Reef condition - what a difference pre and post hurricane Wilma!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW_DiverDude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just returned from some diving in Coz last week and although I expected to see some damage to the reef system as a result of hurricane Wilma, I was shocked to see how much and how deep the damage was compared to when I dove Coz 2 years ago this month.

Of course the shallow parts of Palancar reef, among others, was damaged but it was quite extensive with some areas losing more than 50% of the coral structure - OUCH!

Damage was very evident at 50 feet below the surface and I could still see some structural damage down to 80 feet. The shear number of fish and eels seemed to be less than 1/3rd of what I have come to expect for the region although I did see a number of species that I not seen in the past, which was a nice treat.

The really great thing is that the people of Cozumel have done an incredible job of rebuilding including the piers, the shops, the hotels, etc. Everyone and everything seemed to be back to normal after having endured such a catastrophic event - Bravo!

Even though the damage on the reefs was so obvious, there is still so much to see and do underwater that I will continue returning on a regular basis and for those that have never dove Coz before, it will still be one of the best places that you can experience both underwater and topside.

Contained in my photo gallery are several underwater images taken in Cozumel last week as well as some from 2004 if you choose to look.

NW_DiverDude

Last month was my first time diving in Coz... I thought it was wonderful. But we took friends snorkeling at Yal-Ku and Xel-ha (where we have gone numerous times before) and we were shocked at the lack of fish. I don't know if it was hurricane related or not as these lagoons are more sheltered. opinions? maybe from too many visitors? But it was really sad. The part of Yal-ku that opens into the ocean had obvious hurricane damage... all the large corals (staghorn etc.) were gone or laying dead on the floor. Very very sad.

I dove Columbia Reef some years ago and was awed by the reef configuration.The channels and twists & turns were facinating. It was an exciting and vibrant reef. I dove it again this year and thought it was ho hum. It did not look like the same reef to me at all. Is it possible I was on a different part of the reef than a few years ago, or is this the result of Wilma?

AmyJ:
But we took friends snorkeling at Yal-Ku and Xel-ha (where we have gone numerous times before) and we were shocked at the lack of fish. I don't know if it was hurricane related or not as these lagoons are more sheltered. opinions? maybe from too many visitors? But it was really sad. The part of Yal-ku that opens into the ocean had obvious hurricane damage... all the large corals (staghorn etc.) were gone or laying dead on the floor. Very very sad.

The problems at Yalku, and sadly, a number of sites in the Akumal area, are due to increasing bacteria in the water, killing the corals, sponges and fans and fostering the growth of some nasty stuff. No coral and sponges to eat = fewer fish... the area is growing fast and the current methods and management of raw sewage disposal, and lawn chemicals, etc., are not keeping up. In the pueblo, a little less then half the homes are connected to the treatment plant. The others are sending their sewage directly into the ground and it leads out to the ocean at a few points - Akumal Bay and Yalku are two of them. There are also septic systems that need to upgraded and better mantained. It's very easy to spot the run off points since the further away you are from them, the better shape things are in.

The good news is that it is still reversable damage and the ecological group in the area is working with developers, government and the local community to build awareness and find viable, affordable solutions.

We were there in Dec '05 so I know what the hurricane damage looked like. The broken elkhorn, staghorn, some torn and destroyed sponges and fans. We were very happy to see how great it still looked last year. What we saw a couple weeks ago had nothing to do with hurricanes.

pilot fish:
I dove Columbia Reef some years ago and was awed by the reef configuration.The channels and twists & turns were facinating. It was an exciting and vibrant reef. I dove it again this year and thought it was ho hum. It did not look like the same reef to me at all. Is it possible I was on a different part of the reef than a few years ago, or is this the result of Wilma?

It saddens me to hear this because Columbia Reef was the highlight dive the last time I was in Cozumel. Turtles, eels, eagle rays, it was all there. Sad, but nature will repair it in time, I'm sure.

lawofgravity - Vancouver, Washington or Vancouver, Canada?

lawofgravity:
Vancouver, as in the Canuck version. :D

Although I have dove Neah Bay, Washington several times and the San Juan Islands on a couple trips, I have not yet made it to Vancouver for any diving along the channel between the mainland and Vancouver Island. Based on what I have read, it can be pretty awesome. I'll have to get some info from you sometime if you have done much diving in that area.

Ray
aka NW_DiverDude

NW_DiverDude:
Although I have dove Neah Bay, Washington several times and the San Juan Islands on a couple trips, I have not yet made it to Vancouver for any diving along the channel between the mainland and Vancouver Island. Based on what I have read, it can be pretty awesome. I'll have to get some info from you sometime if you have done much diving in that area.

Ray
aka NW_DiverDude

NWD, wrong forum obviously, but glad to help in any way I can. And yes, diving here can be awesome and challenging.

pilot fish:

Columbia Reef is vast, and I have no doubt that you simply dove a different section/part of it than before. If you dove with a different divemaster, then I am even more convinced that is the case. The structure itself was not changed.

You could dive "Columbia" everyday for a week and see it differently each time. Same with Palancar.

Back
Top Bottom