URGENT Update from ScubaMau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JenLoves2Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello All.
This is an update and request for help from Scuba Mau.
I just want everyone to know that the following letter was written on behalf of our friends and family at Scuba Mau and the families and loved ones of Opal, Gabi and Heath.
Everyone, Opal's mom, her brothers, Gabi and Heath and the management of the dive shop have all approved the letter.
Thank for letting me relay it to you all.
Jen

To all the friends of Opal Cohn Torelli, Gabriel Silva (Gabi Loco) of ScubaMau and Heath Hood.

We want to thank all of you for your calls, thoughts and prayers for Opal and Gabi and Heath during this very difficult time.

Many of you in the dive community may already be aware of the serious dive accident that took place on Saturday, September 3rd in Cozumel, involving Opal, Gabi Loco and Heath Hood. The accident resulted in serious decompression injuries for all three and the most gravely injured was Opal.

Currently, Opal is in intensive critical care at San Miguel Hospital and is paralyzed and sedated, unable to breathe on her own, and is intubated and breathing via a ventilator. Because Opal did not have any type of insurance, costs are quickly mounting and her medical care here in Cozumel is very limited.

Most urgently, Opal needs to be transferred to a hospital in the U.S. in the next 12 – 48 hours. Because she has been intubated for the last 5 days, it will be medically necessary to move her immediately to a facility that can perform a tracheotomy, as the intubation is becoming increasingly unstable and her life is at serious risk.

Divemaster Gabi Loco, is also in very serious condition and at this report is unable to walk and has no movement in his legs. Our dear friend, Gabi is the father of three and is unable to work. He also does not have insurance and needs hyperbaric treatments for the next 2-3 months and physical therapy to be able to walk again. Fortunately for Health, he has full coverage health care and D.A.N. insurance that will fully cover his expenses.

We have set up a Pay Pal accounts for Opal and Gabi and ALL donations raised will go directly to all their medical expenses including the hyperbaric chamber expenses, hospital bills, doctor bills, and transportation costs. Additionally, the cost to move Opal to a U.S. hospital is approximately $20,000 USD.
PLEASE…time is of the essence. Please donate any amount to help toward these staggering medical costs. Right now, it is URGENT that Opal be moved to a U.S. facility as soon as possible. She is becoming increasingly unstable and time is of the essence.

We have set up two Pay Pal accounts for the benefit of Opal and Gabi.
For OPAL please donate to: MedicalCare4Opal@gmail.com
For Gabi please donate to: MedicalCare4Gabi@gmail.com.

We are saddened and devastated by what has happened to our very dear friends and are asking you to please help us help them. Please forward this on to your friends and family in the dive community.

We area a strong but resilient community, yet, words cannot express enough from the families of Opal, Gabi and Heath their deepest appreciation. We will continue to update everyone here and also on ScubaMau Facebook page. Please feel free to post from your heart.

PLEASE keep them in your prayers!

With much love,

Scuba Mau

Last edited:
Sent... for both..
Godspeed to all three, for their full and complete recovery...

Could somebody please tell me who Jennifer is; this name shows up as the person receiving the funds on Paypal...?
Jennifer will receive:
Is this JenLoves2Dive? Not sure as she said she only presented the letter.... I am ready to send some money but feel somewhat uneasy in this type of situation and especially when I am sending more than a few token dollars... Disappointed that dive professionals did not have insurance but that is another thread... Please, please, PLEASE let that be another thread...!

I mean no disrespect, lee

I'm new to this board, but have been watching this. I'm Oceanfreak on Trip Advisor and I'm on Facebook. Jen is on the up an up. This isn't a scam.

I don't know Opal, Gabi or Heath, but know of ScubaMau. I dive with Scuba Du and I'll be making a donation myself. It doesn't matter who we dive with, these people need urgent help.
Just thought I would throw this in for what it's worth!

Pat H.

Good enough for me, Mau, I remember how well you took care of me when I needed it. I'll try to help a bit now., thoughts and prayers for all of you along with something a bit more practical. Will be sent tomorrow. Thanks again for all you do. Jay

Jen who wrote the letter on behalf of the families is yes JenLoves2Dive & has set up the paypal accounts on the families behalf.
Jen is a very close dear friend of Opal's as well as of Gabi, Heath, the ScubaMau team, Opal's family & many of us locals here on the Island. She's one special lovin' caring beautiful lady and Opal's family, Gabi & his family and all of us, are ultimately grateful for her greatly needed assistance in these difficult times.

I spent the evening with Opal's family & friends including Jennifer and can assure everyone this posting is legit & Jen is one of the most trustworthy people around.
I actually had the opportuntity of reading the letter myself a few hours ago, while we were all together, before Jen went home to post it.

Donations are greatly needed at this point as the bills are exuberant & there will be more medical costs to cover as time passes for both Opal & Gabi.

Opal's family, Gabi & family, Heath, and all their extented families sincerely appreciate everyone's support, love & prayers and everyone's contribution to help them recover from this tragic accident.

:heart: Our abundant prayers are with them all :heart:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom