Divers Paradise in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if anyone has dove with Divers Paradise in Cozumel within the last year or earlier?

If so, how was their service, safety, etc etc

Thanks,

DP has a long presence on Coz, since early 1984, and now is up to 5 outlets. As an aside, the owner & manager, Renee Applegate, AKA "Apple," was inducted into the Women Divers Hall of Fame at the Beneath The Sea show in NJ last Sat night.

Anyway, DP is a high volume op serving a mixed bag of divers, and this means that if you go with their regular boats they'll be regimentation in schedules & dive profiles. It also means boats with many divers & not visiting the more advanced sites. And this is fine with many divers. They do have decent boats & pleasant staff, and are safety conscious.

Luckily for the diver who is qualified & wants more, they offer an Experienced Diver Program (EDP). It takes small groups of experienced divers in small, fast boats to more advanced sites & allows them greater diver freedom. If you're going to use DP, I highly recommend this option.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Jep

I dove with them over valentines weekend and i can say that they were great. we did the fast boat "caribiean" (SP?) and it was able to get usto the sites faster and before the other boats (including the cattle and cruise ship snorkeler boats, it was funny to be below a group of snorkelers as we drifted under them and watching some of them start jumping in the water when they started to have bubbles started to get into the group). Our DM Jose was great and very knowledgeable of the reefs and is from what im hearing one more senior DM's for dive paradise and was great.

while there we say plenty of wildlife and say several manta rays with wing spans over 15 feet that were amazing, and our DM went chasing after it to get some fishing line out of its mouth (and that was against the current to, and it was ripping on that reef )

also if you like wrecks do a dive on the C53, yeah its a planted wreck but its intresting to explore.

also bring the video camera theres alot to see and film

jepuskar once bubbled...
Thanks guys!

One more thing, the more advanced dives are considered what? Deeper and stronger current?

Jason

yes they are more advanced dive 100 + feet , sometimes minor deco and if you miss the boat in the current your next stop is cuba

Yes, largely greater depths & the possibility of stronger currents, although overhead environment figures into some of them.

Sites like Maracaibo Deep, Garganta del Diablo, Barracuda, San Juan, Cantrel, and of course some of those around east discussed in my article that you posted earlier would be considered advanced.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I'll see how the first couple days of diving goes....my diving experience up to this point has been anything but stressful. It would be nice to try something a little more advanced if I feel confident in my ability.

Thanks for the insight.

Jason

I suspect that you'll gain confidence after a few days diving in Coz, but by all means go only at a comfortable pace. The more advanced sites will be there for a very long time to come.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I'm not going to overdo anything, especially in an unfamiliar dive environment. I'll probably love it, just like Bonaire, just like the local quarry..although not as much any more. :wink:

Just got back. Logged 16 dives with Dive Paradise (including AOW Certification). I was talking to Apple last Saturday (wish I knew of her induction into the Hall of Fame). I recommend Dive Paradise. I heard that the "cattle boats" would suck. I loved them. We met so many nice people on those boats. Luis and Jaime were awesome DM's- a lot of fun. I talked to a lot of people in the last 10 days, and no matter what dive shop people used, someone, somewhere have something bad to say, but 90% of the time people like the dive shop they choose. I would dive with them again. Also check in with Aqua Safari and Micheles. I noticed very clean facilities and very friendly staff in those two places.
:guitar:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom