Cozumel Dive Shop and Accommodations- Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melheide

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a buddy getting married in Riviera Maya (between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum) in May. I am thinking about heading down 3 days early and doing some diving in Cozumel.

Does anybody have any contact info of dive shops or guides that would be willing to take me a little off the beaten path and will also treat me fairly on price? I want to do 3-4dives per day (2 morning/afternoon and 1or 2 night dives) for 2 or 3 days.

I am very comfortable in the water and am open to doing just about any type of dive. I may never dive Cozumel again so I want to try and see some of the more unique places.

Also, any recommendations on lodging?

Any advice is deeply appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a buddy getting married in Riviera Maya (between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum) in May. I am thinking about heading down 3 days early and doing some diving in Cozumel.

Does anybody have any contact info of dive shops or guides that would be willing to take me a little off the beaten path and will also treat me fairly on price? I want to do 3-4dives per day (2 morning/afternoon and 1or 2 night dives) for 2 or 3 days.

I am very comfortable in the water and am open to doing just about any type of dive. I may never dive Cozumel again so I want to try and see some of the more unique places.

Also, any recommendations on lodging?

Any advice is deeply appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mel
Understand that you are coming into a Cozumel dive forum and asking... what? To be taken where the rest of us can't/don't go? There is no "beaten path". If you come over from PdC for a couple of days, unknown to the dive op you go out with, they won't take you to advanced sites. Until they dive with you a bit to see how you are in the water, no matter what is on your cert card, they will be conservative with you. There are lots of so-called "advanced divers" who have 10-15 dives under their belts.

If you've never been to Cozumel before, any dive you go on will knock your socks off.

There is no best dive op, and there is no best dive site.

I would reccomend a stay & dive place like Scuba Club Cozumel, Casa Del Mar or Caribe Blu etc. If you are taking the approach that you may never make it back, do the 4 a day + 1-2 night dives. :)

If you are going to dive that much, I would HIGHLY reccomend nitrox on dives 2, 4 and night dive!!!!

Suba Club Cozumel might be your best bet as they cater to divers solely and do lots of dives/day with dock 20' from your room.

Contact Opal or Mau at Scuba Mau Cozumel and they will accommodate quite well. They can get you a cheap clean hotel close to the shop and get you diving where you want to go. Also the shore dives are free. Not exactly the most exciting shore dives but fun at night.
If you know how to use a sling or speargun they will run you north to hunt, no extra charge. Also when you go to southern sites there is no extra charges. You will enjoy the great fun that always happens at scubamau.

I couldn't help but notice you've been diving four years, you have 25-49 dives?
Closer to 25 or 49? Just curious?
Your coming three days early, three to four dives a day, for three days? When are you flying out?
All the diving in Cozumel is decent to awesome, and we all have or favorite shops.
If you want the very best try Scuba-Du. Hope you have a great stay.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 54
The best diving in Cozumel is right on the beaten path. Try Scuba Mau as others have suggested. They can also match accomodations to your preference.

Have fun.

Does anybody have any contact info of dive shops or guides that would be willing to take me a little off the beaten path and will also treat me fairly on price? Mel

I'm not sure what you mean by "fairly". Not tell you one price then charge you more later? Or who is the cheapest?

Dive op prices range between $55-$100 US for a 2 tank dive. The variation is due to such factors as type of tanks (large steel 120s vs aluminum 80s), condition and size of the boat, condition of rental gear, length of time spent underwater/time restrictions, amenities on the boat (food, snacks, jackets, towels, water, camera buckets), pick-ups, freedom (or lack of it) for divers to choose dive sites, gear/wetsuit rinsing, storage and cleaning. Etc. etc. etc.

Could you outline in a bit more detail what sort of things you hope for in a dive op and then we might be able to match a bit more closely. There are about 100 (give or take) dive shops on the island and the chances are very high that many of them will more than meet your expectations.

Understand that you are coming into a Cozumel dive forum and asking... what? To be taken where the rest of us can't/don't go? There is no "beaten path". If you come over from PdC for a couple of days, unknown to the dive op you go out with, they won't take you to advanced sites. Until they dive with you a bit to see how you are in the water, no matter what is on your cert card, they will be conservative with you. There are lots of so-called "advanced divers" who have 10-15 dives under their belts.

If you've never been to Cozumel before, any dive you go on will knock your socks off.

There is no best dive op, and there is no best dive site.

Totally agree!! The reason most of us keep coming back to Coz is because even regular dives "on the beaten path" are breathtaking and certainly if you have never dived Coz before and never will again sites like Santa Rosa (or any of the others) cant be beaten!! Also agree that some of the most challenging diving is to be had at the north and south ends of the island and no responsible dive op will take you there unless they have observed you at least for a couple of days. When it comes to value, flexibility and just a great group of people I think Scuba Mau are tops but without starting a cheerleading thread it is very difficult to find a dive op in Coz that will not give you an amazing time! Have fun and join the rest of us Shleppers on the beaten path

hi,

as an instructor in Cozumel I can tell you that there are diferent choices in boats and accomodations.

all diveshops will take you about the same divesites, there´s is not "off the beaten track" really, as diving here is absolutely breath taking.

on a two tank dive, you will be taken to a deeper reef like Palancar or Santa Rosa wall, with a shallower dive for your second dive.

there are a couple of more challengung dives (devil´s throat and barracuda come to mind) because of depth and courrents. you can expect to pay a bit more for these ones, and some shops ask for an advanced certification.

up to here is more or less the same. diferent boats atract diferent ppl, there are basically two kinds of boats: the big boats, with a head and more space tend to be slower, compared to the faster smaller boats, that in exchange for speed you trade some comfort. its your call.

you can choose a hotel with in house dive shop, or stay at a hotel and use one of the many diveshops around.

places that I pesrsonally know and would recomend are scuba club cozumel and casa del mar-del mar aquatics.

if you have any questions I´d be hapy to help, you can email me at alexunderpressure@hotmail.com

I have used Blue Angel for years in Cozumel. Jorge is a great divemaster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom