A Question for Cozumel Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_jmac

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

I am planning a trip to Cozumel this January/February. A couple of quick questions:

1) Do you recommend a complete package (i.e Accomodations with food, dives etc. included) or to book the vacation and worry about the diving when we get there. Primary concern here, for us, is cost.

2) Is booking the flight together with accomodations better than booking the flight separately. Again, primary concern is cost.

3) How viable is shore diving? A couple of buddies of mine go to Grand Caymen, rent a car and do all the diving themselves from shore. I know drift dives are common in Cozumel, so are most of the dives only possible by boat/charter.

Thanks for any help,
Joe

If you can find a bargin there, it should be easy to build the rest of the trip around it. After you get a feel for airfare, I suggest you contact Papa Hog's (they are Canadians). They are a great dive op, conviently located, and can also help with reasonably priced accomodations.

Shore diving in Coz is not something you do instead of boat diving. It like the big league and little league. There is just enough shore diving to give you another alternative on how to spend the afternoons

In my limited experience (4x in Cozumel) it is cheaper to get an air/hotel/diving package.

mr_jmac once bubbled...
Hey,

I am planning a trip to Cozumel this January/February. A couple of quick questions:

1) Do you recommend a complete package (i.e Accomodations with food, dives etc. included) or to book the vacation and worry about the diving when we get there. Primary concern here, for us, is cost.

2) Is booking the flight together with accomodations better than booking the flight separately. Again, primary concern is cost.

3) How viable is shore diving? A couple of buddies of mine go to Grand Caymen, rent a car and do all the diving themselves from shore. I know drift dives are common in Cozumel, so are most of the dives only possible by boat/charter.

Thanks for any help,
Joe

when you going to be there? I will be there the end of January.

My buddy just got back from a cruise which made a stop in Cozumel.

He said it was a dive paradise ... we're hoping to go some time this winter. Most likely end of January or early February. Basically depends on when we can get a good deal. Will go last minute if possible.

We should try to get together if possible ... I do most of my diving in Sault Ste. Marie in the summer time. Definitely will not make it through the winter without some kind of dive vacation.

I've been doing some research on the net and all-inclusive vacation packages out of Toronto appear to be around $1100-$1200 per person. Someone recommended the Reef Club.
Any idea what we can expect to pay for the diving on top of this price???

Is this a good deal or can we find better?

Later,
Joe

mr_jmac once bubbled...
My buddy just got back from a cruise which made a stop in Cozumel.

He said it was a dive paradise ... we're hoping to go some time this winter. Most likely end of January or early February. Basically depends on when we can get a good deal. Will go last minute if possible.

We should try to get together if possible ... I do most of my diving in Sault Ste. Marie in the summer time. Definitely will not make it through the winter without some kind of dive vacation.

I've been doing some research on the net and all-inclusive vacation packages out of Toronto appear to be around $1100-$1200 per person. Someone recommended the Reef Club.
Any idea what we can expect to pay for the diving on top of this price???

Is this a good deal or can we find better?

Later,
Joe

Is that $1100-$1200 U.S dollars or Canadian dollars??

If it is Canadian dollars it is a good deal!

One of your problems is you live in Sudbury which is near no big airports, if you were closer to big airport then your chances of good deals are improved because more is offered. I just snagged a Great deal out of Detroit to Cozumel direct flight that is still available but driving from Sudbury to Detroit is a hell of a long ride;-0

mr_jmac once bubbled...
Hey,

It's usually cheaper to book an air/hotel package and get the diving seperate. You'll also have more choices of dive ops this way. Papa Hog's has already been mentioned. I also recommend Caballito del Caribe Just email Maribel and she'll set everything up for you.

There's a few good shore dives available but the best diving is offshore on a boat. The shore dives in Coz are not beach dives where you walk into the water from the beach. The rocky shoreline, usually behind a hotel, have cement steps of different configurations leading to the water. Some easier than others to get in and out of the water.

"I also recommend Caballito del Caribe"

How do you remember to spell that correctly all the time?

You might also check out Bay Adventures. I would recommend their air/dive/hotel package with Plaza Las Glorias.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom