Trying to Plan trip to Cozumel...need suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a Dork Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are trying to plan a trip for the week of July 1 - July 8. I have researched so many things my head is going to pop. We are not the only ones traveling so we are trying to please everyone. (Eyeroll - I know)

But now, we are just going to try to find what "We" want...

Here are a few things so far... 2 adults and 1 (12) year old.

We are trying to keep this reasonable but I don't want to stay at a dump.
I like the idea of "All - inclusive" but some of them seem to be a little unreasonable.
My husband will be doing most of the diving (If I am pregnant), but I want to do some snorkeling. From what I have researched, alot of the all inclusive resorts have beach fronts that are disappointing for snorkeling. Is this true? I would like to stay somewhere that I can snorkel (in a good area) without having to travel to get there. I also heard about Chankanaab National Park. Now I realize that I will have to travel to get there but this okay. I just want to be able to do "most" of the snorkeling where we are staying. I do like the idea of being close to town. We would probably do a majority of shopping versus eating. I heard that it can get pretty costly eating in town. I guess this is what we are looking for...

A Hotel that has good snorkeling from their location.
that has decent food.
that is possibly close to town (Not sure if this is good or not)
that will take my husband to the "good" diving spots

Here are some other items that can be debated...

Close to town or not close to town? (I heard the taxi rides can get expensive)
No Frills Hotel or frilly hotel? ;o)
Beach or no Beach?
All inclusive or Non Inclusive?

After researching we have come up with...

Iberostar
Reef Club
Scuba Club
Hotel Cozumel
Casa Del Mar

Please, suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

The Hotel Cozumel is the hotel for you and your family. It fits you needs perfectly. It is nice, has nice pool for 12 yr old, good snorkeling in front of resort, pleasant rooms, 13 minute walk to town but far enough that town is not intrusive, ok food, modest price and reasonable onsite Dive Op, Dive Paradise. Relax and make your reservations. I stayed there 3 times over the last 4 years.

Agree with Pilot Fish, the hotel I was thinking about when reading your post was Hotel Cozumel and Resort. Scuba Club may fit the bill as well, but I haven't stayed there personally. Both have marginal snorkelling though. No real beach at either place, but if you drop in the water, you'll probably see a fair amount of life, but it's nothing like diving the reef.

Mark

We have stayed at Hotel Cozumel this last 5 yrs....it suits us....small beach club....largest pool on the island....has activities for kids....food is like all hotel food it is ok....but the food is better in town....with a 12 yr old you can save by going AI....they serve food all day....hamburgers nachos quesadilla's etc at the resturant by the pool...the beach club resturant is open for lunch around noon until around 3:00pm...

Dive op..... you can go with any op you do not have to use the in house op...there is a pier at the hotel to be pickup from.... my 2 cents :D

Have stayed at the Iberostar twice, Cozumel Palace twice and the ScubaClub once. For what it's worth:

Iberostar:
- Beautiful property, decent food, hard beds, good service, Dressel Divers Ops (mixed reviews), great pool, activities for kids, nice beach but rocky shore for snorkeling, farthest resort from town ($$$ for cabs) no night life and some bugs.

Cozumel Palace:
- Softest beds, great food, great service, jaccuzi in room (great for rinsing gear and suits), close to town, small but nice pool, NO BEACH, not alot for kids to do, dove with Dive Paradise (highly recommend), no bugs, kinda sterile with all the white marble. Still my favorite when me and GF go there.

ScubaClub:
- Hard beds, OK food, good service, great dive ops, NO BEACH, tiny pool, good snorkeling out front, NOTHING FOR KIDS TO DO, close to town, very basic, meant for divers, no bugs, no frills.

Have heard mixed reviews of the Reef Club.

ZipptyDooDiveDave (aka "Squirt")

I'm a Dork Fish:
I guess this is what we are looking for...
A Hotel that has good snorkeling from their location.
that has decent food.
that is possibly close to town (Not sure if this is good or not)
that will take my husband to the "good" diving spots

Fiesta Americana or Hotel Cozumel are the best matches based on this list. Hotel Cozumel is closer to town and cab fare from Fiesta Americana is only about $6 to town

Neither have a real beach, but both have manmade beach areas with entry into the water. Actually, this is what makes these places better for snorkeling. The general rule of thumb is that you can't have white sandy sloping beach AND good snorkeling. The better snorkeling is along a rockier shoreline.

Your husband can choose his dive operator. Don't think for a minute that he is obligated to dive with the onsite dive shop or that is necessarily any mmore convenient. The convenience factor will actually be determined by which dive operation he chooses and what services they provide (ie: gear storage, etc.)

Both the Fiesta Americana and Hotel Cozumel are all-inclusive optional and moderately priced.

After researching we have come up with...

Iberostar
Reef Club
Scuba Club
Hotel Cozumel
Casa Del Mar

Please, suggestions are welcome!

I would rule Iberostar and Reef Club out immediately. Both are far from town (expensive cab rides), all-inclusive mandatory, and do not have good snorkeling. Also, your husbands dive sites will be more limited staying at either of these resorts since they are so far south.

Scuba CLub is very much a divers hotel...so not enjoyable for the kid(s).

Casa del Mar is a viable option as well, but Hotel Cozumel and Fiesta Americana will have alot more activities for your son. He will probably get bored at Casa del Mar :)

Hope this helps!

Wow, this really helps out alot!!! Thanks

It sounds as though the best two options are:

Hotel Cozumel
Fiesta Americana

Now, I figured that I could get a better deal by booking through a travel agent versus booking everything individually. Anyone know about some good deals out there for these hotels?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom