Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Fins for Cozumel

Registered

www.diveduino.com

Dives
    50 - 99

Fins for Cozumel

This will be my first trip to Cozumel and I was wondering which fins will be more appropriate for diving there..jet or split..help me with your experiences over there..

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Based on airline weight restrictions I would take the lightest pair. Most of the diving is drift diving and you do not need to fin very much anyway.
    MMM, robint and vlkr like this.

Registered

is not underwater at the time
    of this posting.

For the most part, I think water is water and fins is fins so take what you have.

If you have more than one pair, I'm with grf88 - take whatever is most packable. When I realized that all my family's diving is in Cozumel, we went with full-foot Cressi Pro Star fins. They were nice and light, have a big blade for those times we need to swim against the current (or two weeks ago when there was very little current and my whole family just stayed in place bewildered by the fact we weren't going anywhere until we remembered that sometimes you have to kick).

Thus, my official answer is "neither jet nor split", but only if you have that option without going to extra expense or hassle.
    MMM and DandyDon like this.
    Casa Suzana, vacation villa in Cozumel

Registered

cultural infidel

Dives
    200 - 499
    I am a bigger person so splits do nothing for me. I use slipstreams which are like jets and would use nothing else here. (or anywhere for that matter) Works for the SEALS works of me.
    You do drift a lot here but sometimes you need to get into a spot and you need to move.
    Also great for turtle kick in a swim through.
    The sea once it cast its spell holds one in its net of wonder forever.
    Jacques Cousteau

Registered

Waiting for the next dive...

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Split fins are not very effective against the current if you are like me and need to stop and take pictures. I use a mares blade fin. However, weight and bulk is also an issue so fins like the Hollis F-1 may not be a good choice that way. Im gonna drag my old beat up Mares Quattro fins down this trip.

Divemaster
    Badge

Dives for Fun!

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buton View Post
    This will be my first trip to Cozumel and I was wondering which fins will be more appropriate for diving there..jet or split..help me with your experiences over there..
    With Jet fins you need to know the optimal way to kick them....in which case they will be good anywhere. With Split fins a diver with no kicking skill whatever, can thrash them around, and move "ok" as long as they don't need to go sideways to, or against a current.

I would say get an instructor to work with you on optimal propulsion with Jets....or, get Freedive fins if you really want ease in a drift current, but know they are NOT for penetrating wrecks. If you were to take freedive fins, you put them diagonally in a large size suitcase with your clothing.
    Best are DiveR composite blades, but they are not cheap. Cressi Gara 300 LD are good for most divers who have never used freedive blades before...the DiveR's require kicking skills much like the Jetfins, plue the DiveR's will also stess weak ankles ( you have to gradually build up duration of dives with them).
    Regards,
    Dan Volker
    South Florida Dive Journal SFDJ.COM & www.facebook.com/WILD.DIVING

Registered

Needs underwater therapy!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by grf88 View Post
    Based on airline weight restrictions I would take the lightest pair. Most of the diving is drift diving and you do not need to fin very much anyway.

YUP..... take the lightest pair, and don't kick much, just drift with the other divers. The only time I every really kick is to stay still against the current to shoot video or photo.

robin
    my trip reports and photos: www.rnrscuba.net
    my videos: http://www.vimeo.com/user466791/albums
    next trip: ScubaClubCozumel, May 2014

Registered

is not underwater at the time
    of this posting.

Quote Originally Posted by tedgarner View Post
    I am a bigger person so splits do nothing for me.
    I realize this is the basis for holy wars, but I don't think split fins permit optimal maneuverability. For one thing, it's pretty difficult to fin backwards with them.

Quote Originally Posted by tedgarner View Post
    Also great for turtle kick in a swim through.
    What the heck is a "turtle kick"? I usually use a modified frog kick where there's a risk of stirring up silt and usually use a frog kick the rest of the time.
    Casa Suzana, vacation villa in Cozumel

Registered

is a Scuba Cowboy

Dives
    200 - 499

This is me with my helmet on ready for a fin war that could erupt at any second.....
    /Insert snarky signature here

Divemaster
    Badge

siempre estoy buceando...

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Even though Cozumel is drift diving and the general idea for lack of a better description is "go with the flow" I still prefer fins with lots of power. I usually use Jetfins (non-split variety) or OMS Slipstreams

I'd prefer to have the power available if needed to fight a current or hold my place in the current without having to resort holding onto something.

If you're doing any caverns/caves, I would also prefer a more rigid fin. This has an added bonus of only bringing one set of fins.

With that being said, I am not a split fin user so I am a bit biased but I do see a large percentage of divers in Cozumel with split fins on every trip and they all appear to make it back to the boat just fine so your mileage may vary.

Whichever your preference but I prefer to use jets or my slipstreams.
    Friends don't let friends buy Oxycheq products.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast