Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Shore Diving Cozumel.. and critters.

Registered

- Master Scuba Diver

Dives
    500 - 999

Shore Diving Cozumel.. and critters.

Don't ever let anyone tell you there isn't anything to see while shore diving in Cozumel. I just spent 10 days at SCC. The boats were way to crowded for my taste (a very large dive club showed up with over 40 divers) so I stayed off the boats and did shore dives for 7 days. Here is a cumulation of what I found in an area about the size of basketball court, including an eel fighting with an octopus.

I posted a few of these before but finally got all processed and posted. I have some video to post yet but here are my photos.

All photos taken on day and night shore dives (except for east side Rasta bar shots).
    All shots taken with a Canon G-12 in an Ikelite housing with D-161 strobes and Sola 600 focus light.

Hover over the right hand photo for a slide out menu to view large and original size shots.

Hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

Photos from my March-2011 trip to Cozumel
    Chris
    Prescott, Arizona ...............Click here to visit my web site

I'm home now, DRAT !! ... but not for long

Frequent Poster

hasn't set a status.

Great shot's thanks for sharing.. A G-12 is on my wish list this year......

Registered

in my own little world

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Very nice pics.

Too bad the boats were too crowded for you. Seems a shame to pay all that money for shore diving even as good as it was.
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    (In other words, no whining!)

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Registered

Counting down to seeing
    my grandbaby in FL !

Dives
    25 - 49
    Beautiful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing. I think we're headed that way in June..which dive op was so crowded?

Registered

is watching the calendar pages
    flip until May

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by fab50diver View Post
    Beautiful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing. I think we're headed that way in June..which dive op was so crowded?
    I'm pretty sure that if you stay at SCC, you dive with SCC. I sure hope the OP didn't go all the way to Cozumel and ONLY shore dive.
    Gordon in Austin

My Band
    My next CZM trip: Aril, 2014

Registered

- Master Scuba Diver

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you stay at SCC, you dive with SCC. I sure hope the OP didn't go all the way to Cozumel and ONLY shore dive.
    Yep, did one boat dive and it was mass divers (cause=Spring Break & SCC Dive Specials that had to be used up by 3/31). SCC was maxed out of rooms.. full to the brim and overflowing.

I've been to Cozumel many many times (first trip over 15 years ago) and have done most, if not all, of the dives. So being on one trip where it was crowded and opting out of the boat dives didn't bother me at all. I probably saw more and had more fun than the people on the boats.

So let's see.. Full boats with 20 plus divers bumping into each other or Shore dive 3-5 times a day where I had it all to myself from dawn to dark (with quiet time and snacks between dives). It wasn't a tough decision.. My money, my option.
    Chris

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Do you have to stay at SCC to do the shore dive? We are staying elsewhere but may want to try something different for a shore dive. Thanks!

Registered

wishes he was under water

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I have to agree that the shore diving options at SCC were as good as or better than the boat dives as far as seeing creatures. It's not for everyone as the scenery is rather "blah" but it sure is packed with smaller creatures and little to no current. I did a similar trip back in 2009. Trip Report: Shore diving at Scuba Club Cozumel

The boat rides felt more like a ride than a dive sometimes, which is to some folks liking. Having said that, I would have done a few boat dives, all the same. Respect your choice to take advantage of the quiet times when everyone else was on the boat. It actually amazes me that I talked to folks there that were only interested in the boat dives.

Registered

- Master Scuba Diver

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by under water View Post
    I have to agree that the shore diving options at SCC were as good as or better than the boat dives as far as seeing creatures. It's not for everyone as the scenery is rather "blah" but it sure is packed with smaller creatures and little to no current.

The boat rides felt more like a ride than a dive sometimes, which is to some folks liking. Having said that, I would have done a few boat dives, all the same. Respect your choice to take advantage of the quiet times when everyone else was on the boat. It actually amazes me that I talked to folks there that were only interested in the boat dives.
    It was just the luck of the draw that is was so full. Very quiet and peaceful on Friday and then over 40 divers plus non divers showed up from one club. Not a problem, it happens. I've also been there when it was hard to get 6 divers to fill one of the small boats.. now that's heaven.

It seems to me a lot of divers show up and hit the shore dive for their checkout (equipment check) dive and then just dive the boats for the rest of the week. SCC offers some short packages (3 or 5 day) so I understand people wanting to hit the boats for their stay to see the reefs.

I had some new camera gear to test out so I didn't mind a bit, it was another great trip with many more planned for the future.
    Chris

Registered

- Master Scuba Diver

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by Nursediver View Post
    Do you have to stay at SCC to do the shore dive? We are staying elsewhere but may want to try something different for a shore dive. Thanks!
    Hi,

Not sure, drop them an email and I'm sure you will get a quick reply.
    Chris

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast