Non-diving question for those in the know.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crbrown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be returning to Cozumel for the first time in 12 years & will be accompanied by my wife who will be making her first visit. It seems to me that I remember that some common foods (aside from desserts) in the Yucatan region contain cocoa or chocolate as a primary flavor ingredient. The problem is, my wife is deathly allergic to chocolate. Can anyone tell me if there are certain dishes to watch out for specifically or will she just have to settle for cheeseburgers the whole trip? Thank you in advance & if this question is misplaced, feel free to relocate.

Thank You,

Chris

Welcome to SB!

Mole sauces have chocolate in them and are popular on Cozumel. If she is that allergic to it, I would be sure to inform your server and ask that pans, utensils and other items that are used to prepare the mole dishes are not used to prepare her meal. This is not an uncommon request in the states, but probably an uncommon one in Mexico.

The spanish word for chocolate is the same...chocolate.

I would think that with some minor precautuions you should be able to avoid a week of cheeseburgers on your vacation.:wink:

Good luck!

I would recommend you bring with you any allergy medication that her doctor has prescribed (such as an Epi-pen), as epinephrine is not readily available in Mexico.. just to be on the safe side. oh, and remember to bring the prescription sheet with you so that customs officials dont take you for some lowlife drugpusher.

I can only think of that one dish (mole). So for the most part you should be fine. Most everything else is prepared in a garlic/butter sauce.

Most everything else is prepared in a garlic/butter sauce.

That's a massive overstatement.

However, I agree that apart from things that have "chocolate" in their names that moles are the only things that would likely contain cocoa. Not all moles do, but with an allergy that severe it wouldn't be worth taking chances

For your responses. I was pretty sure that the mole was our primary concern but I wanted to leave the question kind of open ended in case someone knew of any other specific recipes to look out for. I think with a little caution, communication & common sense, this is really not too much of a concern. I do know that your comments will make her feel a whole lot better about the trip.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom