Wich school on Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just a girl

Reaction score
Hi!

A vew weeks ago I started a thread about 'where to go with a big group of divers (beginners). Thanks for all your response!

Somebody woke my interest in Cozumel. So, these are a vew questions. Perhaps somebody can help me answering!

Wich diving school can handle a big group of beginners (about 20 persons), wanting to do the Open Water Course or just received OA brevet?

- a school who is reliable and big enough for such a large group of beginners
- a school who doesn't take more than 4 persons in a lesson
- a school whith teachers in English, but we prefer at least one in Dutch....
- a school who can pick us up from the hotel (San Miguel).

A friend of mine and I will be responseble for organising the dive holliday for the group. Because we know it 's a great responsebillity, we hope to get as much as information as possible!

Thanks a lot!

Marleen

just a girl once bubbled...
Hi!

A vew weeks ago I started a thread about 'where to go with a big group of divers (beginners). Thanks for all your response!

Somebody woke my interest in Cozumel. So, these are a vew questions. Perhaps somebody can help me answering!

Wich diving school can handle a big group of beginners (about 20 persons), wanting to do the Open Water Course or just received OA brevet?

- a school who is reliable and big enough for such a large group of beginners
- a school who doesn't take more than 4 persons in a lesson
- a school whith teachers in English, but we prefer at least one in Dutch....
- a school who can pick us up from the hotel (San Miguel).

A friend of mine and I will be responseble for organising the dive holliday for the group. Because we know it 's a great responsebillity, we hope to get as much as information as possible!

Thanks a lot!

Marleen

It might work better to run a "Cozume" SEARCH (see button at tope of page) on the "Mexico" forum, read for a few hours - taking notes, and narrow your question down.

You might also run a net search for Cozumel Scuba Operators, then start emailing them about Dutch speaking instructors. I'll bet that will narrow your search down quickly.

For those of you who are not OW certified, you can chose: (a) taking the pool and class training in Holland, then Referals for Certifying in Coz, (b) doing the whole course there, or (c) Resort Course training there - an option I would not suggest, but if you have anyone not sold on the idea of Certifying. You can stay at a resort that has an on site operator, but still use a different operator.

You know that most operators have tanks with Yoke valves, I suppose? If any of you have DIN regs, you may need adapters. There is one Coz operator that uses DIN, though, as you'll see on your SEARCH.

"All Inclusive" resorts are popular there, with food, wine, beer, and liquors all included in the price, but the food can get boring. Just returned two days ago from the Reef Club, which has a very nice beach, but not diver friendly. It's a hike from the boat dock to even the closest rooms, and the on site operator will not let you use their lockers unless you dive with them.

Good luck, don

What month are you planning the trip for? I have a friend who is in the process of expanding into a second shop location on Cozumel and could work out a great deal for you but won't be up and running for another couple weeks eyt.

Thanks Don!

I've done what you advised me! I did some searching on 'scubaboard' and would like to tell what I found and ask a more concrete question:

Aqua Safari draw my attention. They have big boats, that's confiniënt for a large group like us (at least 20 people).

- Who have experiënces with them, would it be good for a lot of beginners to use them?
- The Open Water Course will be given there in four mornings. Isn't that too less time? (I've done the course in Egypt and we had four full days to do the course!).

- Does anybody know a school with a Dutch instructor?

Teamheatwave, can you mail me some information? We are planning to go in july! meidje99@dolfijn.nl

Hope to receive some answers now!

Marleen

For hours of reading on Aqua Safari:
(1) Click the (Search) button at the top of this page;
(2) Type "Safari" in the Key Word line;
(3) Select "Mexico" forum below that; and
(4) Maybe select "Posts" rather than "Threads."

Find a Dutch speaking instructor will be a challenge, I think, for Cozumel. Maybe - if you email each opeator and ask...?

good luck, don

My favorite large dive operation in Cozumel is Dive Paradise. http://www.diveparadise.com/ They could handle a large group with no problem, but I doubt they have a Dutch speaking instructor. I think your best shot at that would be Eve Ackerman at Eve in Paradise. She is a PADI Course Director/Master Instructor and IANTD Advanced Instructor. I know she has taught courses in Europe and we once talked about the different languges she has taught in but I don't recall if Dutch was one of them. By her own description she is a Nordic Goddess. Her old web page isn't working and I haven't seen her for a couple years but the last email I could find on her was: eve@islacozumel.net

Good luck.

Joel
http://www.mxtravel.com/

Have you considered Aruba? There's decent diving (so I've heard) and plenty of Dutch speakers there. Bonaire is pretty close to there, too, and the diving is better (again, so I've heard); you might have better luck with a Dutch instructor there.

There is a woman named Barbara Dreissen who free-lances with Black Shark. She is from Holland and has been living in Cozumel for over 15 years. She is an EXCELLENT instructor and I would recomend her highly!! Tell her the sisters from Austin said hi!

Back
Top Bottom