Tools confiscated by Mex. TSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

la_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Leaving coz. through the Coz. airport, security checked my carry on , no big deal looked in carry on pulled out 2 wrenches maybe 3 inches long and said that mex. rule state that no tools allowed in carry on. I told him that tools had to be 7'' or less but he said no tools. no big lose. Just wanted to pass this information on. I did ask an official in Memphis about mex rules and just laughed because he also had tools confiscated. These tools were a 14mm and 5/8 end wrench ,nothing sharp that could be use as a weapon .

It sounds like he wanted to enhance his personal tool kit. Difficult to make much of an argument when your aircraft awaits, but not for long.

Lost a leatherman the same way when got the "red light" at security in Cozumel.

Carried both through security in Dec. without a problem before I cut the wrenches down to 3''. The rules may change from day to day depending on who the security who is checking. Airports may differ . Dec. I went through Cancun .This time was Coz. in my carry on and they took them and said no tools at all.

According to TSA, Tools are not allowed as they are considered a hazard, of course this depends on the day of the week and the checker. You could take things apart and cause problems during the flight. I have traveled with tools and not had an issue and I have had them take some very expensive tools that belonged to DOD. They tried to take my Ikelite housing because I had "drill bits' in it. I put it all together and should them how the "drill bits" were operation buttons for the camera.

my two cents...I ain't travelling to Mexico these days anyway. Love Coz, but that country has become way too dangerous for tourists

Not Mexico related, but airport security wanted to confiscate my steel-toed boots once claiming that "it could be used to harm someone" -- as said earlier, depends on the agent and if they had a good day or not.

It's been a year since I've been to Coz (until later this month), but I've often seen them confiscate things when they do their gate checks that would be permitted in the States or on an outbound flight from the States. Bottles of water purchased after security, lip balms, glasses repair kits, etc. My husband's Green Force can light battery pack is a problem everywhere we go. You're not allowed to put it in checked baggage b/c it's a fire hazard but if you carry it on they threaten to confiscate it. So far we've always gotten it on but one of these days...

Leaving coz. through the Coz. airport, security checked my carry on , no big deal looked in carry on pulled out 2 wrenches maybe 3 inches long and said that mex. rule state that no tools allowed in carry on. I told him that tools had to be 7'' or less but he said no tools. no big lose. Just wanted to pass this information on. I did ask an official in Memphis about mex rules and just laughed because he also had tools confiscated. These tools were a 14mm and 5/8 end wrench ,nothing sharp that could be use as a weapon .

real meaning.... tools aren't allowed through security because we can confiscate them and keep them for ourselves...

my two cents...I ain't travelling to Mexico these days anyway. Love Coz, but that country has become way too dangerous for tourists

agreed. too much drug war carnage going on.

maybe the "battleground" is not in couzmel, but there have been drug murders of police even right across the water in Playa del Carmen and Cancun recently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom