Coz 6-packs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking about a Coz trip in late Feb-early March '08. We'll be traveling with non-diving friends & two children under age 3. My wife and I are interested in recommendations for a charter that will take out a small number of divers (6-ish)... We'd prefer early morning runs on a fast boat, do a couple dives, and be back with plenty of the day ahead of us to enjoy our kids & non-diving company. We don't want cattle boats that turn 2 dives into a 6 hour affair. :)

Any advice?

Thanks,
Jim

I should have also said that we're looking for a dive op that will listen to our interests (e.g. whether we want a shallow dive, wall dive, etc.) but doesn't have to wait on us hand & foot (i.e., we don't need them to supply a 7-course meal during our SIT...hehe - a bottle of water would be nice, but not even that is necessary). We don't need them to store our gear between days.

Basically, we want a competent crew & DM, but don't need a bunch of frills.

Jim

We are just finishing up the week with Aldora. Their boats are great. We had no more than 6 on a boat this week. The boats are fast too. Plus they give you Steel 120s, so you get lots of bottom time. All of our dives were over an hour this week.

They provide water on the boat, but you have a surface interval on the beach where you can buy food, if you want too. Since the dives are longer due to the added air, you can figure about 4 hours for the 2 dives.

As for gear, they offer to take care of it all for you and have it set up when you get on the boat. We choose to keep our gear for all dives, except between our dives yesterday afternoon and this morning. To keep track of everyone's gear, they give you a gear bag to use while you are here with your name on it. Any gear you leave on the boat needs to be put in that bag. That way, if they put you on a different boat the next day, your gear will be there ready. We were very impressed with them. We were supposed to dive again tomorrow and Sunday, but the Hurricane Dean made use decide to leave tomorrow.

my vote is for Blue Angel...they have always treated me with respect and did what I wanted. Nice feeling while on vacation!

GoBlue!:
I should have also said that we're looking for a dive op that will listen to our interests (e.g. whether we want a shallow dive, wall dive, etc.) but doesn't have to wait on us hand & foot (i.e., we don't need them to supply a 7-course meal during our SIT...hehe - a bottle of water would be nice, but not even that is necessary). We don't need them to store our gear between days.

Basically, we want a competent crew & DM, but don't need a bunch of frills.

Jim

I usually dive with Blue Angel, which is very much the type of operation you describe, and another plus - they are much less expensive than many of the "full service" dive ops on Cozumel. That said, there are lots of dive ops on the island who easily fit your bill.

We dive with Albatros Charters. Its a small OP,Rita and Burak provide great personal service. Their dive boat (small fast boat with shade)is located north of town so picking up going to the southern dive sites is not a problem. If you are staying in town it works out perfectly. Of course you can meet them at the marina as well. Price wise, I think they are right in the middle, not the lowest but definatly not the highest. They have water and snacks on board. As you can see on this board there are lots of great options for you and what you are looking for.
Have a great trip!

Blue Angel is good. Also might want to look at David's Sea Scuba. I've used his shop quite a bit and prices are real good. Basic no-frills "just take you diving" kind of shop. He has two 6-pack fast boats.

If you are interested PM me and I'll give you my name so you can say I referred you...see what kind of price he'll give you.

I second Raul at www.bottomtimedivers.net Raul is owner/operator with a six pack. The boat has a canopy for the "hair challenged" diver. He carries plenty of Bottled water (no charge). He also has small snacks like power bars cookies and fruit. He has towels on board as well as rain slickers. He will keep your gear overnight, rinse it and dry it if you want.
His normal departure is around 8:30 back at 12:30. But if you are six he will leave anytime you want. The far south sites will rate an earlier departure.
Real nice friendly guy and will find all kinds of critters most masters swim right over. After he sees what kind of divers you are he allows you freedom to roam but within view. You won't always have to play follow the leader as long as he can see you!

Lou
BTW- he goes by air consumption and computer for max Bottomtime and will send up divers in pairs when they are low. The rest continue with the dive. I've been diving with him for 10 years and he is no longer my divemaster but more a dive buddy.

I am with the others that suggested Blue Angel. They have 2 small fast boats and 1 larger one and they are covered. The "Jibara" is a bit faster than the "Blue Angel 2". They are one of the most inexpensive ops on the island but are very professional and will take you where you want to go as long as the others that have been there diving prior to your arrival haven't been to those sites or agree to go, which is fair to all.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and had a wonderful time with our DM Jorge. If you go there, tell Jorge that Mike, Elyse and Tyler want to know how the "coco-driles" are doing.

No matter where you end up, as long as you listen to the people here, you won't go wrong. Have fun!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom