Cozumel - New Hotel report - Occidental Grand Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Mathieson

Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from a GREAT 2 week stay in Cozumel (first time there). Stayed in the new Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel - it just opened in October, and is between the Iberostar and Allegro. We found it on the web in September, but did not book as the rack rates are very high, especially over Xmas. So we booked a ski trip.

But - come mid December and El Nino - NO SNOW - no skiing. What to do with 2 weeks booked off work over Xmas?

Looked on the web again - found the same hotel at one-third the September price - fantastic - about $970 USD per person for a family of six, including accommodation, all food and drinks, and airfare Vancouver BC to Cancun direct. Unbelievably cheap.

The hotel is smallish for an all inclusive - about 220 rooms - and beautifully laid out on well landscaped grounds. The shoreline mangrove swamp has been preserved in part, as Mexican environmental protection laws are coming to have some effect on development (no beachfront rooms) with a huge pool / restaurant complex right on the beach. The beach had been about 70 yards of natural sand - but a storm in July washed most of it away - but it is already coming back. No problem with a nice sandy entry to the water.

The rooms are very large, and elegant - marble floors and fixtures, huge bathrooms with separate shower and bath - really quite a bit nicer than most all inclusives - much nicer than the Allegro or Iberostar. Rooms are in 3 story villas each with 22 or 24 rooms- about 9 all together.

Food was really good. Much better than I would have eaten at home - main buffet was great, plus 3 reservation/menu places. No shortage of fresh fruit, fish and healthy stuff plus lots of not-so-healthy stuff. Plus enough booze to float a navy. (wasted on me, a non-drinker). Even with all the free booze, the place was not plagued with obnoxious drunks.

About half the guests were specifically there for the diving - and a really nice mix of interesting people. Great people to talk to on the dive boats. Most people were from the US, quite a few Canadians from Toronto or Montreal, plus Germans, Poles and a delightful transplanted Brasilian. Quite a few families.

But, not much time for chatting on the boats - Santa Rosa wall is 3 minutes away. Palancar, Columbia, Cedral, San Francisco, Francesca, Dalila - all within a few minutes.

The local dive op is Dive Palancar - I have read some up and down comments about them on the board, based upon their Allegro operation (Occidental and Allegro are owned by the same corporation) - but I have to say I have nothing but good things to say about them. They have very good equipment (brand new Mares gear just arrived Dec 26 after languishing in Mexican customs for months) - all computers - nice new wetsuits, etc. Their boats are really good - the main boat Oystier is very comfortable with a nice entry / exit platform - lots of room. The number of divers in a group varied a lot - sometimes just my son and I on our own boat, sometimes two groups of 8 divers plus 2 students with 3 or 4 divemasters / instructors.

The staff was extremely accommodating, safety conscious, and friendly. Dives were adapted to the level of the divers, ranging from beginners to hard core. Boat captains managed to keep the groups well separated so you didn't feel like you were in a crowd, and yet picked you up quickly and efficiently - even on the couple of days when the currents went all wacky and took people in different directions.

Instructors were excellent - my 13 year old son did his PADI OW checkout dives with Oscar - a really solid teacher. Even though there are supposed to just be 4 dives, I saw him take one somehwhat nervous fellow on 8 or 9 dives before he would sign him off - no extra charge - he just wouldn't let someone go until he was happy with their diving. Petra and Ricardo were the other two intructors, and after watching them quite closely for the 2 weeks, I think they were also first rate.

Four dives a day routinely (9, 1030, 2 and 330 approx) plus night dives M W F - plus any other dives you wanted to do and get 6 people together for. Costs were about the same as most of the other operators, and it was just so easy - you didn't have to book anything much in advance - just stroll over from your pool chair and jump on the boat whenever you felt like it!

Custom dives were no problem - I did a couple with my newly certified 13 year old - and a couple of deep ones with my older boy and some friends we met. No problem doing a Maracaibo trip - $15 extra - but the weather didn't cooperate on the two times we tried - westerly winds closed the port to boats under 40 feet. They also do Nitrox.

There is no dock or pier for the hotel - but I found out it is just because they have been waiting for a year for their permit - it was supposed to be built in time for the opening, but the bureaucrats have frustrated their plans. Should be in sometime this year. Still, beach entries were fine for us - they managed to get the boats in very close to shore - but with a bit of wave action might be a problem for anyone with a handicap, bad back or other physical limitation.

Several other dive ops picked up guests from the hotel - Black Shark and Blue Angel were there most days, plus several others. No problems.

The other staff in the hotel was, for the most part, very engaging and friendly. (A couple of grumps at the front desk).

Not too much for teenagers to do at night there - and it was a bit far from town for excursions - 150 peso cab ride each way. But - the diving!! so easy, so close - and so great.

The rack rates are ridiculously high - but check out discount operators. A large number of really nice people from Colorado had come with Apple tours - even lower price than we got.

I haven't really even talked about the diving per se - but lots of others on this board have, and all I can say it was even better than I had been led to expect.

We would go back in a minute. It was perfect for the six of us - 3 divers, 3 nondivers. I got all the dives I could manage, without my wife and other kids feeling abandoned.

Two thumbs up.

Great trip report! Sounds like you had a blast.

Hi John:
Nice report. I have been in contact with the manager Miguel, and he does offer some very reasonable prices. Also Apple Vacations has the air to go with it with great prices. That is how I usually sell Cozumel, through them.

The only thing I don't like is the long expensive cab rides into town. And I think you miss a lot of the fabulous restaurants by staying at an all inclusive.
Did you get to town, and eat at the local places?

About the cab fare from that far south...isn't it about $15us one way to town?

Dee:
I just had clients that asked for Iberostar come back. They said it was 20.00 for two people one way. Ouch!
I'd rather have the long free boat ride, then pay a cab 40.00 to take me to eat dinner.
But that's just me.

The cab fare was indeed a bit high - 150 pesos or $15 for two people, one way.

And it is true that with an all inclusive it does reduce your incentive to try restaurants, and with the cabfare, no you wouldn't go regularly.

We did go a couple of times - and enjoyed it. Also tried a couple of places on the east coast while renting a car - very nice.

But, with 4 kids, and extremely good food, we ate at the hotel most of the time.

One thing I liked about it was that the food at the hotel wasn't just "international American" food that is found at a lot of places - although you could get that too - there was always a fine assortment of Mexican dishes, and very friendly chefs who would basically make anything you wanted - so you could get a local feel, instead of a generic feel.

It was really nice having such short boat rides - partly since there was a bit of weird weather while we were there with westerly wind and choppy water.

Many ways to have fun there.

Wow, looks like you had a great time! I am going to Cozumel in March. Occidental Grand was one of our options, but we chose Cozumel Palace. We wanted to be close to downtown b/c we will be there for Spring Break. I hope we didn't make a mistake. But I guess you can't go wrong with an all-inclusive. :)

Thanks for that report John!!

Can't wait!!! Were leaving on Sat. to the Occ. Grand for a week. Great to here your review of the resort was all positive. Any other tips?? Did you participate in any of the excursions? Were interested in going to Tulum, any experience with that trip? How was your weather?

Cheers,
Steve

Oops, you may want to look closely at the date of the post - the original was back in 2002! Checking his profile, John's last post was in 2004.

We stayed at the Grand in late May and are going back again in late November. We had a great time.

Wow, looks like you had a great time! I am going to Cozumel in March. Occidental Grand was one of our options, but we chose Cozumel Palace. We wanted to be close to downtown b/c we will be there for Spring Break. I hope we didn't make a mistake. But I guess you can't go wrong with an all-inclusive. :)

um aubie, this report is almost 5 years old. Occidental is still one of the nicer AI properties, but it's no longer new.

I have to tell you that even if you stay at an AI in Cozumel, you would really be doing yourself a disservice not to get into town and enjoy some of the great restaurants the island has to offer.

BTW....can I ask what you are holding in your picture?

Back
Top Bottom