Full review of Occidental Grand and Dive Palancar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conradb212

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We spent eight days at the Occidental Grand on Cozumel November 6-14, 2009. Hurricane/tropical storm Ida just spared the island and we only lost one day of diving. I wrote of a full review of the Occidental Grand, the dive shop on its premises, and diving there. See Occidental Grand review here.

For an abbreviated Cliff Notes version, see below:

The Occidental Grand, located towards the southern end of Cozumel, is a wonderful 4-star resort in a lush, vibrant, tropical setting. Wonderful style and architecture. Guest rooms are in a dozen or so of three-story buildings.

Meals are in a large buffet restaurant, a large open-air buffet restaurant by the beach, and two fancier restaurants (a steak house and a mediterranean style restaurant, both excellent) where you need reservations. Our all-included package did indeed include everything, even unlimited bar. Food is very good, service quick and friendly.

Guest rooms are large and quite luxurious, though the beds and pillows are hard. Tons of hot water, excellent water pressure, plenty of towels, hair blower, iron, etc. all there. Rooms have wireless internet access, but at an obnoxiously high price. That should definitely be included! All-tile floors good for divers with all our wet stuff.

Uniformed staff is helpful and friendly, English is spoken where needed. Both Dollars and Pesos are accepted, and there are both Dollar and Pesos ATMs on the premise. Gift shop has all the necessities.

Didn't check out the disco, but looks nice. Large kids playground with friendly, caring staff. Two large, awesome pools, albeit with amazingly cold water. On our November trip, mosquitoes were brutal, so bug spray is absolutely mandatory during the rainy season.

The dive shop, albeit listed as a PADI 5-Star facility, is small and rudimentary and nowhere near the level of the resort itself. There is no place to change, the "lockers" are small plastic boxes in sort of a chicken coop, getting on dive boats is a hit-or-miss affair, and sometimes the shop even ran out of weights or locks.

Overall, awesome place at a reasonable rate, but divers will want better facilities.

Thnx for the report

Your full review was excellent Conrad, worthy IMO of being published in a dive magazine. Thanks for taking the time to organize the repoprt so well...

A very professional looking review. Unfortunately my wife & I , plus 2 friends didn't think the resort lived up to it's 4 star rating. I can't comment on the dive shop because I dove with 2 off site ops that trip, but have dove with them many years ago. My thoughts are here.

2 weeks, 2 resorts, my thoughts & comments. - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

Back
Top Bottom