Shore Diving Cozumel.. and critters.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azscubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Don't ever let anyone tell you there isn't anything to see while shore diving in Cozumel. I just spent 10 days at SCC. The boats were way to crowded for my taste (a very large dive club showed up with over 40 divers) so I stayed off the boats and did shore dives for 7 days. Here is a cumulation of what I found in an area about the size of basketball court, including an eel fighting with an octopus.

I posted a few of these before but finally got all processed and posted. I have some video to post yet but here are my photos.

All photos taken on day and night shore dives (except for east side Rasta bar shots).
All shots taken with a Canon G-12 in an Ikelite housing with D-161 strobes and Sola 600 focus light.

Hover over the right hand photo for a slide out menu to view large and original size shots.

Hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

Photos from my March-2011 trip to Cozumel

Very nice pics.

Too bad the boats were too crowded for you. Seems a shame to pay all that money for shore diving even as good as it was.

Beautiful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing. I think we're headed that way in June..which dive op was so crowded?
I'm pretty sure that if you stay at SCC, you dive with SCC. I sure hope the OP didn't go all the way to Cozumel and ONLY shore dive.

I'm pretty sure that if you stay at SCC, you dive with SCC. I sure hope the OP didn't go all the way to Cozumel and ONLY shore dive.

Yep, did one boat dive and it was mass divers (cause=Spring Break & SCC Dive Specials that had to be used up by 3/31). SCC was maxed out of rooms.. full to the brim and overflowing.

I've been to Cozumel many many times (first trip over 15 years ago) and have done most, if not all, of the dives. So being on one trip where it was crowded and opting out of the boat dives didn't bother me at all. I probably saw more and had more fun than the people on the boats.

So let's see.. Full boats with 20 plus divers bumping into each other or Shore dive 3-5 times a day where I had it all to myself from dawn to dark (with quiet time and snacks between dives). It wasn't a tough decision.. My money, my option.

Do you have to stay at SCC to do the shore dive? We are staying elsewhere but may want to try something different for a shore dive. Thanks!

I have to agree that the shore diving options at SCC were as good as or better than the boat dives as far as seeing creatures. It's not for everyone as the scenery is rather "blah" but it sure is packed with smaller creatures and little to no current. I did a similar trip back in 2009. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/283937-trip-report-shore-diving-scuba-club-cozumel.html

The boat rides felt more like a ride than a dive sometimes, which is to some folks liking. Having said that, I would have done a few boat dives, all the same. Respect your choice to take advantage of the quiet times when everyone else was on the boat. It actually amazes me that I talked to folks there that were only interested in the boat dives.

I have to agree that the shore diving options at SCC were as good as or better than the boat dives as far as seeing creatures. It's not for everyone as the scenery is rather "blah" but it sure is packed with smaller creatures and little to no current.

The boat rides felt more like a ride than a dive sometimes, which is to some folks liking. Having said that, I would have done a few boat dives, all the same. Respect your choice to take advantage of the quiet times when everyone else was on the boat. It actually amazes me that I talked to folks there that were only interested in the boat dives.

It was just the luck of the draw that is was so full. Very quiet and peaceful on Friday and then over 40 divers plus non divers showed up from one club. Not a problem, it happens. I've also been there when it was hard to get 6 divers to fill one of the small boats.. now that's heaven.

It seems to me a lot of divers show up and hit the shore dive for their checkout (equipment check) dive and then just dive the boats for the rest of the week. SCC offers some short packages (3 or 5 day) so I understand people wanting to hit the boats for their stay to see the reefs.

I had some new camera gear to test out so I didn't mind a bit, it was another great trip with many more planned for the future.

Back
Top Bottom