Finding the best deal for El Presidente & Scuba Du in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAGELLAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to make arrangements for January, in Cozumel. I've heard good things about El Presidente Inter-Continental, but the best prices I can find for the hotel are around 200 bucks a night, ouch! Anybody have any advice on finding a better deal, maybe even combining the hotel with a dive package for Scuba Du, I checked their website but they don't mention the hotel.

Or... is there somewhere elese I should stay?:confused:

MAGELLAN once bubbled...
I'm trying to make arrangements for January, in Cozumel. I've heard good things about El Presidente Inter-Continental, but the best prices I can find for the hotel are around 200 bucks a night, ouch! Anybody have any advice on finding a better deal, maybe even combining the hotel with a dive package for Scuba Du, I checked their website but they don't mention the hotel.

Or... is there somewhere elese I should stay?:confused:

Try out Bay Adventures. http://www.bayadventures.com/ I've used them 3 times on my trips to Cozumel with no complaints. I've stayed at Brisas and dove with Dive Paradise. Nothing spectacular, but clean and close to the ocean.

El presidente is going to be pricey "in season" and deals are pretty rare. If you want to step down a bit in price, you might want to check out Brisas, Fiesta Americana, or Plaza Las Glorias. It was a few years ago when I was at Fiesta Americana, but the rooms were decent sized, nice pool, and okay food (mostly ate breakfast there). Brisas (last November) had similarly sized rooms, while Plaza Las Glorias had the biggest rooms, although overall wasn't as "fancy" a hotel. We were able to work "in season" package for all three, which helped hold down the cost.

sdwho

Definately talk to as many travel agents who book dive trips as you can but Bay Adventures mentioned earlier is probably as good as any. Also try Scuba Travel in CA.

El Pres is going to be about what you mentioned in season as that is the highest priced time. Unless you are really TRYING to spend more money I would suggest looking into a condo. We have stayed in several different units for about $150-$200 night and it will be much nicer than Pres.. Pres is the nicest facility on the island but that is not saying much for us Americans who are comparing it to other 5 star hotels. Its not. Don't spend the extra money unless you really know what your getting. Try the condo, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

http://cozumelhomes.net/Condos.html
http://www.cozumelcondos.com/
http://www.ownerdirect.com/cozumel/cozumel-1376/

Actually, we already made some reservations for a condo/one-room apartment type thing. $385/wk, It's just that it's in the city and not on the beach. So I was thinking about renting a car for the week (another $250, but no taxis :eek:ut: ). Unless, I could find a deal that made more sense, from what I read El Presidente sounds really nice, shore diving etc.

Just shopping for some ideas. What does everyone think about staying somewhere a few minutes from the beach?

Also, anybody heard good/bad things about EagleRay Divers?
:banana:

we stayed at the el presidente for $175/night through expedia.com. that was by far the cheapest i could find and it was not in january but rather in june. $200 sounds like a good deal for the el presidente. there are definitely cheaper options that are not too much of a compromise for most.

If you want to save money, try Plaza Las Glorias. We stayed there for 7 nights in May end. We paid something like $75/ngt (pretty darn good price).

PLG:
- closer to town, can walk for food, shopping, etc
- car not needed
- aqua safari is a good dive operator in the hotel with pier on the beach
- diver friendly hotel (showers, lockers)
- most DO will pick you up right from the hotel pier

El Pres:
- nice hotel...then again you already knew that
- closer to the "better" dive sites
- far from town...i mean faar. you have to have a car.

If I was to do the whole thing (I probably will too!), I'd go for a condo. Save some money on food that way.

Ask yourself this: when you're not diving what would you do? Being closer to the town has its advantages.

Hope the rambling helped!

Kedar

For what it is worth I dove with Eagle Ray Divers in June and I intend to us them in December. The boat was nothing special but great dive and I liked the personal attention .

Back
Top Bottom