Hotel Decision Question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are having second thoughts on the choice of hotel for our trip next week. It seems like much of what I've been reading about the Barracuda is not what we are looking for. I'm a little nervous about the busy pool/pool bar due to cruise ship employees, the loud music playing all day that can be heard from inside the guestrooms (we may want to nap or just have quiet time) and really hard beds. I have booked the Barracuda through an agency who doesn't refund, but will switch to another hotel that they deal with. Unless we want to double our lodging allowance the only other option is the Villablanca.

My questions are:

1. Is it worth trading from the Barracuda to the Villablanca, or are they the same?
2. Is the Villablanca noisy?
3. Does DWM pick up there?
4. Do they have a pool bar?
5. I know it's not as close to town, but is it expensive taxi ride?
6. Should I just stay put at the Barracuda and see what it's like?

If the Villa Blanca is your other choice, I would just stick with the Barracuda and request a room at the opposite end of the hotel from the pool bar.

squarepants:
1. Is it worth trading from the Barracuda to the Villablanca, or are they the same?
I've never stayed at either place, but I know a couple of things: Villablanca is a 35 peso fare to/from town, and DWM will more than likely pick up there.

I haven't been inside either Barracuda or Villablanca. Scubawife has stayed at latter so could probably fill you in. However, I can answer a few of your other questions. Villablanca is across the road from the ocean and the nearest pier is, I believe, owned by Papa Hog's (directly across the street). You'd probably need to check with DWM directly about the pickup arrangements they have. I think they used to be pretty good about letting other ops use their pier but a lot changed after Wilma. My impression from walking/biking past Villablanca is that it's quiet. It's not an expensive taxi ride. In fact, it's within walking distance (about 20 minutes). It's just down the road from Caribe Blu.

My inclination would be to stay put. You can spend a lot of time second guessing yourself on these decisions. It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

While you're down this time, try and look around at other places for where you might want to stay on your next trip to Coz. I got a smokin' accommodation deal on a house rental (owned by a member on this board) via a referral from Living Underwater for the trip I got back from this weekend. The weekly rate was less than what many people pay for a night at an AI. Yes, I was back in "the 'hood" but I love that. Taxi rides were moot - I cycled! Let me know if you'd like further details.

squarepants:
My questions are:

and just tough it out at the Barracuda. After all, we'll be on Isla Cozumel - how bad could it be?

Thanks for all of the great advice!

squarepants:
and just tough it out at the Barracuda. After all, we'll be on Isla Cozumel - how bad could it be?

Thanks for all of the great advice!
Are those the only 2 options? or can you upgrade for a small price?

You'll be fine at The Barracuda, it's not The Ritz but is a decent budget hotel.

If you don't like the room they put you in... ask to change it. I do it all the time. :eyebrow:

edit (twice): I've been in both but haven't stayed at either... As Christi said, stay with Barracuda just for the convenience of being close to town and Chedraui. The rooms at Villablanca are much larger however.

I stayed at Barracuda Sept 06., and will again be there Feb 23-28, 07. I know it was the low season, but the pool bar was not a big problem then(and I was in one of the room outside beside the bar. Cruise ship crowd leaves in the early afternoon. It was pretty quiet there at night. Yes the beds are hard, but after a day of diving I always sleep well.
Hard to beat the location of Barracuda.

Stay.

Barracuda is an icon.

We have found that most beds are hard in Cozumel. Last trip. I went to Chedraui and purchased some foam egg crate type stuff..less that $20.00. Not perfect but it took the edge off the hard bed.
I have to agree with the SB members..stay put, staying closest to town is wonderful. Everything you need is close. I think that according to the calendar we will be on Cozumel the same week..perhaps drinks?

I think the Barracuda will be just fine. I do feel better, however, after getting so much great feedback.

Judy, drinks? Maybe on the 4th? I believe you arrive on the 3rd, and we leave on the 7th. I'm not sure which days we'll be underwater, but we always have our afternoons free. Howsabout we stay in touch via PM? I'll be checking in here while we are on the island. Hopefully that internet cafe we used before is still open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom