I wish someone else in Cozumel would start doing Nitrox fills...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
AFAIK, there is still only one place in Cozumel that does Nitrox fills. Certainly would explain the $10/tank premium for Nitrox there now.

I used to do Nitrox on all my dives in Cozumel when it was $7/tank. At the new pricing, I'm doing air on the first and Nitrox on the 2nd. It's still costing me close to $100/week extra but I guess I can tolerate it.

-Charles

One thing I did hear while at Scuba Club a couple of weeks ago, was that they were working on getting the equipment needed to handle nitrox and compliment their cuurent fill facility. How much truth to that statement is unknown, however.

Mike

You're not the only one! It's getting absurd! They just sent out a notice to operators last week...prices raised AGAIN! And if you only get your nitrox from them...the price is even higher for the nitrox fills. Fortunately, they fill all my tanks...so I get the "cheap" nitrox rate! We don't even get a break for crew tanks which is a big deal for my operation because I provide nitrox for my crew whenever they need it an/or request it. I will continue to do so...but it's just another expense.

So all the operators get their Nitrox from the same place? I dive with Nitrox cause my wife got tired of me falling asleep at the dinner table (she's a non-diver).

So all the operators get their Nitrox from the same place? I dive with Nitrox cause my wife got tired of me falling asleep at the dinner table (she's a non-diver).

Yes...there's only one fill station that does the fills. The only exception to this are a couple of the very large operations at the resorts who have their own compressors onsite or offsite facilities where they fill only their tanks. Sand Dollar and Dressel are the two that have their own. I believe Dive Palancar fills their own tanks as well.

One thing I did hear while at Scuba Club a couple of weeks ago, was that they were working on getting the equipment needed to handle nitrox and compliment their cuurent fill facility. How much truth to that statement is unknown, however.

Mike

Yes, Scuba Club Cozumel has been looking into it. I'm not sure when it will happen, but its a pretty significant investment. Not sure what they will charge for NITROX fills once they do get it, but it will be nice to get tanks any time you want without having to order it in advance.

Is $10 extra a tank really that big a deal? Lots of places in Caribbean are more then that, and accommodations and diving is more too, not to mention food and drink costs. Even adding $10 for each Nitrox fill, Cozumel is still one of the best dive vacation values in the Caribbean.

Is $10 extra a tank really that big a deal?

It's out of line with the rest of the places I dive. Usually I'll do 17 to 20 tanks a week during a vacation. In Coz, that's $170 to $200 extra for Nitrox.

Same week at Cocoview is $100. They do $100/week unlimited Nitrox.

Same week on the Aggressor is $100. Again, unlimited for the week.

Best deal I've ever found was Fish N Fins in Palau. Nitrox or air, same price.

prices raised AGAIN!

Christi, can you share the rates with us here? Not what you're paying, but how much extra would Nitrox cost us divers now?

Thanks!

-Charles

Why has nobody named the operation (or did I miss it)? I would think that if they are raping people and businesses they should be named publically. It can be done in a tactful manner but if that does not happen, I would say that we must not want change too bad. A business I can understand NOT naming them, but individuals.....there is really no reason IMO.

Also, from a business standpoint, if this company is taking advantage of businesses, why not talk to the other outfits that fill their own and arrange something for less money to have them fill the tanks for you? I know it is never that simple, but as long as there is more than 1 company filling nitrox, there is possibilities.

Why has nobody named the operation (or did I miss it)? I would think that if they are raping people and businesses they should be named publically. It can be done in a tactful manner but if that does not happen, I would say that we must not want change too bad. A business I can understand NOT naming them, but individuals.....there is really no reason IMO.

Yes, you may need to read the original post and the follow-ups again. It's not a dive operation "raping" people. It's the central fill station that sets the prices and there is only ONE that fills nitrox for 99% of the operations on the island. They don't offer any volume discounts or even crew tank rates.

charlesml3:
Christi, can you share the rates with us here? Not what you're paying, but how much extra would Nitrox cost us divers now?

More or less...they raised prices by $1 if you have your own nitrox tanks, $1.25 more if you are renting their nitrox tanks, and $1.50 more if you only get nitrox fills from them. These are the increases from the previous prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom