Fins for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This will be my first trip to Cozumel and I was wondering which fins will be more appropriate for diving there..jet or split..help me with your experiences over there..

Based on airline weight restrictions I would take the lightest pair. Most of the diving is drift diving and you do not need to fin very much anyway.

For the most part, I think water is water and fins is fins so take what you have.

If you have more than one pair, I'm with grf88 - take whatever is most packable. When I realized that all my family's diving is in Cozumel, we went with full-foot Cressi Pro Star fins. They were nice and light, have a big blade for those times we need to swim against the current (or two weeks ago when there was very little current and my whole family just stayed in place bewildered by the fact we weren't going anywhere until we remembered that sometimes you have to kick).

Thus, my official answer is "neither jet nor split", but only if you have that option without going to extra expense or hassle.

I am a bigger person so splits do nothing for me. I use slipstreams which are like jets and would use nothing else here. (or anywhere for that matter) Works for the SEALS works of me.
You do drift a lot here but sometimes you need to get into a spot and you need to move.
Also great for turtle kick in a swim through.

Split fins are not very effective against the current if you are like me and need to stop and take pictures. I use a mares blade fin. However, weight and bulk is also an issue so fins like the Hollis F-1 may not be a good choice that way. Im gonna drag my old beat up Mares Quattro fins down this trip.

This will be my first trip to Cozumel and I was wondering which fins will be more appropriate for diving there..jet or split..help me with your experiences over there..

With Jet fins you need to know the optimal way to kick them....in which case they will be good anywhere. With Split fins a diver with no kicking skill whatever, can thrash them around, and move "ok" as long as they don't need to go sideways to, or against a current.

I would say get an instructor to work with you on optimal propulsion with Jets....or, get Freedive fins if you really want ease in a drift current, but know they are NOT for penetrating wrecks. If you were to take freedive fins, you put them diagonally in a large size suitcase with your clothing.
Best are DiveR composite blades, but they are not cheap. Cressi Gara 300 LD are good for most divers who have never used freedive blades before...the DiveR's require kicking skills much like the Jetfins, plue the DiveR's will also stess weak ankles ( you have to gradually build up duration of dives with them).

Based on airline weight restrictions I would take the lightest pair. Most of the diving is drift diving and you do not need to fin very much anyway.

YUP..... take the lightest pair, and don't kick much, just drift with the other divers. The only time I every really kick is to stay still against the current to shoot video or photo.

robin

I am a bigger person so splits do nothing for me.

I realize this is the basis for holy wars, but I don't think split fins permit optimal maneuverability. For one thing, it's pretty difficult to fin backwards with them.

Also great for turtle kick in a swim through.

What the heck is a "turtle kick"? I usually use a modified frog kick where there's a risk of stirring up silt and usually use a frog kick the rest of the time.

cats-prepare-to-battle-the-dogs-for-rights-to-a-s-8185-1259300822-4.jpg

This is me with my helmet on ready for a fin war that could erupt at any second.....

Even though Cozumel is drift diving and the general idea for lack of a better description is "go with the flow" I still prefer fins with lots of power. I usually use Jetfins (non-split variety) or OMS Slipstreams

I'd prefer to have the power available if needed to fight a current or hold my place in the current without having to resort holding onto something.

If you're doing any caverns/caves, I would also prefer a more rigid fin. This has an added bonus of only bringing one set of fins.

With that being said, I am not a split fin user so I am a bit biased but I do see a large percentage of divers in Cozumel with split fins on every trip and they all appear to make it back to the boat just fine so your mileage may vary.

Whichever your preference but I prefer to use jets or my slipstreams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom