Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree297Likes

Thread: Diver missing today? 03/28/12

MSDT

Just waiting for the next trip

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by scubawife View Post
    Some divers have their own SMBs, some don't. ...
    Carry an SMB, even if it's a small one, and know how to use it. Having a whistle or other device is good too. If the boat doesn't see you in a few minutes you might need to get their attention. I'd rather apologize for being a little obnoxious then not be seen.
    When I dived the Great Barrier Reef nearly a decade ago, I was required to carry an SMB. If I didn't have one, one would be provided for me. When I dived the Galapagos years ago, I was required to carry both an SMB and an electronic signalling device (provided by the boat). I am surprised that an SMB is not required in Cozumel. If the government will not require it, I would think it would be easy for the dive operator to require it.

I carry an SMB on all dives, and I think failing to carry one on a drift dive is foolish.
    John Adsit
    Boulder, Colorado
    My Education Articles

Registered

Needs underwater therapy!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    1. since the lady was diving from a cruise ship, it can be surmised that she did not bring her own gear so was using rental gear which she was not familiar with and also that she was a beginner.
    2. since it says the DM did not know she was gone, it can also be surmised that she did not signal to him (ever boat dive I have ever done, the DM briefs that you need to tell him if you need to go up, for whatever reason, and your buddy always goes with you)
    3. since she was diving from a cruise ship, it can also be assumed that she was buddied with someone that she did not know and that neither of them was paying any attention to the other... a newbie mistake.
    4. AND we can all assume at this point that current had nothing to do with the disappearance.

All assumptions... but I think most likely all true.

I hope they find her alive, but the longer it goes, the less likely.

robin
    suprane and Jax like this.
    my trip reports and photos: www.rnrscuba.net
    my videos: http://www.vimeo.com/user466791/albums
    next dive trip: Carnival cruising - diving Cozumel and Grand Cayman, Feb 2015

ScubaBoard Veteran

VOTE DEMOCRAT it's easier than
    working

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    seems reasonable to me, absent any other facts in the matter.
    Perhaps she had limited experience or limited recent experience in the water. No matter, it's sad it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by robint View Post
    1. since the lady was diving from a cruise ship, it can be surmised that she did not bring her own gear so was using rental gear which she was not familiar with and also that she was a beginner.
    2. since it says the DM did not know she was gone, it can also be surmised that she did not signal to him (ever boat dive I have ever done, the DM briefs that you need to tell him if you need to go up, for whatever reason, and your buddy always goes with you)
    3. since she was diving from a cruise ship, it can also be assumed that she was buddied with someone that she did not know and that neither of them was paying any attention to the other... a newbie mistake.
    4. AND we can all assume at this point that current had nothing to do with the disappearance.

All assumptions... but I think most likely all true.

I hope they find her alive, but the longer it goes, the less likely.

robin

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    We are here in Cozumel and have heard of 1 - 3 divers lost from a 10am dive. We could see search going on until until late afternoon. It was with Sand Dollar Dive Center and at Santa Rosa. We have heard currents have been running strong but don't know circumstances. Haven't seen search continuing or heard anything this morning.

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

knows better, but that has
    not stopped him yet.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    After my first real trip to Coz last year I became a firm believer in carrying my own SMB, which I did this Feb, and used on all but one of the dives, before I surfaced. Way too easy even in normal currents there to become separated from others if you do your ascents separately, and there is no way I want to be surfacing in those waters without that marker above me, both to signal my own dive boat, and to also alert any other boats in the area that a diver is ascending.

I am not a big one for "More Laws", every time something goes wrong, but it sure would benefit the local dive industry themselves on Coz, to emphasize the need for each diver to have one on them, supply them when needed and demonstrate how they can be used prior to reaching the surface.

And no matter what, a DM in charge of a small group of divers should not lose track of their charges, especially as Coz has pretty tight rules about a local DM being required on every dive, and sets fairly small limits on the size of each group overseen by that DM. At least that is my understanding of the rules there, but then I am not terribly experienced at diving in this particular region, and I could be in error as to the rules involved here.
    Jax likes this.

[IMG]http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181070&stc=1&d=1396550 637[/IMG [
    popcorn, turn the last> [ to the left, like this> ]

custom Jewelery, inspired by my love of nature, and diving:

http://www.facebook.com/ringdoctor

Jax
    Forgive your enemies . .

. but keep your gun oiled.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by robint View Post

robin
    I'd like to applaud this statement!

I've found it very, very true in the 45 or so Coz dives I've been on.
    "Equality of opportunity or equality of outcome?
    One is consistent with a free people and the other requires a police state. Pick one."
    ~Cool Hardware52
    I, alone, am responsible for my health and safety, my actions and inactions.
    "If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris
    Ephesians 4:26 In your anger do not sin.

ScubaBoard Veteran

working

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    The only exception to your comments I'd have is that I don't believe it's a DMs job to heard certified divers who typically behave like cats. Sad is it is, the diver in question is responsible for her own actions. We don't know the circumstances but if it's true that she broke the surface then there is every reason to think she should have been able to keep things under control. So again, the exception I take is that the diver was responsible, not the DM.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsyjim View Post
    After my first real trip to Coz last year I became a firm believer in carrying my own SMB, which I did this Feb, and used on all but one of the dives, before I surfaced. Way too easy even in normal currents there to become separated from others if you do your ascents separately, and there is no way I want to be surfacing in those waters without that marker above me, both to signal my own dive boat, and to also alert any other boats in the area that a diver is ascending.

I am not a big one for "More Laws", every time something goes wrong, but it sure would benefit the local dive industry themselves on Coz, to emphasize the need for each diver to have one on them, supply them when needed and demonstrate how they can be used prior to reaching the surface.

And no matter what, a DM in charge of a small group of divers should not lose track of their charges, especially as Coz has pretty tight rules about a local DM being required on every dive, and sets fairly small limits on the size of each group overseen by that DM. At least that is my understanding of the rules there, but then I am not terribly experienced at diving in this particular region, and I could be in error as to the rules involved here.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    Before going to Coz last year, my Wife and I did our research. One of the first conclusions I came to was that we each needed a reel and SMB and audible signal.
    Even so, with currents as strong as those in Coz, I can see a person being swept away from an area rather quickly, even on the surface.
    It's inevitable that something will happen to someone, and all we can do is try to minimize the risks.

That being said, I remember Cozumel as a Caribbean magic carpet ride.
    Jax and BettyfromToronto like this.
    I'm too smart too have an ego.

Registered

ran out of status in 2009

Dives
    100 - 199
    Quote Originally Posted by scubawife View Post
    So one report says the DM knew she surfaced, but the boat didn't see her and kept following the group. The other says nobody noticed she left the group. Whatever the case, she ascended solo not that long into the dive.

I'm sure we've all see the scenario, or maybe even done it ourselves. Diving with a group and one person is low on air or has an issue and decides to go up. The buddy (if they have one) and/or DM watches them as they go up until they break the surface. Some DMs, depending on what point in the dive, will shoot their marker so the boat knows a diver is coming up. Others don't. Some divers have their own SMBs, some don't. Some have them and have no idea how to deploy them. I think that group diving, especially if you're in a small group and are not traveling with a dive buddy, it's easy to have this happen. I know divers who choose Cozumel because as a solo traveling diver they like the group aspect of the diving.

This isn't the first accident where a diver ascended solo. DMs can't see everything all the time. Divers need to take some responsibility too, both for themselves and their fellow divers in the group. If you see someone getting ready to go up alone, get the DMs attention if they haven't, or maybe even consider buddying up and going up with them, even if it does cut your dive. If you're the one that wants to ascend, get your DMs attention and also get someone to go up with you. Carry an SMB, even if it's a small one, and know how to use it. Having a whistle or other device is good too. If the boat doesn't see you in a few minutes you might need to get their attention. I'd rather apologize for being a little obnoxious then not be seen.
    Good points.

Scuba law as written by me to greatly increase your chances of survival.

Don't dive without a dive buddy.
    Where your buddy goes you go and vise-versa.
    Never be more than one breath away from your buddy and vise versa.
    If you insta-buddy with somebody, have a discussion with them prior to the dive, hand signals, how close you will be, no one surfaces alone... etc..

I can't keep track of the amount of dead diver reports I've read on scubaboard where the diver would probably be alive if they followed these rules.
    suprane and Jax like this.
    Mike

MORE COWBELL!

ScubaBoard Veteran

working

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Absent a medical condition you are probably correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Good points.

Scuba law as written by me to greatly increase your chances of survival.

Don't dive without a dive buddy.
    Where your buddy goes you go and vise-versa.
    Never be more than one breath away from your buddy and vise versa.
    If you insta-buddy with somebody, have a discussion with them prior to the dive, hand signals, how close you will be, no one surfaces alone... etc..

I can't keep track of the amount of dead diver reports I've read on scubaboard where the diver would probably be alive if they followed these rules.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast