Sea Robin Cozumel- New Dive Operation Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KayDee

Reaction score
Sea Robin Cozumel (http://www.searobincozumel.com/index.htm) promotes themselves as a premier scuba diving company in the heavily saturated dive op destination of Cozumel, Mexico. We first met one of the owners and dive master (DM), Eduardo Canche at the 2007 Long Beach Scuba show. We have dove Cozumel 4 times over the past 3 years with other wonderful dive operators. After meeting the owner, Eduardo, and talking to Allen, we decided to take a chance with the new guy. FYI, there were 5 divers in our group, 2 were DMs, 2 were AOW, and 1 was a beginner.
Reservations: A simple process via email and local telephone calls. Allen Martin, the other owner, plans on updating the website soon to include additional lodging packages, customer reviews, and other assorted information the Sea Robin Cozumel team and/or customers should find useful.
Boat: The Ballena, capable of holding 12 divers, is a small, fast, covered boat outfitted with all the standard emergency equipment, radio, and GPS. Most days we had only 5 divers on the boat, with the exception of one day when we arranged for 2 friends to come along. Dives are started in the back roll position but one of our divers (due to back issues) required a in the water set up which was no problem for the outstanding Captain Choco and DM Eduardo. Cold water and snacks are provided for each surface interval (SI). The crew is very customer oriented even asking us if there were any snacks, in particular, we wanted for the next day (for you snack people). Yet, the better news is that ample wet and dry storage is available so that the towel you need for drying off stays dry. SI locations are chosen with the divers’ input. Our locations were diverse including a deserted beach, a dock, kicking back on the boat or snorkeling around looking for the ubiquitous starfish or the elusive black tip shark near the south end lagoon.
Crew: As noted Choco, Eduardo, and Allen are all first rate. Eduardo’s knowledge of both on and off the map dive sites insured each dive was a great experience. He was also very vigilant of the beginner diver in our group, which was a great comfort to his mom.
Gear: We brought our own gear but rental gear is available upon request.
Customer Service: Allen wanted to meet us on the day of our arrival at our hotel and pick up our gear but we convinced him that we would schlep it down to the dock in the morning. The first day we hauled our gear to the boat, after that we did not have to touch or clean it for the entire trip. Each morning, afternoon, and/or evening the boat would pull up (at our specified time) with all our gear clean, dry, and setup for our next dive adventure. Forgive the term but we call this “Gucci Diving”. Pretty much all we brought was a dry towel and cameras. We picked the dive sites daily and were able to dive our computers. Steel tanks were provided for the two big guys, the rest of us dove aluminum 80’s. As a bonus, we also crossed the channel for a Tortuga Reef dive. Sea Robin Cozumel ended our dive vacation by cleaning, drying, and delivering our dive gear back to hotel the next day-now that is true customer service! Moreover, in case you are wondering, yes, it was very clean.
Considering the level of service we received from Sea Robin Cozumel I have to say they are quite a bargain, and if our experience with them is typical, they will truly exemplify their motto of being a premier scuba diving company in Cozumel. If you like small fast boats, and personal attention, we highly recommend this dive operator. They will certainly see us on their boat again. For your review, their website is http://www.searobincozumel.com/index.htm

Nice review, very well worded, concise and well thought out. One thing that you left out was price. I will keep them in mind for the next trip down there.

Back in May, we dove from their boat, Ballena, which was being rented by Blue Angel. In a word, the boat is phenomenal! Our DM said it was only 6-months old at the time.

driftin' by:
Back in May, we dove from their boat, Ballena, which was being rented by Blue Angel. In a word, the boat is phenomenal! Our DM said it was only 6-months old at the time.

Didn't we meet? I was there in May and dove off that boat several times.

Yeah, it's a sweet ride. Those 4-cycle engines are so quiet!

ggunn:
Didn't we meet?

Gordon, I'm fairly certain we never dived together and met. We only dived from Ballena 1 day which was 5/13. That day we did Columbia Deep and Paso del Cedral. Check your log. I know on another day that we were talking to another couple from Colorado and didn't realize until our SI that it was someone else (H2ODoc) from here on SB. You probably dove with them. They were staying at Caribe Blu also. However, I think I saw you going through customs at IAH carrying a huge grasshopper made of palms. Was that you? Nice grasshopper, grasshopper! :D

driftin' by:
Gordon, I'm fairly certain we never dived together and met. We only dived from Ballena 1 day which was 5/13. That day we did Columbia Deep and Paso del Cedral. Check your log. I know on another day that we were talking to another couple from Colorado and didn't realize until our SI that it was someone else (H2ODoc) from here on SB. You probably dove with them. They were staying at Caribe Blu also. However, I think I saw you going through customs at IAH carrying a huge grasshopper made of palms. Was that you? Nice grasshopper, grasshopper! :D

Yep, that was me. It was a present for my daughter who was missing our family Cozumel trip for the first time. We spoke briefly, didn't we?

Thanks for the review. It's nice to hear there is another good dive op in Cozumel.
I will keep them in mind.

ggunn:
Yep, that was me.

Sorry, :eek:fftopic: Cool, now I know what you look like for next time. We didn't speak because the one time I saw you, I was focused on the huge grasshopper then after you passed I noticed the green surveyors tape then it was too late... we were getting our passports stamped. But maybe next May... we usually go in May via IAH since it's 10 minutes from our house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom