Trip Report - If You're Thinking of Staying at Fiesta Americana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from 5 days / 4 nights at the Fiesta Americana Dive Resort on Cozumel. I was extremely pleased with accomodations. Rooms are lovely and clean. If you stay in the main hotel rather than one of the tropical "casitas" out back you will have a gorgeous view of the water to greet you every morning.

The staff was extremely friendly and accomodating. When we first arrived there were only double bed rooms available. The front desk clerk promised to try to find a king bed room for us. Sure enough, the following day, Fausto came through and we moved to a room that had been vacated since our arrival.

There were very few children around this Memorial Day weekend - a real plus for my sweetie and me who are both child-free and enjoy peace and quiet. I don't know if this is always true.

We chose not to take the all-inclusive option. I now regret that. I thought we would go into town a lot for dinner and possibly lunch as well. We only ate off the property one time. We ended up doing 4 dives a day and by the time we finished we just didn't have the energy to haul our water-logged carcasses into town. We ate at the Fiesta Americana Restaurants.

If I go back to FA (and I was impressed enough that I am strongly considering a return trip in November) I will definitely opt for the all inclusive package. The food (with the exception of the "Italian Night" buffet) is was quite good. It may not be up to Primas or La Choza, but as part of the AI option it's defintely convenient and a good value. It's a good way to ensure a stress-free vacation.

AI would have cost us 30$ per day for each of us - a total of 60$ per day. Without the magic wrist bands we ended up paying MUCH more. The breakfast buffet was roughly 13$ per person. We paid 25$ a piece for the "Italian Night" buffet dinner. It was tasty, but the ingredients of my sparse meal probably set the hotel back about 2$. It just wasn't good value for the money. Lunches at the lovely REEF waterfront restaurant were much better and also a much better value. The most expensive items on that menu were the seafood entrees at roughly $16. I was able to get away with spending half that at lunch. The meal we had at the ala carte restaurant was delicious. I had a salad and fish tacos. My companion had soup and a steak. We ended up spending about 60$ for that meal. Bottled water cost 4$ at the restaurants or $2.50 at the small smoke shop by the pool.

My sweetie paid all the food charges when he checked us out earlier today. When I asked he wouldn't tell me the total. He was sufferring from sticker shock.

FA has a beautiful pool PLUS a nice beach area with a second pool. The water is warm and inviting. It looked clean to me. Large fluffy beach towels are provided.

Although we used Dive with Martin as our dive operator, we were able to use the lockers at the on site dive shop to store our gear. DWM picked us up on time (or EARLY!) twice a day at the FA pier. Our dive master, David, was great at finding local critters such as pipe seahorses and splendid toadfish. I was impresssed that he built deep stops (deep swims, actually) into the dive profiles for the deeper wall dives that we did. He did a lot of hand holding on our first dives with him, but once he got to know us as divers he loosened up a bit. At the start of each dive he announced a maximum depth and bottom time, based on the PADI air tables. Just the same we got in a few shallow dives that lasted over an hour.

I can't comment on DWM's rental gear as my sweetie and I both brough our own stuff. I noticed that the BCs were Mares. No one using the rental gear had any trouble with it, with the exception of one gentleman who kept adding air to his BC when he meant to be venting it. I don't think the BC was the root of that problem.

DWM's multi day dive packages are surprisingly cheap. If you do several days of diving a 2 tank dive is $50, and Martin offers a discount on that price if you pay by cash or check. Rental gear (if you need it) is included free of charge. Your discount dollar gets you first class service however. I've dove with 3 other dive ops on Coz and DWM gave me better service than two of the others.

Boats are scheduled at various times throughout the day, based on demand. The boats are hit or miss. All of the ones I rode on had shade. Some of them are small and fast. The one we were on most of the time was a bit larger and a bit slower, but it was comfy and un-crowded and it got us where we were going without any hassles.

The DWM website is http://www.cozumel-diving.net/martin/. The best information I've found about Fiesta Americana is on Expedia. If you're thinking about using either for an upcoming Cozumel trip, feel free to PM me with questions.

Did you get an air inclusive package with Expedia? Was the flight direct or did you go through Cancun? If you don't mind, what was the package cost? Thanks for an informative trip report. :)

We have just returned from 10 days at FA (our second stay) We dove in Cozumel 1980 -84, traveled to other locations many times (Caymans, Bonaire, Fiji, lots of local Channel Islands diving since we have a boat). What a shock to return to Cozumel last year and see all the development and cruise ships (six in one day)

We dove with Aldora last year and thought they were great (Memo was great!) but decided to try Dive House for the convienence. We were very pleased with the operation. They grouped you according to ability. We had 6-8 divers on our boat, all the same level and lots of diving years. The boats left later than Aldora and returned earlier since they do not go to San Francisco beach for lunch. We did 2 morning dives and back in time for lunch. Bring your own lock and you can use their lockers at no cost.

Our first room was on the 3rd floor with a blocked view. The next day I requested a 7th floor, but all they had was a smoking room. They gave me a key to check it out and it was fresher smelling than the original and a great view. They moved us in 15 minutes and were helpful the entire stay. I would go with ALL INCLUSIVE if we go again The food was fine and the service great. We ate at Prima's, Guido's (will always be Pizza Rolandi to me), Casa Denis, aand Pancho's Backyard.

We booked thru Island Dreams. Package was $1390 for 10 days, five days of diving (we added more) 20% discount on meals at hotel and transfers. Pretty inexpensive. We used air miles.

Diving of course was spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope this isn't too long. It's the first time I've used this site.

raviepoo wrote...
At the start of each dive he announced a maximum depth and bottom time, based on the PADI air tables.
Why so restrictive? Some of your divers lack computers?

jbjclj once bubbled...
We dove with Aldora last year and thought they were great (Memo was great!) but decided to try Dive House for the convienence.
Other than having the dive office on site at the hotel, how was using Dive House more convenient?

I know that other operators will pick you up at the FA pier, but since you've done it both ways would you mind spelling out all of the advantages of going with Dive House vs someone else?

Thanks!

Positives with Aldora:

Early departure
Gear on boat each day
Computers free if you don't have one
Gear is ready for each dive
Memo (DM)
Great knowledge

Difficulties ( I really can't say anything negative)

You need to take your gear into town when you arrive. They were not in the office and we had to hang around til they arrived.
The same thing happened on departure, even though we had confirmed the time we would be there.

If cost is an issue, they are a little more expensive.

Smaller boats with a ladder that sometimes can be difficult if you have a choppy sea when you get out.

Positives with Dive House

On site owners if there is a problem (My regulator was faulty and I was able to use one of theirs)
Boats with heads (if that is an issue)
More spacious boats with easy access rear ladders.
Divers placed on boats by years of diving and experience (we had 6-8 divers each having 15-30 years experience.
Free lockers
Less $$$
Eddie and Miguel were great

Negatives with Dive House

You have to take your own gear down to the dock. Of course, they load and set it up for you. It was nice to get off the boat with Aldora and know your gear would be ready on the boat in the morning

It appeared to me that the larger boats (they have 4) were more crowded and had less experienced divers. Of course, more DM.

Later departure, but earlier return since they don't go to San Francisco.

We thought both were great and chose DH this time just to see what their operation was like.

Seems to me that all the dive ops with longevity mentioned on this site have positives and negatives. I think if you have a positve attitude and up to date skills you will have a great experience.

5 days, 4 nights, airfare from Philadelphia to Cozumel (with a stop in the horrendous Houston airport) for $670. We booked the diving directly with the dive shop and got a 10% discount for paying cash. With diving added in (4 dives a day for three days plus 2 dives on our afternoon of arrival) we paid less than $1000 each.

There was no problem at all with the Expedia package.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
Did you get an air inclusive package with Expedia? Was the flight direct or did you go through Cancun? If you don't mind, what was the package cost? Thanks for an informative trip report. :)

metridium once bubbled...
Why so restrictive? Some of your divers lack computers?

Just the same, breathing air, I came pretty close to deco on a couple of ocassions (WAY CLOSE at Punta Sur). None of the dives seemed too short to me. Usually my dive was ended by my buddy's dwindling air supply and not by the bottom time set by the DM.

Next time I go my sweetie should have his Nitrox cert. I think that will warrant moving up to 95 cu ft tanks.

raviepoo once bubbled...
Just the same, breathing air, I came pretty close to deco on a couple of ocassions (WAY CLOSE at Punta Sur).

You must not be diving a Suunto. Everytime I dive Punta Sur (Devils Throat, Cathedral) we go into deco. On AL80s its pretty much finish the swimthroughs and begin your stop(s). On LP100s, (with Living Underwater), we did some nice deep stop/diving and lots of time to enjoy the rest of the area.

Otter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom