Flight Costs to Coz (from US)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
Just trying to get an idea about how much people are typically paying to get a flight down to Cozumel from the US. To get a rough estimate I just jumped onto Expedia and looked for flights from either Los Angeles or Boston to Cozumel in early August (no particular reason for having checked this time of year) and found the cheapest flights (from either destination) to be around $550-$600. Is this about right, or can cheaper flights be found? Details? Thanks.

I have found the cheapest from NY to either be flying into Cancun and doing the trek to Cozumel, or doing a bundled trip with air and hotel included. Otherwise yeah it's pretty close to the prices you found.

caroln:
I have found the cheapest from NY to either be flying into Cancun and doing the trek to Cozumel, or doing a bundled trip with air and hotel included. Otherwise yeah it's pretty close to the prices you found.

How much did it cost you to fly into Cancun and trek over to Coz? Was it worth the savings IYO?

Rainer:
Just trying to get an idea about how much people are typically paying to get a flight down to Cozumel from the US. To get a rough estimate I just jumped onto Expedia and looked for flights from either Los Angeles or Boston to Cozumel in early August (no particular reason for having checked this time of year) and found the cheapest flights (from either destination) to be around $550-$600. Is this about right, or can cheaper flights be found? Details? Thanks.

They are literally all over the board..but that fare sounds about right from where you are trying to fly from.

The following cities offer direct flights to Cozumel as of today:
Continental - Houston (daily), Newark (once a week)
American - Dallas (daily), Miami (once a week)
Delta - Atlanta (once a week)
Frontier - Denver (once a week)
**US Air - Charlotte (once a week) - not 100% sure about this one

Any flight you take to Coz on the above airlines will include a stop in one of these cities, so keep that in mind. There may be updates as to frequencey and new cities to the above, but this is based on what I am certain of.

There are also charters from several cities through Apple Vacations, Funjet, Worry Free Vacations and several others.

You can also look at flying into Cancun and then taking the bus/ferry to Cozumel. The commute frm CUN to CZM is about 2 hours each way, so the savings value will depend on what your time is worth to you. I won't do the Cancun route unless I have no other choie or am saving $300 or more.

We are looking at airfare for a annual trek to Cancun in August. Best we have found was US Air out of Newark, with a stop over in Charlotte ($259 round trip, but another $100 for taxes and stuff).

Compared to other airlines, even flying out of Phila (direct flight) is saving us about $500. Funjet was nearly as much as Continental, and it nowhere close to most places that have flights....

YMMV, hope this helps.

Rainer:
How much did it cost you to fly into Cancun and trek over to Coz? Was it worth the savings IYO?

Hi,

If you can, fly directly to Cozumel. We always fly Continental from Houston to Cozumel, non-stop.

The stop at Cancun can be a real pain. :no If you try to fly from Cancun to Cozumel, you will frequently have to wait while the airlines fills up a plane...no matter what your ticket says...they just hold flights until they get a full aircraft. :eyebrow:

If you take the ferry, you pay an exhorbitant...in my opinion...taxi fare to get there. And you have to cart all your gear.

We have done that trip using each method and for those of you who have not, I recommend trying the direct flight before you shoot me down...:wink: :(

joewr

joewr:
Hi,

If you can, fly directly to Cozumel. We always fly Continental from Houston to Cozumel, non-stop.

The stop at Cancun can be a real pain. :no If you try to fly from Cancun to Cozumel, you will frequently have to wait while the airlines fills up a plane...no matter what your ticket says...they just hold flights until they get a full aircraft. :eyebrow:

Flights from Cancun to Coz ceased to exist before the hurricanes and have not yet resumed.

Even when they were running, I advised against it. Not only for the scheduling issues that Joe speaks about, but also for the luggage restrictions. It was a small puddle jumper so the luggage allowances were less than the jet service allowances.

joewr:
If you take the ferry, you pay an exhorbitant...in my opinion...taxi fare to get there. And you have to cart all your gear.

The bus is only $7 pp and is actually the safest and most comfortable way IMO. The busses are coaches with AC, comfortable seats, clean, and they show a movie for the ride, which is about 45 minutes from Cancun airport to the Playa del Carmen station.

There are also van shuttles which run about $15 to $20 per person.

The most I've ever paid for a taxi from Cancun to PDC is $40 and that was for two people with 6 pieces of luggage from the airport to PDC. Not a bad cab fare when you consider it's a 45 to 50 mile trip and the cab driver can't take a fare back from PDC. He goes back empty due to the union.

joewr:
We have done that trip using each method and for those of you who have not, I recommend trying the direct flight before you shoot me down...:wink: :(

I have done it each way numerous times and of course, the direct flight to Coz is always the preferred way. I won't consider it unless I'm saving $300+ or if I simply have no other option.

Rainer,

Until this upcoming trip we've always flown into Cancun and ferried over. It's always been a pleasant trek for us, and never really felt it was a waste of time. I think one's opinion on this topic may be swayed by their budget. We've always tried to save $$ on air/hotel so we'd have more for diving/topside fun. Everyones budget is going to be different.
Our 2006, cancelled trip was the cheapest flight we could ever wish for, and it was through Travelocity, on United - $104pp, SEA - CUN this is driving or taking a seperate flight/train to get to Seattle from Pasco(home), and ferrying from PDC to Cozumel (wow!!).
This winter's trip in January the tickets were $389pp+tax, Pasco - Cozumel (not too bad).
Package deals are a really great way to go, too.
If I were you, I would go to Travelocity and set up the Fare Watcher option. That way they will email you with low prices to your selected places. I rely on it.

From the San Francisco Bay Area, if I can find a one stop r/t ticket for under $500, I'm pretty happy. Of course, much depends on the time of year but that's my general guideline to this point.

Alaska actually flies non stop to Cancun now from SF. That's nice and I've seen those tickets for $380 at times on Expedia. That would definitely be worth the savings as I've done the Cancun/Playa/Coz transfer before and it's not too bad. I think the ADO bus ticket is $9 now which is quite reasonable and comfy from Cancun -> Playa. Bus took us about 45 minutes. Then the ferry for another $12 if memory serves. Took us maybe 2 hours total but we timed it just right the one time I've done this. I'd do it again if it'd save me $100 per person.

Mark

Christi:
Flights from Cancun to Coz ceased to exist before the hurricanes and have not yet resumed.

When I was there last May, there were flights posted on the arrival and departure boards in the CZM airport for flights to and from Cancun.

Back
Top Bottom