current water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shawrg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm packing gear right now & still trying to decide which wetsuit to bring. My personal comfort gauge is set to 5mm if below 80 deg F. As best I can tell, water temperature is 78 deg F so in goes the 5. Does anyone have a different temperature reading to report?

Thanks

We just got back on Tuesday, and I was getting readings from from 74-76 on my computer (an Oceanic Atom 2.0) Based on the computer, I was hearing everybody a degree or two different on the dives ...

The data buoy says 79.2 F. Computers don't exactly have a scientific instrument level of accuracy.

For future reference: NDBC - Station 42056
Probably true, although my computer usually matched up pretty well to the actual reported temps at depth for my local lake diving ... and the buoy report is only reporting at a depth of 3.28 feet , which matches people reporting 80 at the surface.... my lowest readings were around 90 feet ...

I felt good with a 5 pretty much the whole time, although some were wearing hoods. My computer was consistently reading 75 two weeks ago, as was the DM's computer. A fellow diver's Suunto was reading 78.

I usually take a 3mm but last year used a 3/2 which really wasn't enough, adding a hood made it good. Going to use the same suit this year along with a hooded vest to add a little to the core.

I was in Cozumel during te last week of Febraury and my computer recorded minimum water temps of 77F or 78F. I used a 5 mil wetsuit for the trip and was quite comfortable. I found that some of my dive companions wearing thinner suits were chilled during the apres dive boat rides.

I just got back from Cozumel last Sunday (3/22); my computer showed a bottom temp. of 78 the entire week and I was fine in a lycra dive skin. That being said, whenever I was on the boat I had the top part of the skin off, wore a lightweight fleece shirt, and sat in the sun. For me, as long as I'm dry between dives, I'm a happy camper. Almost everyone else on my boat wore full 3 mm suits and were ok.

Back
Top Bottom