san francisco area Dive operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last minute looking for a dive operator in the San Francisco area, punta San Clemente, palancar.

We(4) are staying at the Residencias Reef resort July 2-7 . we would love to have a 3 dive option in the morning for all 4, and maybe 2 more after lunch for my wife and I. for all the days we can dive.:D (I would just have the tanks sent down but have not seen that option.):rofl3: and a night dive or two. might need Nitrox available also.

Any recommendations for Dive ops, and restaurants? oh ya I also love food.

With four of you, it wouldn't cost much more to hire your own boat - maybe no more with some ops. I don't know of any doing three dives before lunch, but if you had your own boat - you might get out early enough to arrange that with at least one Nitrox tank each in the three dives I think, maybe the middle tank if not two Nx tanks to minimize SIs. The DM has to make every dive with you so got to keep him/her safe too.

Cab fare for 4 would be $1+/each so you've narrowed the choice down to all of the operators in town, or for just a little more cab fare to include the Ops who in the marina who don't pick up in town. I think you want an Op who will store most of your gear for you or supply secure storage space.

Two divers doing another two dives after lunch gets away from the private boat idea unless you want to spend a lot, but if you got an Op to take your private boat out at 7am for three tightly timed dives, back to the dock in time for a fast lunch early enough for you two to go out again with an open boat for two more might work, that might work - with more Nx.

Last minute looking for a dive operator in the San Francisco area, punta San Clemente, palancar.

We(4) are staying at the Residencias Reef resort July 2-7 . we would love to have a 3 dive option in the morning for all 4, and maybe 2 more after lunch for my wife and I. for all the days we can dive.:D (I would just have the tanks sent down but have not seen that option.):rofl3: and a night dive or two. might need Nitrox available also.

Any recommendations for Dive ops, and restaurants? oh ya I also love food.

Five tans a day here is a very ambitious and not very realistic plan. SOP here for 99% of the ops is a two-tank morning dive and then a two tank afternoon dive and/or twilight night dive provided they have at least 4 divers to make the afternoon dives.

Any dive operator can pick you up at the pier where you are staying so finding a dive operator in that area is not necessary - and there is only one, Sand Dollar located at the Wyndam hotel adjacent to Residenicas Reef. Keep in mind that they do charge a $3 per diver/day fee for pier usage unless you are diving with the onsite, Sand Dollar.

Having the tanks sent down is not an option. There is no shore diving there and you are within Marine Park boundaries, so you are required to dive with a local DM at all times...and in order to get out to the reefs, you need a boat.

AS Don said, you can charter a private boat with any operator of your choice (which will obviously cost you more) or you can book a standard charter with any dive operator of your choice. I would pick 3 or 4 operators, e-mail them and discuss your needs/wishes and see what they can offer you!

Hope this helps - good luck and have fun!

[Thanks] all, I guess I did not understand how it works in Coz. my buddy that is going with us, has been there a few times and explained it to me.

interesting the thanks button is back but it is not part of the profile, it is a wondrous world.

I think I was off on where the San Francisco area is, sorry. I was thinking of the grocery, but that's a chain I think. Christi knows the island and it sounds like you're in the southern zone.

Hope you got your emails off. Time is short. Have a good trip. :pilot:

I think I was off on where the San Francisco area is, sorry. I was thinking of the grocery, but that's a chain I think. Christi knows the island and it sounds like you're in the southern zone.
Yes. San Francisco Beach is pretty far south. Back in the day it was the farthest south turnoff on the road before it veers east. Not any more, though.

Yes. San Francisco Beach is pretty far south. Back in the day it was the farthest south turnoff on the road before it veers east. Not any more, though.

No it is next to the the Wyndam Resort. Maybe 1/3 of the way to Punta Sur from town Stayed at the Reef Residencias as well Building 4 on the second floor. It is very nice. Rented a car while there which I would recomend for trips into town for some great dining. My dive op picked me up there and somehow avoided the charges in Nov. 2008 even though they were posted. Short trip to the Calleta marina to meet other dive ops. Christi's info is right on as usual.

San Francisco Beach is just a bit south of the Wyndham (formerly Reef Club) & all the additions to it, the southernmost section being the Aura. It's not easy deciding what to call Paradise Beach & what used to be San Francisco Beach, because to me they are one & the same, but I've been told there is a difference. This photo was taken while in front of a section of the Aura.

IMG_0443-1.jpg

And this one was also taken from there, but shows just how close Paradise Beach / San Francisco Beach & all the different beach clubs are to the Wyndham property. I'd estimate it to be a 200-300 yd walk.

IMG_0444-1.jpg

And Christi is correct in that there aren't any other dive ops in the area with the exception of those at the Allegro, Grand & Iberostar, and it's a good distance to the closest of them.

Sounds like you might like the flexibility of a smaller dive op. There are quite a few on the island and many are mentioned here on Scubaboard. We like to dive with Albatros Charters because it is a small and flexible dive operation. We have dove with them the for many years and have always been very happy. Their web page is Cozumel - Mexico - Albatros Charters.
Are you renting a car? It might get very expensive to taxi It town for dinner each night so I would recommend a car. We like Rentadora Isis for our car rental. For dinner, our favorite tacos are at El Pique on 30th and for a night out, Kinta on 5th. One of our favorite lunches is to stop at a rotisserie on 30th to pick up a chicken, its enough for 2 meals and delicious.
We have had friends stay out at those condos. They stop by Mega or Chedraui in town and pick up stuff for lunch breakfast and lunch as well as whatever they choose to drink a few times during their week. That way, they get to enjoy the great beach while not diving. Visiting them, we found that the beach is great but the entry to the water is a bit rocky, bring water shoes or wear your dive booties.
Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your trip!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom