Devils Throat TAKE LIGHT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rule62

Reaction score
Just returned from Coz Wed. Dove Devil's Throat Sun. DM said light not needed. DM also said when going thru the pitch black swim thru DO NOT go to the light coming from above and look for opening in bottom. I followed DM into the "black hole" with wife behind me (she wanted me to lead way!!) I found opening in bottom and dropped down. Got into little vestibule facing 2 7ft openings. Didn't see DM and thot I took a wrong turn. Found out later DM was waiting at drop down (fortunately) for other divers. According to dive graph, I waited for a little over 2 minutes until my wife and DM came out. Didn’t know what happened until DM gave emergency ascend sign. My wife had become disoriented and went up instead of down. She got stuck in up shaft and DM pulled her out by her fins. While pulling her out her reg hose got caught on coral and came out. She took in a little water then but ended up putting the reg in her mouth upside down (old reg). When she did that she began breathing a lot of water and a little air.

Wife was unconscious and we began the ascent. DM was pushing air into my wife’s lungs on the way up as she hung unmoving horizontally. I thot she had died. DM got her on the boat and advised us not to get on boat. I thought the reason was he didn’t want me to see her dead. I found out later it was so the DM and boat captain (also a DM) could administer CPR (they saved her life). Another boat in the area came along side and DM told us to get into other boat. I didn’t want to leave my wife. After what seemed like hours DM said OK to get in boat. I knew that was a good sign. Upon getting in the boat I found my wife on the deck gasping for air. (It’s not like on TV when they drag someone onto the beach and bang their back until they throw up water and are good to go). It took another 20-25 min while we made it for Playa Palancar before she began verbally responding.

Got to beach and waited for ambulance. Ambulance arrived and we hauled A to San Miguel Medica Clinic (exceptional and as good as any in the states!). They gave her an IV on the way. Upon arrival we were met by Dr. Pascual Piccolo (excellent dive accident doctor). He took xrays (right lung full of water, left lung quarter full and intestines full). He began treating her with lasix (sp) , diuretics and antibiotics. We stayed in hospital 30 hrs. She was released with lungs almost totally clear. She is OK today.

Morals of the story? Take a light into the Devils Throat, dive with a trained dive op, go to San Miguel Clinic if you need med attention, request Dr. Piccolo for dive related issues, have DAN coverage, ENJOY EVERY MOMENT YOU HAVE, LIFE IS FRAGILE!!! BE GRATEFUL!!!

Amazing story. Your wife is so lucky. I was also treated by Dr. Piccolo for a dive accident. He's the best.

I'm glad everything turned out OK for your wife. What a frightening experience.

HOLLY MOLLY .. What a story !!!

I am super grateful that your wife is OK and doing good.

Things like this dont always turn out to good.

Wow, been in Devils throat plenty of times but not like that !!

Hats off to everyone for a good outcome.

bob

SCUBAJENNIFER:
I'm glad everything turned out OK for your wife. What a frightening experience.

Ditto, I am glad everything turned out ok.

I know what you mean about the 20-25 minute thing. My family saw a man drown at Sunset Beach in Cozumel this year. Actually it was about 20 minutes before that picture was taken of me in my avatar. Due to his size, I had to help carry him out of the water. (which made me wonder who would be carrying me in the case of an emergency)

The DMs and instructors worked on him for what seemed like an eternity. To someone inexperienced with drowning, the man looked very dead to me. I can understand why the dive op would not have wanted you on the boat at the time. I would not want to see any of my loved ones go through that process much less this complete stranger. I can still clearly see his face in my memory today.

I'm still unsure if he made it or not as the last we saw of him was him being taken away on a back board still unconcious. We got a little bit of hope as he made a weak groan as they carried him away on the back board. The dive op later told us he was ok, but they were also trying to sell us more dives at the time so it was hard to take that info with complete certainty.

Hearing the recovery story of your wife makes me happy for you and the man on the beach. Hopefully he recovered as well as your wife did. Thanks again for the story and I hope everything is ok with you.

This also speaks volumes to the people of Cozumel and their ability handle diving emergencies. That gives me comfort and confidence in diving there.

Scary. Glad to hear it turned out all right.
Thanks for sharing a great cautionary post.
Again, I'm glad that your wife is OK.
Mike

Your story sent shivers up my spine. First and foremost, thank God that your wife made it and best wishes to her for a complete recovery. Your family has alot to celebrate this Thanksgiving!

Anything can happen to any diver on any dive. Your story also shows why it's important to know that your dive op has the skills and equipment onboard to handle an emergency. It really can make a life and death difference. I had to see Dr Piccolo last year and luckily it ended up not being serious, but it is very good to know that if you need it, proper facilities and medical staff are there for you. There are a few destinations I'm hesitant to go to because they don't have adequate medical facilities. For a dive trip, that's always a consideration for me.

Thnak God you wife is okay and the people on the boat had the knowledge to respond when they needed to.

I too had an occaision to need medical attention and it was Dr. Piccilo to the rescue. No doubt saved my life thanks to him and his lovely wife Heidi I am here to write this and can still dive. Their care and attention were no doubt as good and probably better than I could have imagined here in the US.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=89838&highlight=chuck86

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom