Coz Electric Outlet Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From what I have read, Coz uses 110 volt eletric service. But at the risk of sounding ignorant,:confused: is the outlet configuration the same? In other words will the average American electric device (radio, battery charger, etc.) plug directly into the wall? Or do I need to bring an adapter? If so, can someone either tell me the correct name of the adapter or what the prong configuration looks like. I have a number of adapters at home and would prefer to just pack the one needed. Any other related info is always appreciated. Thanks in advance.:D

Safe Diving!!

Been there 9 trips, and my hair dryer always works like at home if that helps you any. So does my husband's sleep apnea machine. No adapters needed.

Some of the older hotels still have 2-prong plugs, and the newer hotels have 3-prong plugs. When you book your hotel, just ask. If you need to get a 2-prong adapter, you'll most likely need to get a non-polarized model (both prongs the same width). These can be hard to find in the US, but they are available at the Chedmauri (not sure of the spelling) grocery store in Cozumel (and probably at other locations as well), which is just a few blocks south of The Square and ferry pier on the main road.

Rainmaker, you were pretty close with that spelling. It's the Chedraui "Walmart like" grocery store that's across the street from the Cozumel Palace. You are correct in saying that it is a few blocks south of the square and ferry pier on the main road running parallel with the water. Yep, they have everything you could possibly need....

PARADISE HUNTER:
From what I have read, Coz uses 110 volt eletric service. But at the risk of sounding ignorant,:confused: is the outlet configuration the same? In other words will the average American electric device (radio, battery charger, etc.) plug directly into the wall? Or do I need to bring an adapter? If so, can someone either tell me the correct name of the adapter or what the prong configuration looks like. I have a number of adapters at home and would prefer to just pack the one needed. Any other related info is always appreciated. Thanks in advance.:D

Safe Diving!!

Rewired my house and added a ton of new wiring. It's all 110 volts and 220 volts for the air conditioner units. Just like in the states.

The post is also right about the older houses and a few of the older hotels having just two prong outlets. Never found this to be a problem at any of the hotels we have stayed at.

The post is also right about the older houses and a few of the older hotels having just two prong outlets. Never found this to be a problem at any of the hotels we have stayed at.
We found a couple of outlets at the airport to power our laptops during the long wait for delayed planes yesterday - both two prong.

And if you need to recharge camera batteries, strobe batteries, lap top, etc in your room, you may find a need for an extension cord with extra outlets. I always carry a cord and a 2 prong converter on all trips. Takes little space or weight.

In Dec., 2006 I tried to charge my battery for my Canon Digital SLR at the Grand...it woulld NOTwork in my room nor the lobby. I was lucky that I had a spare. When I got home, it worked fine!

rainmaker:
When you book your hotel, just ask.

Good advice. So far everything I've needed to plug in has worked.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I am staying at the Allegro. I suppose I should have mentioned that in the original post. I am assuming that they would be considered a "newer" hotel and have three prong outlets. All the same I will bring the appropriate adapter.

I am airborne in five days and counting!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom