Cozumel FAQ's - Weather, Water temps, Dive Operators, Taxis, and More

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've finally updated the FAQ page for everyone! I'm sure there are many other questions, so if anyone has an FAQ they'd like answered and added to this, let me know and I'll get it taken care of :) This will replace what is currently there as soon as a MOD moves it :)

The forecast says it's going to rain everyday, will I get to dive?

Rain does not close the port or cancel diving - wind does - you're going to get wet anyway.
• "Showers" is a very broad and SAFE prediction for the forecasters...they HAVE to make this prediction in the tropics. Like I said, it's a safe prediction.
• The forecast of rain simply means it might rain at some point somewhere on the island. ie: It may be raining in town, but bright and sunny at the reefs or vice versa OR it could be a light rain for 5 minutes OR it could be a heavy downpour for 30 minutes...get my point?
• If dives were cancelled every time there is rain somewhere on the island, we would rarely dive

Please don’t be overly concerned with the weather forecasts unless God forbid it says we have a hurricane headed straight for us...the rest of those forecasts are generic, unreliable, unpredictable and simply mean there is a CHANCE it might rain SOMEWHERE on the island at SOME point during the day for some undetermined period of time and it could be light or heavy.

What is the water temp in Cozumel?

The YEAR ROUND water temperature in Cozumel is consistently in the 78 – 84+/- range.

December - Feb: 78 - 80 +/-
March - May: 80 - 82 +/-
May - September: 82 - 84 +/- (occasionally can get in the 85/86 range...all computer variable anyway)
October - November: 80 – 82

Anyone have recommendations for a good Dive op in Cozumel?

There are 80ish dive ops on Cozumel depending on what day you look. You're sure to find one to match YOUR needs. There's is no ONE BEST operator for everyone. Decide what your budget and needs are and seek out an operator that matches your needs. Specific questions should be directed to the dive ops you are considering as only they can answer questions re: their policies and procedures. When price shopping, please make sure you are comparing apples to apples – all dive shops were not created equal and have different service offerings.

Think about what you want in a dive op: big boats with 15+ people vs. small fast boats with 6 – 8 divers max; steel tanks vs. aluminum tanks; full-time seasoned crew vs. perpetual freelancers; valet gear service vs. gear lockers or hauling your on gear; computer diving vs. pre-set bottom times; divers choice dive sites vs. a pre-set shop schedule; bottled water vs. fruit/snacks/bottled water vs. full lunch on board; beach intervals vs. boat intervals; extras such as towels, jackets, etc.

What are the best dive sites in Cozumel?

All dives in Cozumel truly are great dives! Additionally, MOST dive sites in Cozumel can be catered to any level diver - exceptions to this would be Maracaibo, Punta Sur/Devil's Throat, San Juan, and Barracuda – these dives are reserved for very experienced divers so one should not expect to be taken to these sites without having dove with their respective dive operation for at least two or three days for observation. Any operator that agrees to take you to these sites without knowing you as a diver (observing you in the water) should be crossed off your list.

Palancar is divided into several sections (Bricks, Horseshoe, Caves and Gardens) – all of which are breathtaking and are what made Cozumel diving so famous. Each of these dives can be catered to any level and can be dove from the top at 30 – 40 feet all the way down to recreational limits and beyond.

Some dive shops have pre-set dive site schedules, while others select dive sites on a daily basis determined by divers choice, conditions, experience level on the boat, etc. With that said, unless you are renting a private charter or have a group large enough to rule the boat, be prepared to speak up with your requests and/or go with the flow – dive site selection is usually a very democratic process all things considered.

There are several dive site lists as well as maps of the reefs available online. Here are just a few for reference:
Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico
Cozumel maps, cozumel diving, cozumel dive, diving cozumel, scuba diving cozumel
Map of Cozumel, Mexico, including beaches, dive sites

When is the best time of year to visit Cozumel?

Diving in Cozumel is a year round activity. High season (ie: more people and higher hotel rates) is late November through May.

Hurricane season is officially Late June through November.

"Norte" season which is when we have the possibility of a day or two sometimes three day port closure due to high winds. There is no sense in trying to plan a trip around this as these weather conditions can be as unpredictable as rain. The high winds can make navigating the boats difficult as well as being dangerous for getting on and off the boats. The harbor master makes this call and the dive ops have no control over his decision. They rarely last more than a day or two at a time.

What are your favorite restaurants in Cozumel?

There are many favorites, but I’ve taken the time to compile a list of my personal favorites as well as those that are really popular and that I feel good about recommending. See the STICKY thread of Christi’s restaurant list 

How much should I tip, and how are tips handled among the crew?

This is obviously a personal thing, but a good base rule of thumb is $5 to $8 per tank/per diver. In other words, if you do a 2-tank dive, an appropriate tip would be $10 to $15 for each diver. Most crews pool the tips, so no need to tip them each individually, unless you want to give something extra to one of them. In that case, you should specify that it is only for them. Check ith your individual dive operation for their specific tip management methods.

Tipping daily or at the end of the week is also a personal preference. Sometimes you will be with the same crew all week, but sometimes this isn't possible due to crew off days, turnover in divers, crew illness, etc. This is a question best directed to your dive operator. Here are two discussions on tipping in Cozumel.
Tipping on Cozumel - ScubaBoard
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/342984-tipping.html

Typically, tips must be paid in cash and cannot be added to your credit card bill. This is due to the way businesses are taxed as well as the high merchant fees for credit card transactions.

Can I use my credit cards in Cozumel?

Of course you can, but keep in mind that many places do not accept them, so make sure you have cash available or access to cash as well. No one (that I am aware of) on the island accepts Discover and very few accept AMEX, so do not be surprised. Establishments that DO accept credit cards will often apply a surcharge because the banks in Mexico charge outrageous merchant fees...this makes accepting credit cards for small businesses almost unrealistic. This is why you will find that many smaller restaurants and businesses just do not accept them.

Should I use dollars or pesos?

I DO NOT recommend converting dollars to pesos at the airport in the states before you get here...you will definitely get a lower exchange rate (i.e.: 9 pesos to the dollar vs. 10.7 pesos to the dollar). I do recommend changing some dollars to pesos once on the island however, as you will get a better exchange rate that way. Although everyone will take dollars, the exchange rate in most places is at a set rate, and it will always be higher then the banks and change house rates. For example, they will have a set rate of 10.5, when the real exchange rate is 10.35. On $100 that costs you an extra $1.50. While it may only be a few dollars here and there, that does add up over the week. So, it is always best to pay for your meals in pesos, hotel in pesos, and souvenirs in pesos. Most dive shops I know of, will give you the real exchange rate for whatever it is that day on the island.

There are change houses ALL over the place and they are almost all owned by the same person, so no need to shop around for a change house with the best rate...they are virtually all the same. The banks typically offer a slightly better rate than the change houses, but be prepared to stand in line forever. Still, the exchange rate is usually a point or two lower than the actual market rate on Wall Street.

Another tip is to purchase something with dollars at Mega or Chedraui (grocery stores) as they have the best exchange rates. They may have a limit as to how much they will exchange for you however.

Is it safe to use my ATM card?

There are also ATM machines ALL over the place and that is how you will actually get the best exchange rate, because it is YOUR bank setting the exchange rate, which will be the actual market rate for that day, again savings you a point or two on your dollar.

Most ATM machines have a $3000 pesos (currently $287.25 USD) transaction limit, but there is no limit to how many transactions you can make. Some banks (Banamex , Santander Serfin and Banorte) have $5000 pesos (currently $458.71 USD) transaction limits, again no limit on how many transactions you can make. So your maximum daily withdrawal limit is set by your bank, not by the bank machine in Mexico. You can always request that they increase your daily withdrawal limit for your trip and then change it back when you get home if you want.

One more thing about transaction fees for ATM's in Cozumel. Remember that they operate with pesos in mind and the $ sign is also the sign for pesos. So, when they ask you if you agree to the $7.50 transaction fee, that is 7.5 pesos, (78 cents). The most I have seen on any machine in Cozumel is $15 pesos ($1.56). YOUR bank in the US however may charge you an out of network transaction fee...for example Wells Fargo charge me $5.00 USD for every transaction. However, if I use my Bank of American ATM card at the Santander Serfin, I am only charged the $1.00 fee for the machine.

There are two ATM’s I am aware of that will dispense USD. One is at Banorte just off the main plaza across from Wet Wendy’s. The other is at HSBC in the main plaza.

Ferries from Cozumel to the mainland (Playa del Carmen) and back:

There are currently two passenger ferry companies that provide service between Cozumel island and the mainland; Ultramar and Mexico Water Jets/Aviomar. They typically run on alternating schedules every hour on the hour – except when they don’t! They are the same price ($280 pesos each way pp)and have the same style boats, UltraMar’s are a tad newer.

DO NOT buy a round trip ticket on either ferry. There is no benefit in this for you and you could end up having to wait to or three hours if your ferry is not running when you’re ready to cross.

Both have websites with schedules, but be forewarned, these schedules are not always accurate and they can change on very short notice – another reason not to buy a round trip ticket. If the timing is important, I highly recommend checking at the actual ferry terminal the night or morning before you intend to cross just to be aware of the current schedule.

UltraMar - ULTRAMAR
MX Water Jets - http://www.mexicowaterjets.com/eng/

I am a PADI/NAUI/SSI/SDI diver – will my certification be accepted at any shop?

Yes! The agency you ere certified through is virtually irrelevant, provided that you do hold at least an Open Water Diver card or equivalent. All agencies have virtually the same basic training standards and guidelines for conducting recreational dives. There is absolutely no reason to get hung up on hat affiliation a shop does or does not have – it’s all just marketing anyway!

Is Cenote/Cavern/Cave diving available on Cozumel?

Cozumel does have some underwater cave systems, but full cave certification is required for these. There are many cavern diving options on the mainland, and I do encourage everyone to give it a try at least once – provided that you’re not uncomfortable in an overhead environment. Check with your Cozumel dive shop to see if they offer trips to the mainland cenotes. If not, I am certain they can recommend someone who does. Pricing for this typically runs in the $100 - $150 range + your ferry trip.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Discussion of this FAQ can be found here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/344575-cozumel-faqs-discussion.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The taxi rates for the Cozumel taxi union changed effective September 1, 2016. Now, each taxi driver has a laminated rate card that he must carry and show to anyone asking the fare. It lists rides by zone, as well as some point-to-point fares, special trips, hourly rates, waiting time, etc..

The exchange rate established by the union is currently 18-1.

The 4 rate cards are shown below.

taxi 3.jpg

taxi 4.jpg

taxi  1.jpg
taxi 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom