I'm trying to live vicariously through Google..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
..but I can't seem to locate my hotel on GoogleEarth. I can find San Miguel, but not by entering it into the search bar. Only by navigating around. So I am confused as to where (Hotel Barracuda) 628 Avenida Rafael Melgar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico is. Can someone describe to me where to look by landmarks, if I'm looking at the aerial view of San Miguel on GoogleEarth?

Not familiar with GoogleEarth. However, Hotel Barracuda is next door (more or less) to the naval barracks (which aren't there any more after the hurricane) and across the street (more or less) from the big shopping mall called punta lungosa. It's just south of the main area of town and north of the big grocery store (chedraui). Melgar is the main drag running parallel to the west side of the ocean. Maybe a better thing to do would be to find a map of Coz which you can find at www.cozumelmycozumel.com

squarepants:
..but I can't seem to locate my hotel on GoogleEarth. I can find San Miguel, but not by entering it into the search bar. Only by navigating around. So I am confused as to where (Hotel Barracuda) 628 Avenida Rafael Melgar, Cozumel 77600, Mexico is. Can someone describe to me where to look by landmarks, if I'm looking at the aerial view of San Miguel on GoogleEarth?

Part of this you already have... but I'll start at the beginning cuz it's easier for me!

Type "Cozumel" into google earth. It will bring up the island. Zoom out. You will see one and only one city - it's on the midwest part of the island. That is San Miguel. Barracuda is just south of the main city, still in the main section but on the far south side, and right on the coast. It's on the main and more/less only road you see running N to S (actually NE to SW). You will not see the actual building unless you know what it looks like from an aerial view. Does it matter? It's just south of the city. Look it up on a 2D map, then interpolate the location via google earth... (understand that Google Earth is just an interpolation program to begin with! It just calculates location via a set of know coordinates - it doesn't know Barracuda's address because it doesn't have a sufficient number of know coordinates in that 'tile' (A 'tile' is a 2d square of space, locations are vound in a tile via known coordinates: if I know where X and Y are, I can calcualate where X+1 and Y+1 are, etc))

Truthfylly, there's really nothing to see - it's all coastline and ocean. What is it exactly that you want to know....? You'll do better to understand its location on a 2d map. Barracuda is about 1/2 mile south of town square. If I can find the actual building, I'll send it 2 you! Either way, I hear it's a great place to stay if you want to be in/near the San Miguel.

Thanks 1Gromit! I'm mostly wondering where in adjacence (sp?) to the long pier in the town (on Google Earth) the hotel is, or is it down by the pier south of town? One is the cruise ship pier, and one is the International pier, right?
No, it doesn't REALLY matter what the building looks like on GoogleEarth, because I've seen it a few times in person, and on the hotelbarracuda.com website. I'm just really excited about our reservations in January and I'm looking for any way to connect with the island before we get there. Somehow it kind of extends the vacation time by pre-fantasizing.
I've seen a few cool webcams, and this website is a great way to keep in touch.

OK, THINK I FOUND IT...google earth is too much fun!

go to San Miguel, and someone has already marked Las Palmas restarant & the cruise ship pier.

move down (south) from the pier and you will see a "shadow" underwater shaped somewhat like an open rectangle, you can make out the soccer filed and park accross the street. ( big green field with circular patterns in next field inland).

ok, that first building in front of the "shadow" is where Playa Serve(sp?) the convienence store is, just move back up north a little, Barracuda is in that same strip of buildings, it may be the one with the lt. orange paint showing.

sharky60:
OK, THINK I FOUND IT...google earth is too much fun!

go to San Miguel, and someone has already marked Las Palmas restarant & the cruise ship pier.

move down (south) from the pier and you will see a "shadow" underwater shaped somewhat like an open rectangle, you can make out the soccer filed and park accross the street. ( big green field with circular patterns in next field inland).

ok, that first building in front of the "shadow" is where Playa Serve(sp?) the convienence store is, just move back up north a little, Barracuda is in that same strip of buildings, it may be the one with the lt. orange paint showing.

Thanks Sharky! I just jumped into the pool! Next stop - someplace for an authentic Mexican margarita. I wish it was a little more clear, but I'll take it the way it is. Better than nothing.

"go to San Miguel, and someone has already marked Las Palmas restarant & the cruise ship pier."

When you say someone has marked those places, what do you mean? Do we have the capability of marking places on google earth?

we just got back from coz. (what a great place!!!) the hotel barracuda is pretty hard to miss. it is orange! i knew i should have taken a picture of it for some reason ... :wink: we walked by it every day on our way to/from the hotel caribe blu and the chedraui (store) or the town of san miguel.

we found that things were kind of difficult to locate around town using just street addresses (if you can even find a street address). locational "addresses" appear to be of more use - such as "on street 1, between street 5a and street 10" (which would be presumed to be five streets away from street 5a but isn't really). we got "lost" a few times, but the town is quite charming so i wouldn't say it was wasted wandering ...

Yep, street signs are few and far between - certainly not on every streeet corner. And, as you've pointed out, what appears to be a 5 block increment is really only one...unless you hit a BIS. :D

thelawgoddess:
we found that things were kind of difficult to locate around town using just street addresses (if you can even find a street address). locational "addresses" appear to be of more use - such as "on street 1, between street 5a and street 10" (which would be presumed to be five streets away from street 5a but isn't really). we got "lost" a few times, but the town is quite charming so i wouldn't say it was wasted wandering ...

Back
Top Bottom