Trip report on 14-21 Dec. 2009 Cozumel trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On 14 December 2009, my wife, 19 year old son, and I left from Baton Rouge. We took a Delta flight to Atlanta, and then took another flight to Cozumel. Very easy travel. Arrived in Cozumel, avoided the guys in the airport trying to sell miscellaneous packages, went straight to the window selling taxi connections to the hotels, and bought our tickets. We were staying at the Presidente Intercontental, where we have stayed before, and went diving with Scuba Du, the house dive shop there. We love the setting of the Presidente, and the excellent food, and this trip was no exception. The diving was first-rate. Things continue to get better post-Wilma (this was our third trip since then). I saw a lot of finger corals that were getting established, and they were very pretty. The fish density was extremely high, and the variety was very good, too. I had no complaints at all. The dive operation run by Scuba Du was very good. We went out on two different boats over the course of the trip, Scuba du I and II. Typically, there were about 8 divers on the boat. We hired a private dive master, which is an additional $50/day. It is a good value for a group of three divers like us. My wife has MS, and requires a little extra attention, and I am a photographer, so a private dive master is also a private spotter.

We did five days of two-tank morning dives. We were scheduled for 6 days, but the fourth day had very rough seas, and no boats were allowed out. So we used that day to do some Christmas shopping in town. It was not a bad use of time, and we still got in lots of diving.

Here are a some pics from the trip.
4193317875_9702c1941b.jpg

4201116601_1dc3c379de.jpg

4193187323_e74481635b.jpg

4195223258_40972d978a.jpg

4211452215_21eeb51c83.jpg

4201870804_0351e51dc5.jpg

and the whole Flickr photo set can be found here: Cozumel pics from December 2009

VERY nice picts! Heading down in late Feb. and you just made the itch a little worse!

Great macro shots. Thanks

Your photographs are fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to share them.

Amazing photos. What equipment were you using if you don't mind sharing?

I managed a few days diving at Key Largo early this month, but he clarity and vis were nothing like what you had in Cozumel. We have a week scheduled in Cozumel in April. It will be our first time there and I cannot wait.

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. Much appreciated.

Herb, I use a Nikon D200 in a Subal housing and two Ikelite DS-125 strobes. I currently use two lenses, a Tokina 10-17mm wide angle zoom and a Nikkor 60mm for macro shots. I do not know about the water clarity around Key Largo (never dived there, though I want to), but the water was "gin clear" for most all of the Cozumel dives. I think that it is the best diving I have seen anywhere in the Caribbean. I am sure that you will have a great time there in April!

-Erwin

On 14 December 2009, my wife, 19 year old son, and I left from Baton Rouge. We took a Delta flight to Atlanta, and then took another flight to Cozumel. Very easy travel. Arrived in Cozumel, avoided the guys in the airport trying to sell miscellaneous packages, went straight to the window selling taxi connections to the hotels, and bought our tickets. We were staying at the Presidente Intercontental, where we have stayed before, and went diving with Scuba Du, the house dive shop there. We love the setting of the Presidente, and the excellent food, and this trip was no exception. The diving was first-rate. Things continue to get better post-Wilma (this was our third trip since then). I saw a lot of finger corals that were getting established, and they were very pretty. The fish density was extremely high, and the variety was very good, too. I had no complaints at all. The dive operation run by Scuba Du was very good. We went out on two different boats over the course of the trip, Scuba du I and II. Typically, there were about 8 divers on the boat. We hired a private dive master, which is an additional $50/day. It is a good value for a group of three divers like us. My wife has MS, and requires a little extra attention, and I am a photographer, so a private dive master is also a private spotter.

We did five days of two-tank morning dives. We were scheduled for 6 days, but the fourth day had very rough seas, and no boats were allowed out. So we used that day to do some Christmas shopping in town. It was not a bad use of time, and we still got in lots of diving.

Here are a some pics from the trip.
4193317875_9702c1941b.jpg

4201116601_1dc3c379de.jpg

4193187323_e74481635b.jpg

4195223258_40972d978a.jpg

4211452215_21eeb51c83.jpg

4201870804_0351e51dc5.jpg

and the whole Flickr photo set can be found here: Cozumel pics from December 2009

Wonderful pictures! Glad you had a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom