Rental Car -Collision/Damage Waiver Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Didn't know this so thought I would pass it along incase others are unaware like I was. Booked a car for 10 days in Aug through Orbitz Hotel/Car package. Called my CC company, seems that the free Collision/Damage Waiver that comes with my CC is covered in MX. They gave me a direct phone number and said call collect if something happens (24/7). Not only did I save on hotel cost as a package but not having to buy this insurance pays for 3 days of diving. Anything to save money so I can dive more. Note this doesn't cover liability.

Didn't know this so thought I would pass it along in case others are unaware like I was. Booked a car for 10 days in Aug through Orbitz Hotel/Car package. Called my CC company, seems that the free Collision/Damage Waiver that comes with my CC is covered in MX. They gave me a direct phone number and said call collect if something happens (24/7). Not only did I save on hotel cost as a package but not having to buy this insurance pays for 3 days of diving. Anything to save money so I can dive more. Note this doesn't cover liability.

TRUST this opinion based on personal experience. Get the best coverage you possibly can but be aware of insurance fraud where they take the insurance money you paid them and just pocket it. They count on the odds that you will not get in an accident. Worse yet, if you do have an accident, you will pay the high deductible and they will pocket that too and then tell you to go to hell when it's time to make a claim or someone gets injured.

I was involved in a Jeep accident in Cozumel 12 days ago. I was sitting in the back of a rental Jeep (behind the driver) when we were broadsided. I took most of the hit and split my head open and was in the hospital for 3 days.

I will be posting about this in the next day or two but I have been royally screwed by this car rental company... and this is a company I have used many times in the past and to whom I refer business to.

For now, all I can say is: "Trust me, it is not worth it just to save a few dollars!"

Hey Jen-Which rental company was it? Are you ok with letting that out? thanks grrl.

I have a Chase CC.

Yes Jen, hope your head heals up okay and you can be back in the water again soon.
Can you let us know here who the rental car company was that did that?
So, I think we all know that insurance from a mexican company is needed, (absolutely), but how do we know they actually provide it to us when we rent from them. Seems there would be documents of some sort to show in the event of an accident.

Geez- we rent a jeep everytime we are in COZ and so far no accidents (knock on wood). We do buy all insurance with the assumption it will pay without hassle if needed. Please let us know which rental company did this to you. PM is OK.

Jean in MO

Edit: I see after a quick search you use the same agency as we do. Very discouraging!

Wow, Jen! Very best wishes and a good recovery and working out the caca...!
caca-1.png

Didn't know this so thought I would pass it along incase others are unaware like I was. Booked a car for 10 days in Aug through Orbitz Hotel/Car package. Called my CC company, seems that the free Collision/Damage Waiver that comes with my CC is covered in MX. They gave me a direct phone number and said call collect if something happens (24/7). Not only did I save on hotel cost as a package but not having to buy this insurance pays for 3 days of diving. Anything to save money so I can dive more. Note this doesn't cover liability.
Yeah, it's common for CCs to cover such even in Mexico if you decline the CDW, but I never would! As I understand it, here's what happens if they is any wreck or other problem at all...
You're a foreigner so you are in the wrong until proven otherwise.

Everything will be in Spanish, all forms, all legalities, etc. under the Mexican court system.

You will not leave until all claims are settled, by paying, or winning in court at a later date - and you might spend some time in a Mexican jail.

Once you pay, leave with your forms in Spanish, get back home - then you can file for possible reimbursements from your CC, and good luck there.​
Not me babe. I know that I'll pay a lot of full coverage but no way will I take drive a car otherwise. Making sure that the rental agreement says that I have it in Spanish is another challenge, but I do my best. In the US, I can count on protections under the law, my CC to cover me, even my Texas Liability to cover the rental car I was driving, but when you leave the US - you leave the US...!
I have a Chase CC.
I think that all Visa cards, maybe all cards, now promise coverage, but no way.

Orbitz and other booking sites also sell coverage, but the same risks apply. No way.

Yes, What Dandy Don said and more.

I will absolutely be saying who the rental car company is. The really frustrating part for me is the fact that I was just a passenger and the driver paid for the rental with his credit card.

I have had a hard time staying on the computer for any length of time as since the head injury I've had some problems with double vision and headaches 'cause of the blow to the occipital area of the skull and concussion. Also had some very frustrating memory problems but I do believe that will improve soon.
Hey, it's a great built-in excuse. Uh..sorry I forgot. Head injury.

I will most likely be posting the full story with copies of documents to support what has happened.

I gave them EVERY chance to do the right thing. It has been two weeks since the accident and they still have not furnished me with the name of the insurance company or an insurance agent. They have made NO attempt to cooperate even though we visited their office about six times with numerous phone calls also.
I am pretty sure at this point, it is because they do not have insurance.

Just a thought here...the driver who rented the Jeep did everything right and thought he paid for full insurance. He even went back to the rental car company two days later and paid, in cash $1,500 for the deductible. They just pocketed it.

What happens to the passenger that hops into a car or Jeep without the knowledge that the driver waived the insurance and did not purchase it? I wonder if some medical insurance policies out there do not cover you if you are out of the country. Thank God for DAN insurance. They backed me up and took over my care at the hospital.

Anyway, I will be spending most of the day composing a very complete story and I do plan to make it completely public. There were many, many witnesses and I am truly thankful for my friends on this island that 100% support me in taking them on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom