Newly Certified and going to Coz for the 1st Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

banff50

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I posted this in another thread and was advised to ask a few questions here.

I will be traveling to Cozumel (just got OW certified) in a month and am wondering/concerned about two things:

1. Drift diving for the first time, looking for some advice on how to find my boat when I surface
2. Going deeper than 60' feet (a lot of the dive operations seem to do dives in the 80' range?). My concern here is I have been told some of the operations will tell me to surface when I run out of air and if I'm running out of air early, to just surface by myself. For someone newly certified, is it reasonable for me to go to 80 feet and just be careful? What do I have to watch out for with slightly deeper dives like that?
3. Am considering whether to do a night dive (a very easy night dive hopefully). It will be a full moon and I would really like to try one, maybe something down to 30' feet in a soft current? Or is a night dive something I should avoid being newly certified?

Any advice?

Advise your dive operator ahead of time that you are new and inexperienced and that you would like to have an instructor, DM or an experienced person to dive with you as a buddy to keep an eye on you and show you around. Also that you are concerned about depth of dive and would prefer to start out at shallow depths. If they do not go along with you change to an operator who will. That's about it. Have fun.

banff50:
Hello,

I posted this in another thread and was advised to ask a few questions here.

I will be traveling to Cozumel (just got OW certified) in a month and am wondering/concerned about two things:

1. Drift diving for the first time, looking for some advice on how to find my boat when I surface
2. Going deeper than 60' feet (a lot of the dive operations seem to do dives in the 80' range?). My concern here is I have been told some of the operations will tell me to surface when I run out of air and if I'm running out of air early, to just surface by myself. For someone newly certified, is it reasonable for me to go to 80 feet and just be careful? What do I have to watch out for with slightly deeper dives like that?
3. Am considering whether to do a night dive (a very easy night dive hopefully). It will be a full moon and I would really like to try one, maybe something down to 30' feet in a soft current? Or is a night dive something I should avoid being newly certified?

Any advice?

All boat dives from Cozumel are guided dives with at least one divemaster whose job it is to keep track of all his divers. Also, the boat captains keep the boats right over their divers, drifting along with them. Whenever you surface, the boat will be nearby and the captain will be watching for you, and most of the dive sites (all that you as a novice diver will be going to, anyway) are in a narrow corridor close to the island, so you'll never be farther than a few hundred yards from shore. Carrying and being able to deploy a safety sausage is a good idea wherever you dive, though at Cozumel it's more of a precaution against being run over than as an aid to finding you.

As Garrobo said, be sure that your dive op knows the limits of your experience; a lot of novice divers go to Cozumel, and most ops there are well versed in how to help you keep safe. Absolute depth is less of a consideration; 20 feet deep in some locations is more hazardous than 100 feet deep off Cozumel.

Night dives are great, and nowhere near as scary as it might seem. If your hotel is on the water, I recommend doing some night snorkeling with lights first to get sort of an idea what it's like out there at night. I'm pretty sure I did a night dive on my "cherry" dive trip to Cozumel.

Not sure how newly certified you are(any dives?) but have you thought about doing your advanced open water? I did my Advanced open water my first time in Cozumel and had a personal instructor with me my first 5 dives, including my night dive. When I was low on air we both came up and did our safety stop. It really helped me get my feet wet and improved my diving. If you don't do it this trip do it the next trip.

Tell the operator your concerns. Also tell the divemaster on the boat just in case the operator forgot to tell him! Drift diving in Coz is real simple. Get your buoyancy right and stay behind the divemaster. No swimming needed. Cross your arms with your gauges resting on them then let the light current float you over the reef.
Most operators will tell you that if you are low on air follow his safety sausage to the safety stop between 15 and 20'. Stay close to the sausage for 3-5 min then surface along side the sausage. Fill your BC at the surface and the boat should be real close. If you are not comfortable with that let him know before the dive. He will surface with you then return to the group. In most cases if you relax and dive as I said someone else will probably have the same air consumption as you, and the divemaster will buddy you underwater with that person to surface.
IF YOU HAVE NO SAUSAGE BE SURE TO STAY REAL CLOSE TO THE DIVEMASTERS. YOU WILL BE DIVING IN A HIGHWAY OF BOATS!!!!!!!!

Good newby divemasters are:
Raul at www.bottomtimedivers.net
Pedro Pablo at www.bluextseadiving.com
Roberto at www.liquidbluediving.com

You will have a great time. I too was a little concerned with drift diving but it was real simple, as said before just stay behind the dm and let the current carry you on a wonderful trip. While I just had 15-20 dives under my belt, took my 14 year old son & 16 year old niece with me to coz for their checkout dives. They did fine and I am sure you will too. Do have that safety sausage and I also carry a whistle, the only time I used either was the whistle to signal the boat when buddy and I surfaced in a pouring down t-storm. Enjoy your trip and don't worry.

Ditto to Namchief's suggestion, take an advanced open water class. You will get private lessons at group rates. Your instructor will go on the boats and dive with you. No worries about drift dives, finding the boat, night dives, etc.; they are all part of the instruction. Just do it!

My wife and I are Newbies and we just got back from our first drift diving experience (in Coz). Everything everyone has said on this thread is correct. Our OW certification dives and following recreational dives were in the Floriday Keys. I believe your concerns, if like ours were, is as follows:

You probably did your check out dives with the boat anchored and you just pulled yourselves down that rope on descent and up it on ascents and safety stops. That is if you even did a safety stop in those dives. Many dive ops in the Keys doing check out dives do so in 25-30 ft. of water and the dives are usually no longer than 30 mins. I know, safety stops should be part of those dives, but the truth is they often aren't. But even if you did safety stops you probably held on to that anchor line at 15 ft. You won't have that line in Cozumel. So...the best advise I can give is the advise I got from so many divers when I got there. Make sure you have enough weight to get down and to hold you at the 15 ft. safety stop.

You will read opinions on BC control, proper weighting, etc. But I'm telling don't get into what my wife called "the competition." Here's where all the experienced divers reading this will rip me to shreads (especially if they have forgotten their newbie days or where just exceptional as newbies.)

If you need 22lbs to get down and hold a stop, use it. You will hear experienced divers whistle or shake their heads because they may think you should only be using 16lbs. However, they likely will never admit that they too were "overweighted" when they were newbies. Our Cozumel dive master admitted to me that nearly 100 percent of the new divers who go there dive overweighted. They are concerned about not have that anchor line to hand on to (again to descend or ascend). He totally understands this, but his concern (and appropriately so) was that new divers who are overweighted drag fins across the reefs. Just don't do it.

Even overweighted you can get enough buoyancy control (you do have a BC) to drift well ABOVE the reefs. You will gradually drop weights. I dropped 6lbs. in just the first 3 days. I dove six days total and by that 3rd day I was at the weight the DM suggested on the first day. The main thing new divers in Coz fear is shooting past that safety stop after an 80ft. dive. I got caught up in that "how much weight do you use" thing. I promise you...you will drop more weight as you become more confident. However, don't get too cocky. I tried to drop 4lbs on my second day there (3rd dive) -and yes, I couldn't hold that 15ft. stop for more than 30 seconds.

Here's a good tip from the dive master we had. If you're just not sure about holding that safety stop, stay with the DM if he is "staging" his ascent after inflating his marker for the boat. Our DM would reel out line and float the marker from about 60ft., hang there for a few minutes, and then continue to do the same thing as he slowly moved up the water column in stages until getting to 15'. In essence, you don't have to go directly from 70' to 15ft. In fact "staging" is becoming so popular that many divers believe it will soon be taught in OW, and if not, absolutely in AOW. I mean, our DM dives two or three dives just about every day of his life and he's never been bent. As in any discipline, classroom instruction usually comes from field applications. As any engineer will tell you, theories don't build roads and cities. It's learned first in the field and then taught in the classroom.

Don't fear drift diving. It's the easiest diving you will do. It's actually easier to maintain some decent level or buoyanyc control in a current. In an area with no current you might find you can't simply hold yourself in the water column without finning. We found that in a current, as in drift diving, the current is moving you and it was easier to look for that ideal buoyancy control. You can literally be completely vertical in the column and the current pulls you along without hardly moving a muscle.

Just relax and don't let this whole new diving experience overwhelm you. Just do everything the folks in this thread advise concerning choosing a dive op and safety and you'll have the best dives of your new diving life.

I just got back from my first trip to Coz on Saturday 2/24 (I'll be posting a trip report later). At the time I went I'd only had about 18 dives and I am OW and AOW certified. I was nervous about the drift diving as well as I had no idea what to expect. What everyone has said here is right on. You will be diving with at least 2 DM's one leading and the other tailing the group. Depending on the current you don't have to fin hardly at all and if you want to stop or slow down I would just turn around and face into the current and gently fin.

To answer your questions:

1. The DM will tell you before the dive what to do when it is time to ascend. It is very important to listen to the pre-dive briefing! The DM will go over everything as far as depth and time in the water. Our DM (Chino through Aqua Safari) told us to ascend with our buddy at 700psi, do a 3 min safety stop at 15 feet, surface close to the safety sausage (which the 2nd DM was holding), inflate our BC's and wait for the boat. The boat would come to us every time and was never more than several yards away.

2. Most of the first dives of the day went to around 80 feet for the first 20-30 min and then up to 40 feet for the remainder of the time. Do what you are comfortable with. Even though the group is going to 80 feet we still had divers hover over us at the depth they felt comfortable. Don't push yourself and always stay with you buddy. The second dives were always around 40-60 feet depending on the reef.

3. I did a night dive. It was my second one ever. I did a night dive right after my OW certification and was with a DMI the entire time. I believe most night dives at Coz are at Paradise Reef which is usually around 45 ft depth. We did the night dive there and we saw aquatic life we didn't see during the day - like an octopus! It was amazing and highly recommended. It is an easy relazing dive. I find I like night dives better because you can only see what is in the field of your dive light so I am not so overwhelmed with trying to see everything at once. I go a lot slower and breath less air.

Have fun in Cozumel - I know I did. The week went by way too fast so enjoy it.

waynel:
You will read opinions on BC control, proper weighting, etc. But I'm telling don't get into what my wife called "the competition." Here's where all the experienced divers reading this will rip me to shreads (especially if they have forgotten their newbie days or where just exceptional as newbies.)

Not this one; it is far better to be overweighted than underweighted. In fact, many DM's diving Cozumel routinely dive overweighted because they are carrying extra weights to give their charges should they need it.

You can achieve neutral buoyancy at any depth if you are (within reason) overweighted, but not if you are underweighted. We start out overweighted for safety; as we gain experience, we drop weight to approach that ideal weight which will give us the easiest maintained buoyancy, but we approach it from the safe (heavy) side. This will happen as you learn to relax underwater; when you are tense it is a natural reaction to keep more air in your lungs, and that means you'll need more weight.

When it's right, you'll know it. You'll be able to achieve that state at depth where you'll do minor ascents and descents by simply modulating the residual air in your lungs and without touching your inflator valve, you'll be able to hang at the safety stop with your BC fully deflated, and you'll be able to ascend to the surface after the stop without moving a muscle other than your diaphragm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom