Tips for Coz drift diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
I am going to Cozumel Nov 15-22 for the first time. I just became certified in September, and managed to get 14 dives logged at Dutch Springs so far.

Since I'm new to diving, is there any advice anyone can share about drift diving? Will it be a simple adjustment? Are there things I need to look out for? Or is it simple and pleasant?

My two friends I'm going with are both Dive Masters, so I'm not worried at all. I'm just wondering what I should expect. I like to be ready.

Thanks.

I also got certified at Dutch Springs in November 2000. It snowed on my 4th cert. dive.

You'll love the warm waters and 100' vis. of Cozumel. Drift diving is fun. Just keep in mind that because of the current, your group may spread out a bit.

If you want to slow down your drift:

the current is weaker down near the reef
duck behind a rock or coral structure
stick you knife in the sand

No worries. You are gonna love it. Its as easy as falling off a horse.

First: This is not from ktapp, it's from tssplash. I'm using his computer today.

Drift Diving is quite a bit different than regular anchored boat diving. From start to finish it's an entirely different type of diving, and not to be considered easy in any respect by a new diver. There are certain things you must know in order to be safe. I suggest that if you are planning on becoming an Advanced Diver anyhow, that you go ahead and purchase the AOW Diver's manual (PADI's is one good one). Study the Drift diving, and Boat diving sections. With excellent diagrams, and detailed information on very important what-to-dos, what-to-knows, and how-tos this will give you a good idea of what to expect on a Drift dive.

Note: I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway by saying this, but be informed that alot of Dive Operators will not allow an OW diver to make Drift Dives. Since you are diving with two DM's it might make a difference, but it would be wise (if you haven't already) to make sure that that's not going to be a problem with the Operator you plan to go with.

Drift Diving especially for the first time is a wonderful experience. Educate yourself thoroughly before going, practice the skills needed, have the equipment required with you instead of being forced to buy it there, and know how to use it. and I'm sure you'll have a fun, safe dive.

"Splash"

P.S. I'll be there during that time as well. See ya there!

2bar,

Are you comfortable and relaxed in the water? Are you certain of your weighting? Can you easily control your buoyancy? Even at depth?
If you answered "yes" to the above, I wouldn't worry too much about the drift diving in Coz, according to my recent experience there. The most important factors that come to the top of my head are your ability to get down quickly (i.e. equalize successfully) and buoyancy control. These will enable you to stay with the group you're diving with--the key factor in a safe and successful drift dive. If it takes you a long time to descend, you may find yourself separated almost immediately from your group. Also, you need to be able to adjust your depth as your no-deco time elapses, all while being swept along at, possibly, a pretty good clip. Finally, that buoyancy and weighting control are very important while doing a drifting safety stop. It's pretty easy to pop up to the surface from 10 or 15 feet if you're not in control or paying attention. A good number of Coz dives involve some depth, so safety stops are more a necessity than a luxury. You may want to "overweight" yourself by no more than a couple of pounds as an extra cushion, .
Remember, too, that if you want to ease up on your exposure to current, stay closer to the bottom (obviously, if your computer and the group's profile allow) and/or close to reefs or walls.
All that having been said, drift diving is a wonderful, liberating experience, especially in Coz's ultra-clear water: like soaring through the skies and all without having to worry about navigating back to the boat! Enjoy, but dive safely!

ktapp once bubbled...
First: This is not from ktapp, it's from tssplash. I'm using his computer today.

Note: I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway by saying this, but be informed that alot of Dive Operators will not allow an OW diver to make Drift Dives.

I have never even once heard of this happening anywhere on Cozumel, except maybe for the advanced reef dives (Punta Sur, Maracaibo, Barracuda, etc.). Virtually all the boat dives off Cozumel are drift dives; I've never seen or experienced diving there from a moored boat. Tons of folks that go on these dives have only OW certs.

My first dives after certification were Cozumel drift dives, and I adjusted to it easily. You'll never find a better illustration of the phrase "go with the flow".

The first few dives, you will probably use up your air pretty quickly, because you will fight the current. Pretty soon, though, you'll learn to relax and use the current as your primary propulsion, and you will love it.

Buoyancy control will be your paramount concern, especially on wall dives when there is nothing below you but the Abyss, but also in swimthoughs and when you are near fragile coral formations. Start out a little overweighted.

And enjoy! There's nothing like it!

I did my first drift dive there in Aug. I found it to be an easy adjustment. We hired a private DM for our first 2 dives, just in case we ran into any problems, which we didn't. Since your 2 friends are DMs, I am sure you will be fine. At times the current was strong and we did find ourselves getting separated from the group, but usually didn't end up too far from everyone. You can't really fight the current, but if you stay low and dig into the sand
you can stop for a moment. Keep an eye on your gagdes when you are doing your safety stop. It was very easy to go from 15ft.
to 10ft. very quickly. I had an amazing time diving in Cozumel.
Best diving I have ever done. Have a great time!

for the comment about operators not allowing OW divers to do drift dives. This may be applicable in some places but not Cozumel since most, if not all, the dives in Coz are drift dives. I actually did my open water check-out dives in Cozumel, from a boat, so I started out drift diving. And then I was hooked! :)

I also have to comment that you don't necessarily lose your group if you can't get down right away. I have difficulty equalizing due to scar tissue in my eustachian tubes, and so I generally take longer to descend. I inform the DM as we're riding out to the site to let him know of my problem, I take my time and drift above the group, with the DM keeping an eye on me, until I can get down. I have dove in Coz 6 times (and counting--17 more days to my Thanksgiving trip!) and have never lost my group as a result of my inability to descend quickly.

Drift diving can take some getting used to though--your inclination will be to kick too much and use your arms to keep your balance. You'll probably start out trying to fight the current, to maintain some sort of control. Don't do ANY of this! As soon as you hit the water, get yourself ready, take a deep breath and start your descent when the DM signals everyone. Focus on breathing normally, relax and try to move your body as little as possible. If you kick and the current is strong, you will end up WAY ahead of your group before you know it. Stay behind the DM during the dive--don't get ahead of the group.

Since you're diving with 2 DM's, you'll be better off than some, but that doesn't mean you're invulnerable. YOU are ultimately responsible for your own safety. Listen closely to the dive briefing, go over emergency procedures especially if you run into a downswell (not common but it can happen and you need to know how to handle it) and watch the other divers and the DM leading the dive. As the others have said, pay close attention to your buoyancy, especially once you get on top of the reef or if you're doing a wall--check your depth gauge often and watch your time. And you will always need to do a safety stop--if you have difficulty hovering at 15 feet, take a safety float or something to help you stay at a consistent depth during the safety stop. Sometimes the DM will have one--ask.

Drift diving can be effortless and very relaxing but don't take it for granted--accidents can always happen but the better prepared you are, the better you'll be able to handle whatever happens. You are going to love drift diving and the clear, warm blue water--have a great time! :)

My suggestion that 2bar check with the Operator to make sure he would be allowed on the boat is a wise one. I've seen OW Divers turned away from boats on numerous occasions, and Cozumel is no exception. The currents there can be very dangerous even for the most experienced divers. Not only will some Dive Operators require AOW, or higher for certain trips, but they'll check logbooks, and ask questions to evaluate your knowledge as well. More importantly most all will evaluate your skill level by watching how you dive on the first couple of dives/days in order to asess what your capabilities are. As a rule most operate on the principle that the site will be chosen by considering the capabilities of the weakest diver/divers in the group. Ask any Dive Operator anywhere, and I'm certain that most will attest to that.

2bar said that he would be diving with 2 DM's. Since he didn't mention an Instructor I must assume that it's NOT a class that he's participating in, and that the DMs would be his dive BUDDIES. If this is the case, and his buddies for example decide to dive the Devil's throat, or another of the many challenging dive sites in Cozumel. (see post about Devil's throat for details), then 2bar would most likely not be able to do that trip. I've seen the disappointment on the faces of many OW Divers that did not know this before arriving for a boat dive. Just because he's with 2 DM's might not make a difference. That will largely depend on the particular Operator they've decided to use. Some Operators might, but most probably wouldn't allow it unless maybe they were very familiar with the DM's.

This being said, yes it's a well known fact that there are alot of Dive Operators not only in Cozumel, but throughout the world that cater exclusively to experienced diver's only. That's no big secret. Experienced divers like this obviously because their limitations for choosing dive sites are minimal. It's also better for other reasons such as not having to ascend by groups, more bottom time, less complications with descents, more freedom to explore etc.....not to mention the Advanced Divers who prefer to use Nitrox, doubles etc..... It would be easy for an OW Diver to book a trip through one of these Operators withing a group of Experienced Divers and not realize the consequences. It's also easy sometimes as an Experienced Diver to overlook things like this.

2bar may already know that he'll be allowed on the boat. If he does, great! I'm sure he'll have a great time. But if he didn't know this (and you might be surprised at the amount of OW divers who arrive at their dive boats for their first trip out not knowing) then it might have saved him a great deal of disappointment, money, and undue stress to know this before he leaves for his trip. This way he might be able to plan accordingly. This is what makes boards like this great. A wealth of valuable information, and Divers helping each other. I wish I had the internet when I started diving.

We were all new once, and as Experienced divers we should never assume that new divers know what we know. After all we are all beginners compared to someone. Sometimes little bits of information like this can help another diver a great deal.

Have a great time 2bar, and maybe I'll see you down there.

"Splash"

ktapp once bubbled...
I've seen OW Divers turned away from boats on numerous occasions, and Cozumel is no exception. The currents there can be very dangerous even for the most experienced divers. Not only will some Dive Operators require AOW, or higher for certain trips, but they'll check logbooks, and ask questions to evaluate your knowledge as well. More importantly most all will evaluate your skill level by watching how you dive on the first couple of dives/days in order to asess what your capabilities are. As a rule most operate on the principle that the site will be chosen by considering the capabilities of the weakest diver/divers in the group.

I have been to Cozumel a half dozen times and always dove with Aldora. They are about as conservative as they come. They definitely want to check you out the first day but they have never required an AOW or checked logbooks for any dive. If they don't think you are competent they don't take you to the more advanced dive sites. I have dove the advanced dive sites in Cozumel and I do not think I would characterize them as "dangerous even for the most experienced divers" even when the current is ripping. I have been diving in the Caribbean for over ten years (100+ dives) and have never been denied a dive based upon AOW or logbook. As far as I know that only happens on charters or in the USA. Just MHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom