Missing Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not good if true. Hope it's just a rumor but if not hopefully things will work out.

A news brief by a writer for the paper Novedades, released at 2:14pm this afternoon, states that one diver was reported missing in the marine park around 11:30 this morning. The Port Captain's office and the Navy are involved in the search. No other details were known.
Source: Reportan desaparicion de un buzo en Cozumel - Grupo SIPSE, sipse.com

There appears to be something to the rumor, I called a couple of our Captains and heard from them they overheard something about a missing diver (1) in the Santa Rosa area, and that there were Navy boats around there later. If I confirm any other info I will post.

Yes it is true. I was diving at Santa Rosa when the accident happened. My boat was not the one involved with the diver. When I surfaced, I was told that a diver is missing, we searched for an hour and a half. There were a lot of boats in the area doing a surface search as well. The navy came in around 1:30 and was still there when we left at 3pm.....not good. From what I was told, the diver s? surfaced and then went back down?? There are conflicting reports of 1 diver or 2? It is definately not a good day.....

Not sure what a cattleboat has to do with it at this point but I do hope the ending is a happy one.

Exactly. Accidents can happen if there is 3 divers or 12. Today we had a large group, and used 2 divemasters ( 1 in front , 1 in back) just for increased safety for the divers. It works for us , maybe not others. Whether or not the dive accident could have been prevented by the divemaster, it all boils down to the diver themselves. Please be confident in your skills in the water and practice often. If you are unsure of your abilities, hire a private DM for a few days and hone your skills. Accidents can happen in deep water or shallow water....

Not sure what a cattleboat has to do with it at this point but I do hope the ending is a happy one.

I only included cattleboat in the post, because it was an identifying feature of who was supposedly involved. Had my info said six pack, I would have said that. So yes there was a point to saying that.

Thanks Deb for the local update.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom