Want to donate a laptop to Coz school - how

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be diving Coz at the end of January and will bring a slightly older (2003) but definately very very functional laptop with me to watch movies and surf the net. At the end of the trip I would like to donate it to a school in cozumel. How would I go about doing that ? Perhaps one of the Coz residents on the board will have an idea on how to do this.

Send a PM to Christi. She's on scubaboard and lives there. she might know.

You'll want to investigate what duties/taxes have to be paid on it bringing it into the country and leaving it. This might not be required since it might be a donation and 'tax free'.

Craig, while your generous spirit is most appreciated, all the schools in Cozumel are outfitted with a classroom full of current model desktops, courtesy of the Mexican government. The problem we have with people who want to donate used computers is the maintenance and repair issues, as well as the fact that they usually come loaded with software that is not available on the rest of the computers in the school.

The Cozumel Chrysalis Group is a volunteer organization I have been working with for over 7 years. Here are a couple of informative websites:

www.geocities.com/smallsal/chrysalis

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/ChrysalisGroup?From=ACS/

What I would suggest is a donation of the laptop to Chrysalis, for sale at one of their garage sales. It will not only generate money for Chrysalis, but it will also help someone who would not be able to afford a laptop any other way. Please note, Chrysalis currently sponsors 301 students here in Cozumel, and cannot give a laptop to one student while ignoring the other 300.

Hope that helps!

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

I would not hesitate to follow CozSally's advice. I had the pleasure of having dinner with her and other Scubaboard members last Feb. This lady is gracious, caring, and most helpful. Sally is well known among the dive operators and US transplants in Cozumel. I am sure if you leave the laptop with her somehow she will convert it to help the kids.

Lou

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom