at 20-15ft.

Sorry I don't have pics. Enjoy your diving.

Bethjd pretty well summed up devil's throat...watch your depth when you come out of it because you are already pretty deep. We did ladder safety stops at 60, 50, 40, 30, and 15 fsw.

Only been to barracuda/san juan once. The DM said we lucked out on barracuda, the current was only about a knot or knot-and-a-half. You could actually make some headway swimming into it. We went a little bit down the wall to about 100 ft., but mostly stayed at about 90fsw. Saw tons of stuff...lobster, crab, nurse sharks, etc.

San Juan was stiffer, DM said current was between 3-4 knots. It was a blast, like flying. You drift over a flat part of the reef so we didn't have to watch depth like you do on a wall dive. I hear currents can get up to about 10 knots or better there though, so it will just depend on conditions.

DWM took us to Barracuda up on the north end of the island on our last day of diving 5 days with them back in September. We fortunately lucked up with less "trade-winds" on Barracuda than what others have encountered. The deepness is not what I was most concerned about. I had heard numerous stories of current so fast that if you turned your head that it could at times pull the mask off! There is a reason the dive ops only take divers who are "ready" to the north end dive sites. I was pleasantly pleased with a nice glide once we actually got over to the wall. It is so pristine and virgin looking compared to the Southern deep reefs on the island. Yes, watch your depth gauge because it's so deceiving at that depth with the beautiful clear water and such lush wall in front of you as you glide beside the wall. After our SI, we headed to San Juan for our 2nd dive and man, was the current rippin! We settled into a fast-forward rocket ride across the top of San Juan. It was so gorgeous, lush green, finger corals popping up everywhere across the top. You could not stop to hover if you tried!!! HONEST! Our DM, David, commented once we all got back on the boat that from looking at shore, we traveled a good 2-3miles from where we dropped in!!!
We didn't do Devil's throat this past trip, because we did the Catherdral there instead. All I can suggest to you about Devil's throat is to have your small flashlight in your BC ready to pull out as you head in. I'd also make sure your wife is the 1st one in behind the DM so she can follow his fins instead of someone who may silt up the place. I'm female, and was at first very concerned about the feel of darkness as we entered from the sandy area into such a darker area. (I was the 2nd to the last of 8 divers going single file into the dark part) I whipped out my 2ndary light I always keep in my BC and felt much more comfortable. I remember having to hang a left in the darkness, locate a hole that felt like a square shape that was wider than me and my tank and basically use my hands to lift myself up and into the hole head first which then led me into brightness again straight down to around 120. What a thrill ride to emerge into the blue abyss after being in the darkness first!!!Whatever you do, let the DM assist your wife instead of you. In my opinion, accidents can happen when/if the diver is not mentally ready for the situation presented.... It definately is a deep dive for much later in your diving week! You know, your wife can always hang out on the boat while you dive it with the others on the boat and then just rejoin the group on the 2nd dive if she is still feeling too much pressure. It took me 6 trips to the island before I felt ready for that advanced of a dive. I'm glad I waited till I was ready. It was a thrill, but it wouldn't have been on my earlier trips because I wasn't comfortable with everything you have to be ready for on Devil's Throat. (deepness, darkness, good air consumption, good bouancy so you don't silt up the already dark area for those behind you, and most of all a "can-do" attitude ready to enjoy the dive instead of being fearful of it.) Patience is will pay off for you when she feels up to the dives.

Oh, as far as your wife going to devil's throat (of course you know not to force anyone into a dive they don't want to do) there were two DMs on that trip, one was the shop owner David, and one of the ladies didn't want to go into the tunnels when we got to 85 fsw. so she and the other DM went over the top of the reef and waited on us to come out of the reef on the other side.

She was a little scared of the depth before we backrolled in, but when I came out of the "Throat" at 130 fsw. there she was waiving and smiling. Even though she didn't do the tunnels she ended up having a blast.

Umm, Cozdreamer, what was your DM David's last name? Wouldn't have been Tovar would it?

He personally took us through Devil's Throat and his nephew took us to Barracuda/San Juan.

Ooops, edit: just went back and looked at your post Cozdreamer...you were with DWM and the David I was talkin' about owns his own shop.

Scubamarcp, there was a guy behind me with a video camera at devil's throat (so I had a bunch of light) and he was supposed to send a copy of it to my Instructor that was with us, but alas, it never materialized. I didn't take a camera on barracuda/san juan either. Sorry, but I'm sure someone has some pics.

Scubamarcp, Did you read the post a few threads above this entitled Take light into Devil's Throat today? The incident described by the poster is exactly why you need a light in there AND why your wife needs to feel "up" to the dive.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom