Wind speed/Harbor closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grumpymedic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Gang,
My wife and I are headed to Cozumel on Dec 1. I have 2 days of diving planned for Dec 2 and Dec 3 with Blue XTsea. I just looked at the forecast for next week and they are calling for 16-20knt winds on both of my dive days. Does anybody know the windspeed at which the Harbormaster deems it unsafe and closes the Harbor? I love Cozumel but will really be bummed if I don't get to dive. :shakehead

We were in Cozumel on Tuesday and Wednesday on a cruise ship (we were suuposed to go to Grand Cayman 1 day, but it was closed) and the winds were 15-20 mph and the harbor was closed both days. We had wanted to dive, but no boats less than 50 ft were being allowed out.

grumpymedic:
Hello Gang,
My wife and I are headed to Cozumel on Dec 1. I have 2 days of diving planned for Dec 2 and Dec 3 with Blue XTsea. I just looked at the forecast for next week and they are calling for 16-20knt winds on both of my dive days. Does anybody know the windspeed at which the Harbormaster deems it unsafe and closes the Harbor? I love Cozumel but will really be bummed if I don't get to dive. :shakehead

Hi Rex,

First of all, your trip is still too many days out for any weather/wind report to be very accurate. So don't worry too much yet.

The wind direction is actually just as or more important as the speed. Anything over 10 to 12 knots from the north or northwest is a problem for us. Anything from the east is typically not a problem for this side of the island.

You can also be assured that if there's a chance to get you out diving safely, I will do everything in my power to get you out.

Here's what I watch daily: http://www.buoyweather.com/wxnav6.j...atitude=20.5&longitude=-86.75&zone=-6&units=e

Thanks for the reply Christi...I appreciate your efforts on getting divers out. I guess I am just getting excited about the trip and would hate to not be able to dive but I understand safety must come first. See you soon :D

P.S. TN Traveler I am sorry you did not get to dive..thanks for the info:wink:

It's time to haul out the old line from aviation:
"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground."

Make adjustments as you see fit.

See you on Christi's boats Dec. 3-8!
Craig-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom