Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Fins for Cozumel

Registered

cultural infidel

Dives
    200 - 499
    Sorry my bad my friends and I were giving someone a hard time about thier kicking style and made up a name for it which was the turtle and now it is stuck in my mind. I meant frog kick.

What the heck is a "turtle kick"? I usually use a modified frog kick where there's a risk of stirring up silt and usually use a frog kick the rest of the time.[/QUOTE]
    The sea once it cast its spell holds one in its net of wonder forever.
    Jacques Cousteau

Registered

Waiting for the next dive...

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Dang...You sure he doesnt have a huge wedgie?

Solo Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I used splits for a few years as I GOT sucked into advertizing while in need. I did learn to frog kick and back up and used them in the caves, much to a lot of jeers. I got caught north island diving trying to keep up and I just got exhausted. I was lent some Jets the next dive and I was totally loving my dive. The strength in my blading and maneuvers was a great feeling. I was now hooked on blades. Sold my splits to a friend that loves them. I then bought Force fins, my new love of open water diving gear. They are second to none for me. However when in the caves I do wear my Jets. I don't like the jeering. Maybe that's what they call 'going to the dark side.' lol. ps. I can walk in the Force Fins and I don't look like I pooped my pants. hahahahaha, great video capture.
    In judging others a man labours to no purpose, commonly errs, and easily sins, but in examining himself, he is always wisely and usefully employed. Thomas A Kempis
    [countdown=06/12/2011 12:30 AM]Count down:[/countdown]until Kev's on Coz
    [countdown=2/12/2011 12:45 AM]Count down:[/countdown]until Kev hits Coz again

Solo Diver

has totally awesome status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by firstdive2005 View Post
    I used splits for a few years as I GOT sucked into advertizing while in need. I did learn to frog kick and back up and used them in the caves, much to a lot of jeers. I got caught north island diving trying to keep up and I just got exhausted. I was lent some Jets the next dive and I was totally loving my dive. The strength in my blading and maneuvers was a great feeling. I was now hooked on blades. Sold my splits to a friend that loves them. I then bought Force fins, my new love of open water diving gear. They are second to none for me. However when in the caves I do wear my Jets. I don't like the jeering. Maybe that's what they call 'going to the dark side.' lol. ps. I can walk in the Force Fins and I don't look like I pooped my pants. hahahahaha, great video capture.
    I have big feet (13 EEE). I'd really just love to do a barefoot dive in Coz someday. Fins are so confining!

Registered

www.diveduino.com

Dives
    50 - 99
    thanks for the input guys and the debate xd.... i guess i will be fine...

Registered

Veteran diver

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I've used nothing but ScubaPRO Jet fins for 30 years. they work great for every one of my MANY varieties of kicks and of course have the power to pull a water skiier...(well, that's what the advertisements used to say )

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

is back in Coz. Viva Mexico!

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossman View Post
    I have big feet (13 EEE). I'd really just love to do a barefoot dive in Coz someday. Fins are so confining!

Sure.... You have big feet....
    In the air to Cozumel in (imagine a counter counting down to September 15th.)

Casa De Jefe, Your Home in Cozumel

Registered

is a Scuba Cowboy

Dives
    200 - 499
    LOL at this thread.

I have splits, I dive exclusively in Coz, I have never once regretted having them vs knee pain inducing whale fins. I can swim into currents (2-2.5kn), I can keep up with anyone else, I use less air, have less calf cramps, have less knee pain since I switched to splits.

To each is own, both types work perfectly fine in coz, all comes down to WHAT YOU PREFER - just like BC wars, regulator battles, DIY nuclear combat lol.

Heres my fin guide:

If you snap pics
    Don't have knee issues
    Are a loooong time full finner
    Do cave dives
    Shoot videos
    You might be a full finner

If you have bad knees
    Dont slow the pack up with a camera
    Don't shoot XXX underwater videos
    Aren't a full fin fanatic
    Can learn how to "flutter kick"
    Use lots of air
    You might be a split finner candidate

As Forest Gumps says, "That's all I have ta say about that".

/Insert snarky signature here

Registered

is Livin the Dream..

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Brules View Post
    LOL at this thread.

I have splits, I dive exclusively in Coz, I have never once regretted having them vs knee pain inducing whale fins. I can swim into currents (2-2.5kn), I can keep up with anyone else, I use less air, have less calf cramps, have less knee pain since I switched to splits.

To each is own, both types work perfectly fine in coz, all comes down to WHAT YOU PREFER - just like BC wars, regulator battles, DIY nuclear combat lol.
    I agree with most of the above, and it really is what you prefer. However, I do disagree with your fin guide in that while it may work fine for you, it's certainly not optimal for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brules View Post
    Heres my fin guide:

If you snap pics - I don't even carry a camera
    Don't have knee issues - I have terrible knees
    Are a loooong time full finner - This one fits me
    Do cave dives - I did the cenotes for a couple of days once
    Shoot videos - Never video
    You might be a full finner - I am

If you have bad knees - Again, terrible knees
    Dont slow the pack up with a camera - No camera
    Don't shoot XXX underwater videos - No Video
    Aren't a full fin fanatic - Not a fanatic, just like em better
    Can learn how to "flutter kick" - I can, but due to the knees I prefer a frog or modified frog kick. No pain at all, very good propulsion and control.
    Use lots of air - I have a very good SAC rate
    You might be a split finner candidate - I still prefer the Avanti Quattro's using a frog kick.
    According to your guide, with the exception of the air consumption issue, I'm the perfect candidate for the splits. However, I vastly prefer the full fins as it suits my style of diving better. I also wanted to point out that even with terrible knees, full fins are a very viable option to consider.
    Last edited by Firefyter; March 17th, 2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: edited for clarification
    Thomas

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed psychiatrist is our "friend."

Registered

is a Scuba Cowboy

Dives
    200 - 499
    LoL - it was mostly in jest......
    /Insert snarky signature here

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast