Cozumel has a new Gym - EGO!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I enjoyed my first work-out this morning at Cozumel's first modern gym! It's called EGO and is located at the corner of Calle 11 and Av. 5 - just behind the bowling alley more or less if you know where that is!

Monthly membership is $660 pesos ($50 USD +/-) or $100 pesos per day for visitors. They are working on some weekly packages for visitors as well.

Ego has most amenities that we look for in a nice gym, including state of the art Life Fitness equipment:
  • 5 Elliptical Trainers
  • 2 Summit Climbers
  • 7 treadmills
  • 3 upright stationary bikes
  • 4 sitting stationary bikes
  • 1 rowing machine
  • multiple of each weight machine - every machine you need
  • Free weights
  • Seperate men's and women's steam rooms
  • 3 showers in each locker room
  • complimentary towels and lockers with keys
  • smoothie bar
  • nice padded gym floors
  • and central AC
  • Big screen TV's (coming soon)
  • Spinning room/classes
  • Pilates
  • Yoga and Power Yoga
  • Kickboxing
  • Zumba

I LOVE it and am so excited to finally have a nice gym to go to after 8 years!

That's a deal killer!!!!!

:rofl3:

the gym sounds great...I have a friend that took Zumba lessons and lost all kinds of weight....and she loves to dance....:D

I recently bought the Zumba DVDs... I just need to actually start using them.

I ate two of the DVDs and found they were not filling enough to satisfy my hunger pangs. :D

Otter:
I ate two of the DVDs and found they were not filling enough to satisfy my hunger pangs.

But I bet they taste better then those rice cake things? :wink:

As always, a big thanks to Christi for keeping us up to date about the latest developments in Coz. This is great news for the local and all the visiting gym rats although you'll never catch me in a gym while on vacation.

Here are a few pictures I took yesterday after my workout. I was there at 10:00am, so you can see that it wasn't crowded at all. When I went back later at 4:30, there were about 25 people in there...I LOVE it!!!!

n1492844180_30166874_8236.jpg

Cardio area (upstairs overlooking the workout floor/treadmills look out the windows facing the ocean)
n1492844180_30166875_8488.jpg

Spinning room

n1492844180_30166879_9391.jpg

Looking down onto the workout floor

n1492844180_30166882_89.jpg

Free weight area (underneath the cardio area)

n1492844180_30166883_326.jpg

Another view of the workout floor

n1492844180_30166884_562.jpg

One of two class studios

n1492844180_30166886_1028.jpg

A view from the middle of the workout floor (smoothie bar on the right)

n1492844180_30166870_7359.jpg

Nice roomy/private shower stalls

Christi, This is fantastic news ! The place really looks like it has a very neat setup. ENJOY !!!! Sue

Very impressive for Coz, thanks for the update Christi. Hopefully the A/C works great! I workout nearly every day in the U.S., so I might just use this once or twice in Coz. It will be great for visitors, though at $50/month I doubt many local workerbees can afford it.

Very impressive for Coz, thanks for the update Christi. Hopefully the A/C works great! I workout nearly every day in the U.S., so I might just use this once or twice in Coz. It will be great for visitors, though at $50/month I doubt many local workerbees can afford it.

I know $50 is steep compared to most US gym prices...but it still works out to about the same per year when you consider the initiation fees you typically have to pay for a US gym membership. AND...compared to the $25 to $30 per month the other gyms charge here it's really a deal with all of the amenities they offer. It is the only gym here that has cardio equipment...working cardio equipment anyway. And of course there is the AC...yes, it works good and it's always running at just the right temperature. That is a big expense for the gym. So yes, while it may be out of reach financially for some people, I think for what it is and what it has to offer it's a value at less than $2 per day.

I will be offering day passes to the non-diving spouses/family members of my divers who want to work out while they are here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom