The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The news today here is covering some outbreaks of a flu-like virus in Mexico that has killed a number of people, mostly aged 25-45. What are other people hearing about this, especially those of you in Mexico? The timing couldn't be worse, I'm supposed to head down for my wedding next Friday...

globeandmail.com: Canadians returning from Mexico warned of illness

:shakehead: (not directed at you, but the media)

Don't worry! Enjoy Cozumel and congratulations - we're "worlds" away from any of the locations mentioned in the article. However, as always...if you feel sick, go to the doctor! Those who do not treat an upper respiratory infection and allow it to turn into severe bronchitis and then pneumonia run the risk of more serious illness and possible death.

Last edited:
:shakehead: (not directed at you, but the media)

Don't worry! Enjoy Cozumel and congratulations - we're "worlds" away from any of the locations mentioned in the article. However, as always...if you feel sick, go to the doctor! Those who seek timely medical care do not die from an upper respiratory infection! Those who do not treat an upper respiratory infection and allow it to turn into severe bronchitis and then pneumonia run the risk of more serious illness and possible death.

Agreed that the news was from Central Mexico mainly, but Christi the remark that 'one does not die from upper respiratory infection' is very irresponsible as you are NOT a doctor and you are not qualified to make that claim. This is a very serious outbreak and it is not known completely as to the origin. THATS serious. It is also being reported in South America. I am sure the precautions as how to avoid this infection are available.

Ok, so maybe Christi may have sounded a little casual about a real threat. We often chat casually here, not as if we are preparing a case to present to the jury, etc. And I think when you re-read her comments, cautions are there. If anything, Christi is certainly a cautious and careful person. Like she said, if you get ill, see a doctor - an option many Mexican natives do not always have.

MGW, I can appreciate your concern. If I were traveling to Cozumel to get married, I'd be a nervous wreck. But as Christi correctly noted, Coz is a lonnnnng ways from those outbreaks.

Excerpting from the article, emphasis mine....

But she cautions that there is no reason to be worry.

Before the 2003 SARS outbreak, Mexico, like other countries, would have investigated the incident, but not alerted other countries. Lessons have since been learned. Dr. McGeer said health officials are constantly on alert for the next pandemic.

Å°ne of these alerts is going to be the beginning of the next pandemic. Does this sound like that's what it is? Probably not. Can I guarantee that? Well, no, she said. Å´omething's going on, and until we sort out what it is, all of us need to be watching for it and trying to figure it out.

There's no reason for Canadians to change their plans to travel to Mexico, Dr. McGeer said.

Mexico is to be commended for making the news available, even tho the article seems to not address where the outbreaks are. We also have new strains of Swine Flu announced in the US this week; there's always something; wash your hands often, take the usual precautions, and have a great trip. :pilot:

I sent a couple of young, previously healthy people to the ICU or to tertiary care hospitals this winter from the small town in Eastern Washington where I work. There are some NASTY respiratory viruses out there, and they are not unique to Mexico. There is no way to avoid exposure altogether, but good handwashing goes a long way toward protection.

Christi, people do die of respiratory illnesses, despite prompt and completely correct medical attention. Some things are to be feared. This one doesn't appear to be an issue in Cozumel.

My apologies if I offended anyone. I stand corrected.

However, I was not referring to ALL respiratory illnesses and certainly wasn't making any diagnosis. I was making a general statement referring to your basic upper respiratory infection as I know them (as a head/chest cold) - which have been going around locally and there have been no reports of deaths from this that I'm aware of. I incorrectly assumed that this is what the poster was referring to.

No, I am not a doctor, never claimed to be and don't play one on TV...so saying that I am irresponsible is going a little far.

Thank you Don for "getting" the intent of my post - and apologies again to anyone that may have been offended by my general remarks on the topic.

I sent a couple of young, previously healthy people to the ICU or to tertiary care hospitals this winter from the small town in Eastern Washington where I work. There are some NASTY respiratory viruses out there, and they are not unique to Mexico. There is no way to avoid exposure altogether, but good handwashing goes a long way toward protection.

Christi, people do die of respiratory illnesses, despite prompt and completely correct medical attention. Some things are to be feared. This one doesn't appear to be an issue in Cozumel.

I had a monstrously nasty upper respiratory infection this past winter. My only regret is that I was an idiot and "fought through it" with OTC and no doctor visit. My wife was much more bright when she got sick and went to the doc and recovered WAY faster than I did.

I'm not that worried about it, I figured Coz is a ways away from those spots... My Fiance is a bit more of a worrier.
I just wanted to see what people were saying about it locally... Cheers

Eighteen of the 20 deaths were in central Mexico, where the climate is far different than Cozumel, not to mention the poor air quality around Mexico City, where 65% of the deaths occurred.

Central Mexico is actually very pretty and great place to visit, but it can be very hard on the sinuses and allergies, depending on the time of year.

Back
Top Bottom